The Student Room Group

Is anyone proud to be british

There seems to be no one on here whos proud to be British,apart from me. People are saying that the U.K is boring and our economy is bad,but ive lived in both Italy and the U.S.A,and they are,in my opinion are worse. No dont get me wrong,i love travelling,i love different cultures,but just because someone a place is sunny,doesnt mean its a good place to live. Im content here and as a hopeful Archaeology student,i couldnt be in a better country!! what are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Yes I am!
I'm incredibly proud to be British.... but I'm more proud to be Welsh overall lol. And I'm incredibly proud of the British history because we've had more influences of varies people and groups than any other country. Vikings. Saxons. Romans...even Egyptians... and that's only a fifth of them, you know?

Again... PROUD AS HELL TO BE BRITISH =D
Reply 3
Plenty of people are proud to be British. But plenty of this people disagree that the UK is a relevant country anymore despite having a large economy, having one of the top 10 militarises in the world and having large amount of influence and a rich history and culture.
We have something like the 17th best healthcare system in the world and some of the best universities in the world.

But hey nothing much to be proud of really right? :rolleyes:
I am.
Reply 5
our country is pathetic, its people are retarded, its products are fail tier compared to those of other countries, it is a country of betas. no, i'm not proud of this country, and i would go to america if it didn't cost a hundred thousand dollars to not be a mexican.
Reply 6
Sometimes when I'm on the Bus and I look at the architecture in places like St Pancras station, Big Ben and Leicester Square, I think to myself, this country is awesome. But the weather added with coldness (no pun intended) of people can be a downer
Reply 7
No. I'm proud to be English/Norwegian, but British means absolutely nothing to me and I really don't identify as such.
Original post by jolteon
our country is pathetic, its people are retarded, its products are fail tier compared to those of other countries, it is a country of betas. no, i'm not proud of this country, and i would go to america if it didn't cost a hundred thousand dollars to not be a mexican.

No offence mate,but you think were all retarded,but you dont think Americans are. Granted some are quite clever but come on! and our healthcare systems is rated one of the best in the world,thus Spain more or less adopting our system...
Original post by Aj12
Plenty of people are proud to be British. But plenty of this people disagree that the UK is a relevant country anymore despite having a large economy, having one of the top 10 militarises in the world and having large amount of influence and a rich history and culture.
We have something like the 17th best healthcare system in the world and some of the best universities in the world.

But hey nothing much to be proud of really right? :rolleyes:

No! of course not. Whats funny is that ive been around the globe,and ive never come across a more tolerable nation than the UK. People look up to us because of this,thats something to be proud of no? of course,there are pillocks who soak up the sun and read the daily mail on the Costa del Sol,but good riddance to them. I think the media just makes the UK look awful,when in fact,we are one of the few countries which at the moment are having an Economic growth,the others being Finland,Germany and France. Id rather be here than Greece,Spain,USA,Ireland,Italy or Portugal,poor buggers!!
Reply 10
Yes I am. :smile:
Yeah...why not? :smile:
Reply 12
Well kind of.

It's funny though, that people always seem to mention past achievements..
Britain has got its issues. And there are loads of them.

But Britain also has many things to be proud of, even relative to other countries, and we should celebrate them.

I agree that it can be seen as stupid to be patriotic - and as Bazlehman put it brilliantly "I am excedingly proud of things other people did" - but it's fun to support something and to celebrate something and I believe we should celebrate Britain's achievements.
Proud to be English not so much British.
Original post by tripleeagle
Britain has got its issues. And there are loads of them.

But Britain also has many things to be proud of, even relative to other countries, and we should celebrate them.

I agree that it can be seen as stupid to be patriotic - and as Bazlehman put it brilliantly "I am excedingly proud of things other people did" - but it's fun to support something and to celebrate something and I believe we should celebrate Britain's achievements.

Ditto

Im incredibly proud to be scottish..
Not sure if it counts as an answer to your question though
Local Unionist parties really encourage a sentimental approach to British patriotism.

To answer your question, no.

I'm only ever proud of the Irish rugby team (when they're playing well).
I'm not proud but I'm not ashamed. What is there to be proud of? By complete luck, you were born here. That's all.
Mostly; but the extent of liberalism and ignorance in Britain is damaging to one's nationalistic pride.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending