The Student Room Group

Why are Russell Group universities so revered?

Apart from Oxbridge, the majority of them are just mediocre. A lot of them hand out offers on the easy end of the achievement scale like AAB and even ABB. So why are they considered the best when they're nothing special?
as far as i knew, they are a collection of the uk's best universities for research, or 'research intensive universities' as they are called

i didnt think aab or abb is particuarly easy to achieve, i would have said either are good/better than average results
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by bloomblaze
as far as i knew, they are a collection of the uk's best universities for research, or 'research intensive universities' as they are called

Not so - just the biggest research universities. The 1994 Group, although definitely containing less eminent British universities, includes luminaries like Durham which are too small to compete on the same scale as the Russell Group universities.
Reply 3
Fact is, the "Russell group" is little more a collective voice for the purpose of lobbying now, it means little as a signifier of academic quality.

You have Bath university not in it, and you have Liverpool university still in it. Times changes, as does standards and qualities, but the membership has not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending