The Student Room Group

Why are the majority of people right handed/footed?

Blatantly in the wrong thread but whatevers.

So why are there so many more right footed footballers than left footed? and why are the vast majority of people right handed?

I'm left footed and right handed :smile:
Reply 1
...How am I meant to know :colonhash: I was born that way :colonhash: or at least I'm sure I was.
I think you are taught/encouraged to draw/write in one hand. That's why, like the person above me has pointed out, sometimes all families write with the same hand because they all influence each other. Just a theory though.

I have a friend who's ambidextrous, and she was encouraged to write with a different hand each time she wrote something.
(edited 13 years ago)
Because, by nature, cool people are only cool if they are in the minority :rolleyes:

Hence, I'm left handed and so is my grandad. We are blatantly the coolest people in our family. :h:
Reply 4
I'm ambidextrous. How exciting.
the power of wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness
thought this was interesthing though
Man during the stone-age time, used to kill animals using spears. After colonies came, man started to fight against other colonies and also among themselves. But as time passed, they noticed that when they attacked the left part of the chest (i.e. the heart) the kill was faster(i.e. the victim would die faster). Later when he started advancing in technology, he started to use a shield for defense. But as they knew that the weak point was on the left of the chest (heart), the shield was used with the left hand and attacking was done using the right hand. Thus man started to use the right hand more for attacking and thus the right hand was used for more specific and specialized fine movements and the left for broader, contextual movements as in a shield where accuracy is not so much required until the attack is blocked. Thus as years passed, man started using more of his right hand for fine movements like writing whereas the left hand for broader movements like gripping and adjusting the orientation of the page. However, this theory suffers from the fact that right-handedness is universal, even among primitive tribes that do not use shields and that women, as well as men, demonstrate a preference for the right hand. This theory also suffers from the fact that increased use and strength of the right hand would not be genetically inherited.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending