The Student Room Group

A level results

Guys I'm just thinking and I wanna know if people agree with me if not. Basically you know how through clearing people are able to get onto courses that they want with very low grades, then whats the point of actually trying for your a levels and getting good if you can still get onto your desired course anyway? I was thinking I tried hard in my A Levels and yes I got into a russell group uni for pharmacy but my friend who got Es and Ds got onto the same course in a non russell group uni. I doubt that going to a russell group or non russell group really matters bc at the end of the day its the same degree. Like im definitely glad people are given the opportunity but then I just think that I tortured myself with revision for nothing.
Original post by dadadeedadada
Guys I'm just thinking and I wanna know if people agree with me if not. Basically you know how through clearing people are able to get onto courses that they want with very low grades, then whats the point of actually trying for your a levels and getting good if you can still get onto your desired course anyway? I was thinking I tried hard in my A Levels and yes I got into a russell group uni for pharmacy but my friend who got Es and Ds got onto the same course in a non russell group uni. I doubt that going to a russell group or non russell group really matters bc at the end of the day its the same degree. Like im definitely glad people are given the opportunity but then I just think that I tortured myself with revision for nothing.

Universities want people as they pay money to study.
So for most courses that are not competitive (law, medicine…), first they select high quality people. This means they like the personal statement and predicted grades, and give an offer. If on results day, they still have vacancies to fill in a course. They will take people in. Even with low grades (which may not finish the course). Why?

Money. Each student pays £9250 each year. If there is a vacancy, they will try to fill it. An additional student in a class of many is not a lot different for the university. Just another person in the lecture theatre.

Universities like international students moreso as they have a higher fee
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Universities want people as they pay money to study.
So for most courses that are not competitive (law, medicine…), first they select high quality people. This means they like the personal statement and predicted grades, and give an offer. If on results day, they still have vacancies to fill in a course. They will take people in. Even with low grades (which may not finish the course). Why?

Money. Each student pays £9250 each year. If there is a vacancy, they will try to fill it. An additional student in a class of many is not a lot different for the university. Just another person in the lecture theatre.

Universities like international students moreso as they have a higher fee

Yea I know, but this wasn't really my question. My question was more like whats the point of actually trying to get good grades if everyone is gonna get accepted? I think you might have thought my question was why do unis take in people with low grades.
Original post by dadadeedadada
Yea I know, but this wasn't really my question. My question was more like whats the point of actually trying to get good grades if everyone is gonna get accepted? I think you might have thought my question was why do unis take in people with low grades.

I guess personal satisfaction. That I tried my best, worked hard, and my grades reflect this. It is a reflection of my character. Kind of like a personal achievement
Reply 4
Original post by BankaiGintoki
I guess personal satisfaction. That I tried my best, worked hard, and my grades reflect this. It is a reflection of my character. Kind of like a personal achievement

yeah ig so. thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest