The Student Room Group

Family Rift on Israel Gaza

We are a middle class British-Saudi family.

When my older brother (who grad, Cambridge in SPS) joined the

Police for fast-track senior officer training my parents were proud.

But, he left home to London over year ago - we don't know where he lives - and now my father says he

is working as undercover in mosques and and other places (Unis) - looking out for dangerous radical Jihadi-types

but also pro-Palestine "extremist" types.

I love my brother but I am very torn; I feel he is too dedicated to his career and he should understand that he is (unknowingly) helping the Uk - in support of Israel .... My father wants him to rethink his work - but cannot communicate with him - it is breaking us all apart.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
It is sad to create a rift with your brother because he's doing what he wants in life. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and career choices, just let the guy do what he wants. It really should not divide your family.
Reply 2
Original post by saudibabe24
We are a middle class British-Saudi family.

When my older brother (who grad, Cambridge in SPS) joined the

Police for fast-track senior officer training my parents were proud.

But, he left home to London over year ago - we don't know where he lives - and now my father says he

is working as undercover in mosques and and other places (Unis) - looking out for dangerous radical Jihadi-types

but also pro-Palestine "extremist" types.

I love my brother but I am very torn; I feel he is too dedicated to his career and he should understand that he is (unknowingly) helping the Uk - in support of Israel .... My father wants him to rethink his work - but cannot communicate with him - it is breaking us all apart.

When did your brother join the police?
It sounds like your brother has made his ambitions and decision to end contact with the family crystal clear.

He is not seeking his relatives approval or feedback.
Nor is he attempting to persuade any members of the household he grew up in to agree with his opinions and ambitions.
He is focused on his career and building the future life that he wants.
It's time for his relatives to move forward and focus on building themselves a happy future.

Your brother has bravely chosen to fulfil a very sensitive police career role.
One where he does his utmost to assist the counter-terrorism efforts of international law enforcement agencies, uk intelligence services, uk criminal courts and uk armed forces in seeking to keep the uk & its mainstream population safe. from all manner of predators.
Both domestic and international.

Your brother wants to help the uk.
Thus he has chosen to commit to a career supporting the nation's efforts to protect both uk public order and uk national security.
From all sorts of criminal sewage, troublesome militants, fanatical cranks, sinister cultists and other rotten apples that constitute a serious threat to the uk or its closest allies.

Your brother understands the risks of his job having undergone extensive professional training and in-depth vetting.
He is aware of all the most forseeable consequences that come with his choice.
Your brother won't change his mind because his parents and other relatives he used to live with disagree with his decision.
The UK is fortunate to have so many dedicated and highly skilled patriotic citizens like your brother.
Reply 4
You use the word 'British' about your family and your brother went to Cambridge uni; why is it a problem that he 'supports the UK' in his job? Why did your family move and stay here if they don't support British values and ethics? Good for your brother for his brave career choice.
Reply 5
Your brother's line of work is already very dangerous as it is. Having family members know where he lives adds another layer of risk, especially when they disagree with his career choice. This can lead to him being doxxed by those who think want the best for him. This will only endanger his live, and the lives of those he has signed up to protect. Please, respect his decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending