The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

LandEcAbs
I missed my offer by one point... what do I do? who do I call?

Ghost Busters?

Admissions may be a better bet though.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
hahahahhahaah.... orignal. I actually found that fairly funny..

Yeah thanks, I just called and emailed them

WHat do you think the chances of them letting me in are?
LandEcAbs
hahahahhahaah.... orignal. I actually found that fairly funny..

Yeah thanks, I just called and emailed them

WHat do you think the chances of them letting me in are?

Slim, they aren't known for being especially compromising. (though if they have overdone this years belt tightening you may have a chance).

What did you apply for?

Good luck.
Sustainable developement.. I only missed it by one point... hmmm

We shall see
Reply 4164
LandEcAbs
Sustainable developement.. I only missed it by one point... hmmm

We shall see

a point? like an IB point or what? if it is, then you can call admissions and ask them to hold your application while you apply to get some exams re-examined. it might bump you up a point or two and get you in anyways.

that's how i did it. :cool:
Reply 4165
Can you resit IB exams?
Reply 4166
Hey

I can't find a telephone number for accommodation services. Does anyone know what it is please?

Reply 4167
Bucky!

Try (0)1334 462510. If you're an entrant undergraduate and you want to skip the annoyingly long recorded message, press 2 when it starts.
So what are these famous house parties like then? :biggrin:
Reply 4169
necessarily benevolent

What "famous house parties"? :|
M_E_X
What "famous house parties"? :|

:eek:
necessarily benevolent

Guess us freshers will have to change this!
necessarily benevolent

My experience of these is somewhat biased, given that I've been predominantly to house parties hosted by Maths/Physics/Chemistry students. I've no idea if other students have Pie parties to celebrate Pi day, but...

You also need to bear in mind that I'm not a big drinker. My accounts of house parties will be quite different to some other people's. I've been to parties consisting of a house full of drunk people, but I rarely have anything exciting to report about them. I tend to remember some random drunk bloke being a bit pervy, or remember the dirty pint in whatever drinking game was being played. Do. NOT. Drink. The. Dirty. Pint.

Some particularly memorable parties include:

1) The one where an entire house, bar the kitchen, was converted into a ravetastic neon explosion of noise, lights, glowsticks and little tubes of vibrant body paint. I knew about 3 people there, so it was fairly overwhelming in its awesomeness. I think I ended up with cat's whiskers drawn on my face in orange and green and purple... I'm not sure. There was definitely green alcoholic stuff in a fountain :biggrin:

2) My academic family's parties, hosted by my academic aunt. These were fairly tame in comparison to 'THE RAVE CAVE!!!' experience, but we spent a lot of time playing/inventing silly games, eating cake-sized birthday cookies, possibly drinking mulled wine (although that might have been a different occasion), and listening to the most animated re-telling of 'The Gruffalo' (recited entirely from memory). This kind of party is great for getting to know new people and as an excuse to catch up with academic family members that you never see otherwise.

3) Raisin parties! These can be anywhere in a big spectrum. I prefer the ones featuring lots of silly games and challenges [e.g. 'Children! Race around that pond! First one back through the window wins!'], an array of party food, and enough nice alcohol for people to be merry and enjoy themselves.

4) Mathmo parties - these include the legendary Pi Parties, which begin with many pies and sometimes end up watching the sun rise over West Sands, with much scampering around via various landmarks of the town, all-night garages, randomer's kitchens and places you never knew existed. It's frustrating the the majority of people who participated in these parties have graduated :frown:

Edit:
5) Parties involving absinthe. These are either very memorable or mostly forgotten...
Numbers 2 and 4 sound like a lot of fun!
Reply 4174
All except 5 sound like fun, especially number 1 xD
I like the sound of all of them, to be honest.

I'm currently in cabin party mood, 10-15 people in my cabin getting very drunk and thinking of fantastic things to talk about (ha) and generally putting the world to rights. :smile:
Reply 4176
Has anyone here only gotten into a general degree at some point or know of people who have retaken the year?
At the moment I've only got a general degree but reading about it on the st.a website is confusing, it seems to say the first 2 years are the same as a normal degree and if my grades are good enough I can move to a proper Bachelors or whatever...
Aihara
Has anyone here only gotten into a general degree at some point or know of people who have retaken the year?
At the moment I've only got a general degree but reading about it on the st.a website is confusing, it seems to say the first 2 years are the same as a normal degree and if my grades are good enough I can move to a proper Bachelors or whatever...

I'm not quite clear on the questions you're asking here, but I'll have a go at answering.

I know people who have retaken a year (for health reasons though, not just because they did poorly)...what exactly did you want to know about retaking?
You say you only have a general degree - do you mean you have an offer for a general or you've graduated with a general? If it's the first then in the first two years of a general you will do the same courses as people who've been given offers for honours degrees. Then if your grades at the end of second year are good enough (normally above 11), you may be allowed to switch on to the honours degree, which means you will have to follow a more rigid programme of study than if you just stayed on the general.
ImperceptibleNinja
'Children! Race around that pond! First one back through the window wins!'.

I think I lost this miserably. How sad. :p:
Reply 4179
fg08
Can you resit IB exams?

Only at the end of the next year.

Latest

Trending

Trending