The Student Room Group

Uni of Southampton or Uni of Surrey

Hi there, I have offers from both Surrey and Southampton and I don’t know which one to pick.

Surrey is ranked 12th for psychology by the complete uni guide while Southampton is 17th. Southampton is in the Russel group though and as far as I could tell from visits they have the same kind of facilities for psychology. Just was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with these unis? And how important is the Russel group because I have no clue!
Original post by misskaties
Hi there, I have offers from both Surrey and Southampton and I don’t know which one to pick.

Surrey is ranked 12th for psychology by the complete uni guide while Southampton is 17th. Southampton is in the Russel group though and as far as I could tell from visits they have the same kind of facilities for psychology. Just was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with these unis? And how important is the Russel group because I have no clue!

Hi there, congratulations on your offers, that is amazing!

Although I don't study psychology myself, I can comment on Russell groups - they really don't make much difference. You will still definitely be able to get a job with a good degree from a non-Russell group. Additionally, a 1st from a non-Russell group will be regarded as better than a 2:1 from a Russell group. In your message I see that Surrey is higher in the league tables for psychology, which is great, but personally I always take the league tables with a pinch of salt, and try not to get too hung up on them. The most important thing is that the "vibe" of the University suits you - which University has nicer accommodation? Availability of clubs and societies, as well as exercise facilities/gym etc? Optional modules? Balance between coursework and exams? Facilities on campus like cafes, nature, library etc? Personally for me, I picked Surrey partly due to the beautiful campus - we have 3 lakes on campus, plenty of green spaces including fields and picnic benches where students love to study during Summer (and where we often host open air movie nights!)
Overall, yes the academic side is important, but if the facilities are similar, think about which University you would rather spend 3+ years at, as that is equally important.

Good luck with your decision. let us know if you have any more questions we can help with!
- Michelle :smile:
3rd year Biomedical Science student at Surrey
(edited 1 year ago)
Are you wanting to do a professional year (in industry) as part of your course? Surrey are very strong in this area.
im currently at southampton doing psychology (third year just finished) and it was awful. i do nt recommend it
Reply 4
Original post by saskiahdltea
im currently at southampton doing psychology (third year just finished) and it was awful. i do nt recommend it

why not?
Original post by 444user22
why not?

Hello,

I just wanted to reach out and say that I'm studying Psychology at Surrey. If you're contemplating this path, feel free to reach out with any questions - I'd be more than happy to help!

Thanks,
Sam (she/her)

Quick Reply

Latest