The Student Room Group

University American Football Question thread.

OK.

As title suggests, this is for any questions regarding playing American football at university. Whether you are already involved in Uni ball and want to talk about games or are planning to be involved and want to ask about rules/equipment/positions/the game itself then ask away.

I have played it at youth level and have friends playing for Portsmouth University so can advise the best I can. I'm sure other users will be able to help people as well.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
here are some useful links for you guys

BUAFL : The unversity league site
http://www.buafl.net/

Football America : Equipment site, definitely trusted as it's where a lot of uni teams get kit and stuff from, and they also make hoodies and such for some teams.
https://secure.footballamerica.co.uk/store/
Reply 2
Original post by S129439
OK.

As title suggests, this is for any questions regarding playing American football at university. Whether you are already involved in Uni ball and want to talk about games or are planning to be involved and want to ask about rules/equipment/positions/the game itself then ask away.

I have played it at youth level and have friends playing for Portsmouth University so can advise the best I can. I'm sure other users will be able to help people as well.

Have you played in American club leagues/familiar with American club leagues? If so, compare the competitiveness level/quality of players.
Reply 3
Original post by adam0311
Have you played in American club leagues/familiar with American club leagues? If so, compare the competitiveness level/quality of players.

You mean compare the level of play in british club american football to american club football in the US?

No contest. The British stuff isn't bad, you have to be physical, but more often than not the games are decided by who makes the most mistakes rather than talent.
Reply 4

Rarely anybody will get cut from a team at uni football. Quality of players really does depend as some years they may have an induction of players who just happen to be good and other years just happen to be crap.
Reply 5
Stupid question, but there can't be a challenge system can there?
Reply 6
Original post by Mann18

Correctomundo.
Reply 7
Original post by Mann18

Ask the dad in the stands if they can use his camera to watch the play back?
Reply 8
Original post by RNBen

If daddy's watching you play I think you should check your independence :P
Reply 9
Original post by jimbles
If daddy's watching you play I think you should check your independence :P

I never said my dad. :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by S129439
You mean compare the level of play in british club american football to american club football in the US?

No contest. The British stuff isn't bad, you have to be physical, but more often than not the games are decided by who makes the most mistakes rather than talent.

Original post by jimbles
Rarely anybody will get cut from a team at uni football. Quality of players really does depend as some years they may have an induction of players who just happen to be good and other years just happen to be crap.

I'm trying to decide whether I should do rugby or football. I'm not saying I'm amazing. But if I were to play football, I wouldn't want it to turn into an Army-Navy game of just rushing the ball every time.
Reply 11
I'm trying to decide whether I should do rugby or football. I'm not saying I'm amazing. But if I were to play football, I wouldn't want it to turn into an Army-Navy game of just rushing the ball every time.

Well a lot of the plays for most uni teams use running plays DUE to the time of the year most games are played during...
Reply 12
Position guide:

Firstly, I will say that playing is SO much harder than what you think it will be. I tried out for Quarterback and man it was hard. It takes loads of practice in pads. Without blowing my own trumpet, I was a pretty good QB (by english kid standards) during High School. I used to play with friends a lot and I could make all the throws. However once you pad up and you have a helmet and restricting pads to compete with, it is very difficult.

So anyhoo, here is a list of positions and what they require physically. Of course this relies on there being lots of candidates and there being competition and it is only general. At UK level, your hardly a write off if you don't fit the criteria.

Quarterback: Tall, 6 feet plus to be able to see over the line of scrimmage. I'm 6 ft 2 and trust me it is hard to see receivers when you have 5 or 6 hefty guys fighting right in front of you. Strong arm, can throw hard into the wind. Also big hands are a plus. When the ball gets wet you need as much grip as possible. Accuracy is of course needed but you can develop that by working with the wide receivers. Also, be prepared to scramble a lot. Pocket QB's are almost non-existent in the UK. Our game is all about running, with passing plays limited and only really used as surprise plays.

Running back: Depending on what type of running back you are you will need the following: If you are a speed back then height isn't really too much of an issue. However the smaller you are the better. If your a power back then size is key. You need height and weight and strong legs to push against linemen (you will regularly have 2 on your back). Both will need physical toughness. You will take a beating. It's mainly running plays in Uni and Club ball so you will be used a lot. However there are of course other running backs.

Fullback: Basically the same as a power back above. However be prepared to do a lot of lead blocking. So strength up top is needed.

Wide Receiver: Tall is preferable but at our level it doesn't matter too much. Strong hands is very important. Mostly however it's desire and courage. Running an over the middle route into traffic and committing to a catch is VERY difficult when you know your going to get creamed by a linebacker. Trust me, it's scary. You have to be committed to the catch else you wont make it and will just get hurt. Seeing as this is a running league, you will mostly be called upon to block on the outside which is hard. It takes time for a play to develop and so you need to block your cornerback well for a long time.

Tight End: Tall, strong, athletic, good blocker, good catcher, can run with the ball. Yep, tight ends do it all. Your team will most likely have back-ups and you will sometimes go out with two and so you don't necessarily need all these attributes but the best combination of these is great. Expect to be an extra linemen who occasionally makes a catch.

O line: Big, fat, strong, hard to move, angry. Simple. Centre is a bit more difficult because of the snap, but it isn't hard to master. Mental discipline is the biggest factor. Don't commit neutral zone infractions and most of all don't be scared by the big fat nose tackle staring you down before the snap. They literally breathe right in your face!

D line( Defensive Tackles): O-line attributes except faster and more athletic. O-line guys with good footwork are hard to beat so a combination of strength and speed is very useful when getting round them. Tackling is useful but mostly you just need to spook the QB out of the pocket or perhaps strip him. Sacks don't happen too much. 'Strong hands, good footwork and tackling ability are key areas' - as requested by user 296.

D line (Defensive Ends): Defensive ends are much the same as Defensive Tackles (DTs) except they play on the edge and as such are required to be faster than DTs. They need more athleticism to be able to get around blockers whereas DT's tend to go through them.

Linebacker: Strong, fast and a good tackler. No fear in the face of big running backs and always know where your assignment is. It can be very tempting you abandon your zone to go after the Quarterback but more often than not you leave a WR wide open.

Cornerback: Good tackling skills. This is why I wasn't a good DB. Lots of outside runs in uni ball and so it often falls upon the DB's to make the tackle. Usually you are the last line of defense and so need to have no fear or hesitation in launching yourself at a running back who by the time he reaches the second level is at full speed! On top of that, learn your zone and learn how to use bump-n-run effectively. If you can run fast then you're sorted. Speed to get to running backs and speed to stay with wide receivers. A lot of technical skill involved with footwork and reading. I would argue along with QB this is the hardest position.

Safety: The same as Cornerback except less man to man coverage. More often than not you wait deep as the last man who HAS to make the tackle. Quite a bit of pressure.

Kicker/Punter: Basically just a strong leg and calmness. Once the snap goes back 11 people want to kill you, and so people often panic and sacrifice technique and consequently give the other team field position and even a chance at running one back.

This: http://video.about.com/football/How-to-Kick-a-Field-Goal.htm - for being a kicker. And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G-YDbFtfDQ&feature=related - for punting ( a lol video)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by RNBen

:rofl:
Reply 14
Original post by S129439

O line: Big, fat, strong, hard to move, angry. Simple. Centre is a bit more difficult because of the snap, but it isn't hard to master. Mental discipline is the biggest factor. Don't commit neutral zone infractions and most of all don't be scared by the big fat nose tackle staring you down before the snap. They literally breathe right in your face!

D line: O-line attributes except faster and more athletic. O-line guys with good footwork are hard to beat so a combination of strength and speed is very useful when getting round them. Tackling is useful but mostly you just need to spook the QB out of the pocket or perhaps strip him. Sacks don't happen too much.

That's not really a fair assessment of either side of the Line. Snapping the ball isn't as easy as you may have people believe. Anyone can lazily snap it, but a strong, fast accurate snap is difficult to learn to do well.

Also, tackling is far more important than you've made out for Defensive line. Strong hands, good footwork and tackling ability are key areas. D-line play the run as well as the pass.
Reply 15
Original post by 296
That's not really a fair assessment of either side of the Line. Snapping the ball isn't as easy as you may have people believe. Anyone can lazily snap it, but a strong, fast accurate snap is difficult to learn to do well.
Also, tackling is far more important than you've made out for Defensive line. Strong hands, good footwork and tackling ability are key areas. D-line play the run as well as the pass.

Agreed, I can imagine snapping the ball accurately being difficult enough (especially long snaps) but add the fact that it has to be quick enough to give the QB time to do something with it before he's killed and baby, you got a stew goin'.
Reply 16
Original post by Mann18
Agreed, I can imagine snapping the ball accurately being difficult enough (especially long snaps) but add the fact that it has to be quick enough to give the QB time to do something with it before he's killed and baby, you got a stew goin'.

Long snaps are dealt with usually by a different guy, however it can be the centre so your right about that, it is a different technique. And snapping doesn't take that long to do right. Admittedly it isn't a first time job, but it really isn't the hardest skill around. Centre's should be far more concerned with handling the nose tackle.

Original post by 296

And yeah that is probably fair. However I've noticed most runs are dealt with by linebackers. Although here we play 4 or sometimes even 5 down linemen, so I take your point.

I've never played line, so it was only ever going to be my best guess and a few questions asked of my mates. I will change it now.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by S129439
Long snaps are dealt with usually by a different guy, however it can be the centre so your right about that, it is a different technique.

Ah right.

I'm still gutted about really having to be over 6" to be a good QB.
Screw it, I'll just roll out :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Mann18
Ah right.

I'm still gutted about really having to be over 6" to be a good QB.
Screw it, I'll just roll out :biggrin:

Well like I said it's not imperative. My QB at Birmingham Bulls was about 5 ft 10 and he had some good throws. He made up for it with running ability and accuracy.

However, people below 6 ft will have problems seeing over the line (unless it's an abnormally short line). If you drop back a lot or roll out then it is better but you risk being hit.

This is a general guide. Drew Brees is only 6ft and he is a pro, so at our level you can get away with being below it.
Thread needs more bigging up Defensive ends imo.

Quick Reply

Latest