The Student Room Group

Amazing Bands/Artists that No-one Knows.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The Tallest Man on Earth
futuristic retro champions :smile:
Reply 22
The Maccabees do NOT get enough play/recognition. They are amazing.

Also agree with Miike Snow & dan le sac vs Scroobius Pip. Giving Ratatat a listen now.
Synaulia
The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
Masshysteri
Arktau Eos
Smohalla
De Organographia
Ali Jihad Racy
Cobalt
Wardruna
Naseer Shamma
Dax Riggs

I know good music.
Reply 24
AAJ
OP
I saw them live in 2008, yeah I was young bit WHOAA. It was at o2 Wireless Festival and literally a week before the event they were put on to one of the smaller stages and at that point I was going through a huge RATATAT phase and needless to say, they were mindblowing. Literally 2 meters away from the both of them, theyre getting bigger in the US now, they were in KiD CuDi's Pursuit of Happiness :biggrin: x
Original post by glesni.
Love love love ratatat, my boyfriend introduced me to them mid-August.
Managed to see them in Brighton in December
They are ridiculously good live :biggrin:

To add to list of unheard of bands:
Mando Diao
Jennifer Rostock (German but still good)
Kyla la Grange
The Whigs (I saw them support Kings of Leon)

well if u like mando diao maybe u'll like Neverstore and Carolina Liar? first is also a Swedish band and the second is american but everyone except for the vocalist is Swedish x)
Original post by Calabash
Elbow are sooo underrated. Their music is innovative but moving and their lyrics are deeply poetic.

Absolutely! Elbow are brilliant.
Reply 27
AAJ
OP
Original post by MizzCupcakes

oh yeah.. I went by them playing during a festival..xD too bad not many were watching and I was only walking by to go to a different stage to see a Swedish girl play..dont remember her name but she was good too, but she only plays in Swedish so no help here..

but there is already a thread about this :/ cant u look for it before making a new one? because otherwise it just becomes redundant

Sorry I'm new here :/ x
Reply 29
well if u like mando diao maybe u'll like Neverstore and Carolina Liar? first is also a Swedish band and the second is american but everyone except for the vocalist is Swedish x)

Yeah definitely do like Carolina Liar, only have a couple of songs though..
any song recommendations by them or Neverstore? :smile:
Reply 30
An Emotional Fish and Spin Doctors.

Two amazing bands, with plenty of technical talent.

Rather than unknown, they have been unrighteously forgotten.
Elbow really aren't that unheard of - they won the Mercury Prize, right? And like a number one album after that?

Try:
The Mercury Program
Don Caballero
Kayo Dot
Botch
American Football
Mogwai

Just a completely random cross section of my itunes there haha.
The Small Faces
Caribou
Sigur Ros
L'usine
Four Tet
Lemon Jelly
The Pineapple Thief
The Shoes
Leila Arab
Pretty Lights
The Lowbrows
Reply 34
To name but a few:

Neal Morse
Spock's Beard
Transatlantic
The Flower Kings

...for fans of Genesis, Pink Floyd, ELP, Yes, King Crimson etc. (and for fans of modern progressive metal, to a lesser extent.)

Threshold
Haken
Vanden Plas
Seventh Wonder
Circus Maximus
Dreamscape

...for fans of Dream Theater, Opeth, Symphony X, etc. (and for fans of 70s prog, to a lesser extent.)

EDIT:

Gustav Mahler as well, as an underrated classical composer. Ask a random member of the public to name 10 composers, and Mahler probably won't feature in their list, but undeservedly so - as he was a genius on par with Beethoven (and much more so than Mozart - who is overrated IMO). Mahler wrote arguably the most cathartic, complex, beautiful, yet contradictory music ever IMO, so if you like classical music I suggest you give it a listen.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by nnnomi
The Maccabees do NOT get enough play/recognition. They are amazing.

Also agree with Miike Snow & dan le sac vs Scroobius Pip. Giving Ratatat a listen now.

Maccabees were pretty high up the bill on main stage at Leeds.

dan le sac vs Scrrobius Pip may be but if you youtube one of their most popular songs like thou shalt always kill it has tons of views.
Original post by glesni.
Yeah definitely do like Carolina Liar, only have a couple of songs though..
any song recommendations by them or Neverstore? :smile:

the first song I heard was "so much of not enough" u can find all their songs on spotify.. though they have a more punkish feel than carolina liar and mando diao so I dunno if u'll like em.. but then u have jack's mannequin where all their songs are amazing! :biggrin:
Reply 39
Everything Everything

Quick Reply

Latest