The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

There is a timetable thing on the website somewhere with the location of where every course is being held....... but I cant find it at the moment, Ill have a look and post the link if I find it.

EDIT: found it, just go to http://timetable.st-andrews.ac.uk/webtt/ select modules then look up your module it will tell you where and when its held.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2161
Steeeeevo

EDIT: found it, just go to http://timetable.st-andrews.ac.uk/webtt/ select modules then look up your module it will tell you where and when its held.

yeah that one sucks, only one of the modules I needed to look up was there :eek:
I'd like to say thankyou to all the St Andrew's people that were helping out at the open day yesterday, the day was fantastic and you were all very lovely and helpful :smile: yay :smile:
Reply 2163
la_banane_verte
I'm not presuming to know anything about your financial situation, but I do know people here who get the full grant and the full maintanance loan from the government, and manage fine, so money doesn't have to be a huge issue.

I think there's also a Comp.Sci scholarship of £500. Not a massive amount of money, but it's something.

Yeah loads of people get the Comp. Sci one, I got it and spent it on a skiing holiday then quit Comp.Sci the next semester
I live on grants and my student loans.

The grant is free money - rejoice!
ok, so if say the maintenance grant can pay for halls...standard catered for example, that leaves only about £400 by my calculation...what other grants are available to help with other expenses throughout the year?
How much does the golf cost? Now that's a damn good question!
Long Jo(h)n Silver, yarrr
ok, so if say the maintenance grant can pay for halls...standard catered for example, that leaves only about £400 by my calculation...what other grants are available to help with other expenses throughout the year?

Exactly my problem! :frown:
After Halls, I'll have something like £600 left for the year and i really don't want to have to get a job in my first year! :confused:
chester_2005
Exactly my problem! :frown:
After Halls, I'll have something like £600 left for the year and i really don't want to have to get a job in my first year! :confused:

yeah exactly. I come from a fairly poor family so i'll have no help from parents, that education grant just goes as a part of your mainenance grant so that's useless as far as more money is concerned. I also have to pay for travel from brighton to st andrews and back each holiday...which is bordering about £70 half the time. i think if i just had an extra £800 i'd be ok. maybe not even that much.
Reply 2169
MarshallM
How much does the golf cost? Now that's a damn good question!

That is a good question!
As far as I'm aware, if you're actually interested, there are 'smart' cards you can buy that give you 1000 balls (20 buckets of 50 balls) I think it works out £4 cheaper, and I know that the short game practice area is about £2 to get in for 45mins!

I'm golf mad, and a lot of my weekly budget is going on golf!! I already play a little over a 1000 balls a week, but then its really cheap at my club, only about £35 (cheap compared to £50!), but then again this is St Andrews! Hopefully I can get good enough to get an R&A bursary, but I doubt that'll happen!
Wasps26
That is a good question!
As far as I'm aware, if you're actually interested, there are 'smart' cards you can buy that give you 1000 balls (20 buckets of 50 balls) I think it works out £4 cheaper, and I know that the short game practice area is about £2 to get in for 45mins!

I'm golf mad, and a lot of my weekly budget is going on golf!! I already play a little over a 1000 balls a week, but then its really cheap at my club, only about £35 (cheap compared to £50!), but then again this is St Andrews! Hopefully I can get good enough to get an R&A bursary, but I doubt that'll happen!

Thanks - that's something! I wonder if there are student deals on any of the courses. Having said this, I'm pretty bad... handicap of 24! :biggrin:
Reply 2171
MarshallM
Thanks - that's something! I wonder if there are student deals on any of the courses. Having said this, I'm pretty bad... handicap of 24! :biggrin:

Thats not bad at all! About the Student deals I don't think there are any, I think there's just a flat rate for adults, students/Senior Citizens, and then Children. Handicap of 24 would be easy to decrease if you can play regularly enough, moving from the 20s to the 10s is easier than Mid 10s down to say 7 or 8! :biggrin:
I went to an open day at St Andrews last week, and really really loved it. But the Scottish system of doing 3 subjects year one and two confused me a little. I want to do Psychology which can be done as either a BSc or an MA. Does my choice have any effect on what other subjects I can do in the first 2 years?
I've got a more science-y background, I'm going Biology, Psychology and Maths for A levels, but some of the arts subjects, like Social Anthropology, really intrigued me.
TheOneBehindTheMask
I went to an open day at St Andrews last week, and really really loved it. But the Scottish system of doing 3 subjects year one and two confused me a little. I want to do Psychology which can be done as either a BSc or an MA. Does my choice have any effect on what other subjects I can do in the first 2 years?
I've got a more science-y background, I'm going Biology, Psychology and Maths for A levels, but some of the arts subjects, like Social Anthropology, really intrigued me.

In short... no, you can do whatever you want in the first 2 years, even if you are doing an MA in English you can still do for example Physics and vice versa, it will not affect your overall degree.
Reply 2174
Not quite true for Psychology.

If you do, say, MSc Psychology, you can only take 40 credits of "arts" - e.g. linguistics etc for the ENTIRE 4 year course.

Viceversa for MA Psych.
Wasps26
Thats not bad at all! About the Student deals I don't think there are any, I think there's just a flat rate for adults, students/Senior Citizens, and then Children. Handicap of 24 would be easy to decrease if you can play regularly enough, moving from the 20s to the 10s is easier than Mid 10s down to say 7 or 8! :biggrin:

Shame, I would have to save up before going to uni then! Or invest in some night vision goggles.
Reply 2176
MarshallM
Shame, I would have to save up before going to uni then! Or invest in some night vision goggles.

I know what you mean, golf is a very nasty habit! Luckily for me, the whole taking a year out thing has helped me in that, basically from March to July/August I'm going to work full time so I'll have enough money to pay for the golf on a weekly basis, and hopefully also save enough so I can stay over the summer in 2010, when the British Open is in town!! :cool:
I could put the money towards something useful like paying insurance on a car, or just away so I have something towards a flat or something but no....my heart tells me it must go towards the most noble pursuit that is stalking Phil Mickelson! Aaaah well! :biggrin:
Wasps26
I know what you mean, golf is a very nasty habit! Luckily for me, the whole taking a year out thing has helped me in that, basically from March to July/August I'm going to work full time so I'll have enough money to pay for the golf on a weekly basis, and hopefully also save enough so I can stay over the summer in 2010, when the British Open is in town!! :cool:
I could put the money towards something useful like paying insurance on a car, or just away so I have something towards a flat or something but no....my heart tells me it must go towards the most noble pursuit that is stalking Phil Mickelson! Aaaah well! :biggrin:

Sounds like a plan, I'm sure you can rent your room over summer? Now I want a St. Andrews offer!
Does anyone know if St Andrews does post - offer visit days like Edinburgh for example? Sorry if this question has already been asked!
The Highlander
Does anyone know if St Andrews does post - offer visit days like Edinburgh for example? Sorry if this question has already been asked!

Yes, most Universities do, you will / should have received information with or shortly after you received your offer. If not contact Admissions or your department who will be able to help you.

Latest

Trending

Trending