The Student Room Group

Why are people so ignorant about suicide and depression?

Scroll to see replies

Let me ask a question to all you people who im debating with(a question you all seem to be avoiding)

Should we just let these people kill themselves?
Original post by Lewroll
So we should just let these people kill themselves?

We shouldn't call them weak or whatever it was because that shows absolutely no understanding of what they're going through. You make out like depression or schizophrenia are walks in the park it's ok just throw drugs at the people and everything is fine, yet actually it's not always. Mental pain isn't any less real than physical and your attitude stinks of ignorance. In many ways, in my experience at least, it's far worse.

I'd love for you to experience severe depression one day. Not only that, but I'd hope it wouldn't respond to treatment (as something like 30% of people with depression don't). Hell, maybe you'd be one of the lucky 1/5 people with schizophrenia who don't experience any relief from drugs, you can live your life in fear, with derogatory voices screaming at you 24/7 and hallucinations scaring the **** out of you. But it's ok, you're a big strong guy you'd pull yourself together, obviously. :h:

The daily mail has an article on depression today, shouldn't you be over there commenting how weak those people are?
Reply 162
Original post by Lewroll
hey are you calling me ignorant. Thats not nice:frown:

I will never feel suicidal because I am not mentally unstable, if I have a problem, I sort it out, I dont try to 'kill myself'.

Do you not see how dumb this statement is? :lolwut:
Original post by Little_My
So if a person you loved killed them selves, you would be not feel sympathy for them, and your life, societies life, is better off without them?
Also, you are assuming that there is help available for everyone and that it is adequate. I assure you, this is not the case.

For euthanasia, THOSE people have to go to doctors and let the doctors decide if they should allow them to kill themselves. Peoples would have to employed to do the procedure, and don't you think would effect them? Killing yourself effects everyone around you, assisted 'legalized suicide or not .

If someone i loved killed themselves i would be sad and angry. Sad because they did not come to any one for help. Angry because we never got the chance to help them. It seems like a wasted life to me. As euthanasia is illegal, what you said wouldnt happen in this country.
Original post by Onyx.
Do you not see how dumb this statement is? :lolwut:

How is it 'dumb'? Everyone is depressed at times. The aim is to sort out the depression. I would like to think that if i had a problem id try to sort it out rather than give up.
Original post by Sabertooth
We shouldn't call them weak or whatever it was because that shows absolutely no understanding of what they're going through. You make out like depression or schizophrenia are walks in the park it's ok just throw drugs at the people and everything is fine, yet actually it's not always. Mental pain isn't any less real than physical and your attitude stinks of ignorance. In many ways, in my experience at least, it's far worse.

I'd love for you to experience severe depression one day. Not only that, but I'd hope it wouldn't respond to treatment (as something like 30% of people with depression don't). Hell, maybe you'd be one of the lucky 1/5 people with schizophrenia who don't experience any relief from drugs, you can live your life in fear, with derogatory voices screaming at you 24/7 and hallucinations scaring the **** out of you. But it's ok, you're a big strong guy you'd pull yourself together, obviously. :h:

The daily mail has an article on depression today, shouldn't you be over there commenting how weak those people are?

Its funny but somehow you managed to avoid answering the question (again).So i will ask it again. Should we just let them kill themselves?
Many people can't understand depression unless they have experienced it themselves. I suppose they just assume that "it's all in your head" so you can also make it stop.
Funny how people are still avoiding the question...
and self harm.......
Reply 169
Original post by Lewroll
Let me ask a question to all you people who im debating with(a question you all seem to be avoiding)

I'm not posting on this thread anymore tonight because it's starting to piss me off.
But this is to clarify my position:
1. NOBODY should ever have to feel suicidal. It's a horrible way to feel, and EVERYBODY who feels like it deserves help and support and possibly medication if that is what they desire.
2. People who do feel suicidal are not weak.
3. People who COMMIT suicide are not weak.
4. People who have mental illnesses are not weak.
5. People who experience the pain of mental illness deserve empathy at the very least, and in most cases sympathy along with it. It is not their fault.

Anyone who feels suicidal or depressed or has any other sort of mental health issue should be treated to be best ability of the professional involved. This does NOT mean that if the person doesn't respond to treatment and commits suicide anyway, that they are weak.
People are well within their rights not to want medication. Some of the side effects are horrific. They aren't 'weak' either.

I think I covered everything there, no doubt with a few typos.
Original post by Lewroll
If someone i loved killed themselves i would be sad and angry. Sad because they did not come to any one for help. Angry because we never got the chance to help them. It seems like a wasted life to me. As euthanasia is illegal, what you said wouldnt happen in this country.

And euthanasia should never be legalized, either.

I am confused by what you are saying. On the one hand you say people who have been offered help but kill themselves anyway should get no sympathy, but then you say that people who you love never got the chance for help. How do you define help? You might not know if people got help or not, I don't think you should judge people in such black and white terms :s-smilie:
Original post by .Ali.
So I was reading this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28902489#post28902489

and I'm completely shocked and appalled at some of the responses, for example:

"Suicide is for the weakminded"
"Survival of the fittest, he deserved to die"
"I have no sympathy with people who do this selfish act" etc.

How can people be so heartless and ignorant? Also, surely people should be more angry at the bullies? That poor boy died because of some cold hearted, foul people who were complete and utter cowards.

Depression is a chemical imbalance for Gods sake, I don't know why people see it any differently from any other illness. Having it does NOT make you weak in any way, no more than having any other illness does. Why the ignorance and the judgement?

The problem here is the bullies, surely more should be done to combat bullying and abuse?

Urgh this makes me ridiculously angry. People who've never had depression or felt suicidal have no right to judge.

I agree completely. Good to see you've moved on from trolling :tongue:
Reply 172
Original post by Lewroll

No, we don't want people to kill themselves. We should strive to preserve their lives and treat their illnesses. If there is a risk of that happening then they should be sent to a secure hospital and given the best treatment available to them. Why people are annoyed by what you are saying is because you are ignorant on the subject of mental illness. Apparently these people can just 'get help' and then woop-dee-doo, life's good again. No. This isn't something that disappears with a therapy session or two--it will always be with you in some form or another. How can you say all of these people are weak? Deserve no sympathy? I don't need to reiterate what adam_zed has already, so rightly, said.

captain92
May I ask why you see such a difference between physical and mental pain?

Mental pain vs Physical pain. Both can have devastating effects and reduce the quality of somebody's life. That's why I think Captain92 was making a good point. Both can do the same things... so what's the difference? :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Captain92
I'm not posting on this thread anymore tonight because it's starting to piss me off.
But this is to clarify my position:
1. NOBODY should ever have to feel suicidal. It's a horrible way to feel, and EVERYBODY who feels like it deserves help and support and possibly medication if that is what they desire.
2. People who do feel suicidal are not weak.
3. People who COMMIT suicide are not weak.
4. People who have mental illnesses are not weak.
5. People who experience the pain of mental illness deserve empathy at the very least, and in most cases sympathy along with it. It is not their fault.

Anyone who feels suicidal or depressed or has any other sort of mental health issue should be treated to be best ability of the professional involved. This does NOT mean that if the person doesn't respond to treatment and commits suicide anyway, that they are weak.
People are well within their rights not to want medication. Some of the side effects are horrific. They aren't 'weak' either.

I think I covered everything there, no doubt with a few typos.

Well done, you covered everything. Except the all important answer to the question: should we just let these people kill themselves?

Why are all of you avoiding this question? Are you politicians?
Original post by Lewroll
Its funny but somehow you managed to avoid answering the question (again).So i will ask it again. Should we just let them kill themselves?

I avoided it because it wasn't relevant to your original argument about how weak these people apparently are.

However, from a personal point of view yes I'd say if they don't respond to treatment, it's unlikely that things will ever get any better and they hate their life enough to kill themselves, hell go right ahead. I believe people own their lives, they should have the freedom to end it if they wish and if they're gaining zero pleasure only pain from life will little chance of recovery then it's no different, imo, to euthanasia for physical problems. Mental pain doesn't hurt any less than physical, not that you'd know clearly.

Now I've said that you'll ignore any points arguing against your original statement and go off on some irrelevant tangent. I thought I set out quite well what my disagreements with you were, but oh well, off you go down that route. :rolleyes: Funny you talk about avoiding the question but you avoided every single ****ing point I made.

I sincerely hope it affects you one day. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Onyx.
Why people are annoyed by what you are saying is because you are ignorant on the subject of mental illness. Apparently these people can just 'get help' and then woop-dee-doo, life's good again. No. This isn't something that disappears with a therapy session or two--it will always be with you in some form or another.

Yeah, this, you put it better than me.
Reply 176
Original post by Lewroll
Well done, you covered everything. Except the all important answer to the question: should we just let these people kill themselves?

Why are all of you avoiding this question? Are you politicians?

I hate trollz.
Original post by Onyx.
No, we don't want people to kill themselves. If there is a risk of that happening then they should be sent to a secure hospital and given the best treatment available to them.

And here we have it! The all important answer! I was wonderign when this would come.
Now tell me, how is your answer to my question any different from what ive been arguing. Ive been saying we shouldnt let people kill themselves- you said we shoudnt let people kill themselves. i said we should treat and help them- you said we should treat and help them.
Reply 178
Original post by Lewroll
How is it 'dumb'? Everyone is depressed at times. The aim is to sort out the depression. I would like to think that if i had a problem id try to sort it out rather than give up.

No... Everyone is sad at times. Another ignorant thing. Many people have bouts of depression during their life though...
Original post by Captain92
I hate trollz.

Still havent answered the question mate. Im beginning to think you are trolling because youve managed to avoid my question several times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending