The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by River85
X

Forgive me for the cut, just didn't want to make my post seem formidable. :p:

I agree, they are very good unis* and purely being relatively new doesn't mean they can't be. What I meant was more that they haven't done anything to distinguish themselves from other very similar unis so that people will recommend (for example) Warwick over York.

So yeah, I would agree it may well be similar universities not having been in vogue with the same people that use TSR and not having cultivated the word of mouth reputation.

* I would argue that the vast majority of UK unis, to the extent that maybe only one or two aren't, are good unis ... but that's a different discussion.
Original post by Joinedup
Manchester?

If anything I thought it was being unfairly looked down on TBH due to it's league table position... to read TSR you'd think Nottingham for instance was miles and away superior to Manchester or Liverpool when really they're part of a tight bunch.

Yeah there's a lot of people on TSR overrating themselves on account of where they got in. That and haughtilly extrapolating incorrectly about the difficulty of obtaining a degree from a 92 university based on the UCAS offer and that they're actually having to work to keep their own grades up imo.

Must just be a different interpretation - I've always thought of Manchester as being overly-rated in TSR circles. :dontknow:

Latest