The Student Room Group

BPTC Scholarship Interview

Hey folks,

In a couple of months time I have a BPTC scholarship interview with Inner Temple. I was wondering if anyone who has been through them had any advice? I won a GDL award last year, but am aware that a higher standard will be expected this year, including completion of a legal problem.

Many thanks,

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was actually under the impression that those who got a scholarship for the CPE/GDL year were guaranteed an award of at least the same amount for the BPTC year - Inner Temple is the only Inn that does this. And there is no further interview.

Of course, if you received a minor award, then you're also entitled to apply again.

The interviews are straightforward - I had a panel of four. The legal element is to read a case and then discuss it with the panel, they asked questions (it was an unreported case so you can't second guess what will come up, though you get to choose the area, last year it was civil, family and crime if I recall correctly).

Interview is about 20 mins.

Good luck!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice. You're quite right, an award equivalent to what I got for the GDL is guarnteed for the BPTC, but as GDL awards are lower than the BPTC (and the BPTC is much more expensive, plus this year I did the distance course, meaning I studied from home to avoid living expenses, not possible next year!), I was advised to apply again, as I have effectively nothing to lose, and potentially lots to gain. No matter my performance in the interview, they'll still give me the GDL level funding again, which is very generous of them!
Reply 3
I was awarded a GDL scholarship from Middle Temple last year. Unlike Inner, Middle temple do not guarantee the same award for the BPTC; I'm wondering if anyone has, or knows of anyone who recieved a scholarship for the GDL from Lincoln's, Gray's or Middle only to then not recieve one for the BPTC.

It makes sense that Inner guarantee funding for the BPTC as for thoes of us who have no other way of funding the BPTC would be left stranded after completing the GDL.

Nina
Reply 4
Original post by Nina81
I was awarded a GDL scholarship from Middle Temple last year. Unlike Inner, Middle temple do not guarantee the same award for the BPTC; I'm wondering if anyone has, or knows of anyone who recieved a scholarship for the GDL from Lincoln's, Gray's or Middle only to then not recieve one for the BPTC.

It makes sense that Inner guarantee funding for the BPTC as for thoes of us who have no other way of funding the BPTC would be left stranded after completing the GDL.

Nina

Not sure it does make sense. What about if you received only a 'pass' on your GDL? Why should you then receive a guaranteed award when other candidates are more meritorious?
Reply 5
Did anyone have an interview at Middle for a BPTC scholarship last year? If so what sort of questions were you asked...and was there a legal problem with this?

Thank you!
Reply 6
Anyone had an interview for a Gray's Inn BPTC scholarship? Any hints?
Reply 7
Hi, anyone know about the questions at the Lincolns Inn Scholarship interview? And how likely are you to get an interview? Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by pinkflame1
Hi, anyone know about the questions at the Lincolns Inn Scholarship interview? And how likely are you to get an interview? Thanks

Did you just get the interview notification? They sent us a note on possible questions and the structure of the interview.

I asked about likelihood on my tour of the Inn. I recall that they interview 200 people for approx 100 awards.
Reply 9
Original post by resipsaloq
Did you just get the interview notification? They sent us a note on possible questions and the structure of the interview.

I asked about likelihood on my tour of the Inn. I recall that they interview 200 people for approx 100 awards.

Yup they give some examples of things they might ask in the interview letter.
Reply 10
they don't give you the questions so much but when they invited me for the interview they said i had to demonstrate my intelligence through a series of questions relating to legislation and my opinion would be asked on a current issue of law in the media...im hoping its going to be the shake up in legal aid...nice and easy lol!
Original post by pinkflame1
they don't give you the questions so much but when they invited me for the interview they said i had to demonstrate my intelligence through a series of questions relating to legislation and my opinion would be asked on a current issue of law in the media...im hoping its going to be the shake up in legal aid...nice and easy lol!

Actually it says "You will be expected to demonstrate intellectual capacity by dealing with questions of law." Law, not legislation.

I wouldn't count on there being questions about public funding of legal services. You might get a panel who don't practise in areas where this is a concern. On the other hand, you might. But they could just as easily ask about the ECHR or the decision in the Assange extradition (to take two examples off the top of my head).
Reply 12
Hi,

I'm also going for an interview at Inner Temple for scholarships and was wondering if anyone could give me help on the case opinion we will need to give?
I know the specifics can only be done ourselves when we read the case, but I was wondering if anyone could help on how much detail we are expected to go into? Or even a few general examples of what we are meant to do in response/what the panel may ask us in relation to our chosen case or if they simply ask to give an opinion?

Also as to what other questions may pop up if anyone has gone for scholarships in the past?

Thanks! Good Luck!
Reply 13
Original post by Jessica211
Hi,

I'm also going for an interview at Inner Temple for scholarships and was wondering if anyone could give me help on the case opinion we will need to give?
I know the specifics can only be done ourselves when we read the case, but I was wondering if anyone could help on how much detail we are expected to go into? Or even a few general examples of what we are meant to do in response/what the panel may ask us in relation to our chosen case or if they simply ask to give an opinion?

Also as to what other questions may pop up if anyone has gone for scholarships in the past?

Thanks! Good Luck!

If you have facebook, search for Inns of Court Scholarship, there's a group where people post there experiences. I've found the Inner ones quite helpful in prep for mine.
Reply 14
Thanks, they were helpful :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by resipsaloq
Not sure it does make sense. What about if you received only a 'pass' on your GDL? Why should you then receive a guaranteed award when other candidates are more meritorious?

Point taken. However, the Inns will not have the candidates GDL results before they decide who to award BPTC scholarships to. There will always be exceptions to the rule for but surley it would be a waste of money help fund someone through their GDL year (£8000+ in many cases) only then to not award that person anything for their BPTC year and potentially reducing their chances of ever getting to the bar. BTW I'm speaking on behalf of thoes of us who do not have a cats chance in hell of getting a bank loan to fund the BPTC.

But as I said, I do take your point. I suppose I'm simply venting my own anxieties about not getting a BPTC scholarship after having recieved one for the GDL.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Nina81
Point taken. However, the Inns will not have the candidates GDL results before they decide who to award BPTC scholarships to. There will always be exceptions to the rule for but surley it would be a waste of money help fund someone through their GDL year (£8000+ in many cases) only then to not award that person anything for their BPTC year and potentially reducing their chances of ever getting to the bar. BTW I'm speaking on behalf of thoes of us who do not have a cats chance in hell of getting a bank loan to fund the BPTC.

But as I said, I do take your point. I suppose I'm simply venting my own anxieties about not getting a BPTC scholarship after having recieved one for the GDL.

I think pretty much all of us fall into the category of being in serious trouble when it comes to bank loans. I tell you, I'd be delighted if I could sign up for a student loan on the terms that my undergraduate contemporaries are protesting about.

For the record, I completely oppose the tutition fee rise, and think all higher education should be state funded, but I'd still rather a state-backed, no pressure loan than a private one where the banks will be looking to make a profit on it.
Anyone heard from Gray's Inn yet regarding outcome of interview?
Reply 18
Hi LegallyGifted,

I am waiting to hear from Gray's Inn as well, when did you have your interview? I had mine on February 23rd...three weeks ago today.

I was hoping to hear this week.
Reply 19
I heard from Gray's inn today, 3 weeks after interview. Good Luck to anyone else who is still waiting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending