The Student Room Group

Buying a new digital camera...

Hi,

I've decided I am going to buy a new digital camera. I don't really want to spend more than £150 (I could stretch to £200 if it was really worth it), but I'm not really up-to-speed on the latest models. I'm hoping someone here might be...

I basically want as many megapixels as I can get on the aforementioned budget (probably not more than 3?) and obviously a good camera from other points of view too, but it will only be for amateur photography, none of that manual stuff I wouldn't think. Any advice on models to avoid or particularly good ones...?

Thanks,

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
amazon.co.uk are very competative on cameras in that range, theres a sony one and a kodak one about that price with good zoom and 3megapixels
Reply 2
i road-tested a few when my parents bought one, in fact, they bougtht one each, and they wanted different models.

in the end though ,they ended up getting the same one cos it was by far the best out there.
i thin it was a Canon Powershot A70 if i remember rightly, so have a gander at one of those :biggrin:
Reply 3
rahaydenuk
Hi,

I've decided I am going to buy a new digital camera. I don't really want to spend more than £150 (I could stretch to £200 if it was really worth it), but I'm not really up-to-speed on the latest models. I'm hoping someone here might be...

I basically want as many megapixels as I can get on the aforementioned budget (probably not more than 3?) and obviously a good camera from other points of view too, but it will only be for amateur photography, none of that manual stuff I wouldn't think. Any advice on models to avoid or particularly good ones...?

Thanks,

In my experience the cheaper makes though may have all the bess whistles and great mega pixel capacity tend to use CMOS based CCDs which cause the image to be slightly grainy. I would stick with a well kown brand such as Fuji, Olympus, Pentax etc.

Morgan Computers is a very very good source for good quality digital cameras

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk

With cameras its quality and not quantity that counts, just like HIFI. My amp has about 4 buttons on it and costs £250.
Reply 4
http://digitalcameras.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/124901/4033691.html

this is the camera i've got. 4 megapixels and a top resolution of pics of 2288 by 1712. comes with a 16mb card which will hold 25-30 top resolution pictures

good little camera, only (slight) drawback is the xd picture cards it uses for memory, a but expensive at the moment (128mb costs about 40 quid) but they are coming down in price.
Reply 5
I bought my first digital camera a couple of weeks ago, the Nikon Coolpix 3100, it has 3.2 effective megapixels, and so many cool extra things! (12 scene modes, phtot assist, video clips,3x optical zoom, automatic functions etc as well as the normal stuff like timer, anit red eye, flash...) I'm really pleased with it, its so simple to use, even for a novice like me! Putting the pics onto my PC is easy but I'm still learning about the software, I'm not great at computing and I'm still in the middle of exams, so will have a play around next week but the reviews I read before hand say the software is great & easy to use. It cost a little under £200, but I've seen the same one cheaper in PC World! (Jan sales though) I would say its great for amatuer (sp?) photography but also usable for more detailed (terminology?) use, I intend to use it for photographing all my lovely archaeology related stuff! (museums, sites, features etc...)

One recomended to me was the Fujifilm A302 (I think thats what it was, it was a while ago now!). My sisters boyfriend loves it, he uses it for taking pics of stars & planets (he's a Kings Physics bloke!). I think it was £100-£140ish, has 2.1 mega pixels I think & 3x optical zoom.
Reply 6
I bought a 35 mm SLR camera the other week. Long live film!

J.
rahaydenuk
Hi,

Thanks,

You can't go wrong with FujiFilm, I personally have an A203 however you can afford a better model:

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=1278&CategoryID=16&SubCategoryID=119

You won't be disapointed!
Reply 8
onearmedscissor
You can't go wrong with FujiFilm

I echo that. I have an A204: versatile and easy to use.
Reply 9
I have a crappy Fujufilm 1300 its a year old model but its amazing the quality of it.

This is an example

http://www.robertsonnet.co.uk/hifism.jpg

The images can go much larger than without loss quality.
Reply 10
I think the optics have the bigger impact on the picture quality than blank megapixels. You should check out Canon cameras, value for money.
Reply 11
onearmedscissor
You can't go wrong with FujiFilm, I personally have an A203 however you can afford a better model:

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=1278&CategoryID=16&SubCategoryID=119

You won't be disapointed!

yup, i have the a203 too - it's a great camera. I think you can get it for just under £100 now (sob - it was about £50 more when i bought it!). It has 2m whatsits, and tbh the resolution is plenty great enough for getting nice pics. The next model up (i think it's the a303 - long live originality...) has 3m thingys and that's probably moving up to the spec you want for your £150.

Hornblower - where did you get your slr from? i'm really interested in getting into photography, but don't have an slr yet. are there ones around for a reasonable price? any tips on where to look?
Reply 12
ben2111
I think the optics have the bigger impact on the picture quality than blank megapixels. You should check out Canon cameras, value for money.

Yeah I agree with that my camera is only 1.3 mega pixels but the CCD is very good quality so images look sharp. The lens of course also have a major impact. There is no point on having an image large enough to print if its all grainy due to a poor CCD.
Reply 13
I know http://www.novatech.co.uk/ do pretty reasonable prices on this sort of thing. We've bought lots of techy stuff from them in the past and had no problems.

Anyway, from having a brief look at your price range and for over 3MP-

The Novatech home brand cameras seem to give you the best MP cheaply, but I don't know enough to say what they're not giving you -what I mean is- for the difference in price range between that and the other brands.

Anyway- I suggest you have a look for youself http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/DigitalCameras/a11b2c0d0e0x1y0z1p0s0n0m0 but I've picked out the following.

Most of their products have customer reviews -and if you see something you're tempted by you can look it up on Kelkoo or similar who'll find you reviews and search out for the best prices/deals etc.

Novatech 3.3 Mega Pixel 16Mb 4x Digital Zoom Digital Camera
-£99.88

Novatech 4.1 Mega Pixel 32Mb 3x Optical & 2x Digital Zoom Digital Camera
-£179.99

Novatech Bundle 128Mb Compact Flash & 4.1 Mega Pixel 32Mb 3x
-£166.85

---

Kodak DX6340 3.1 Mega Pixel 16Mb USB 3.5X Digital Zoom Digital Camera
-£203.28

---

Canon Digital Camera Powershot A300 3.2Mega Pixels 16Mb USB
-£148.05

---

Fujifilm FinePix A303 Zoom - Digital camera - 3.2 Mpix
-£194.59

---

DSC-P32 Digital Still Camera 3.2 Megapixel, Super HAD CCD, Smart Zoom, MPEG ...
-£184.43

---

Think that's about it, but, as I see, probably best for you to have a browse youself.
Reply 14
Thanks everyone for your feedback! :smile:

OK, I'm very seriously considering the FujiFilm Finepix A310. It's available at http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=1277&CategoryID=16&SubCategoryID=#reviews for £176.24 (incl. VAT) which is the best I can find. It comes bundled with a 16 Mb card, would it be wise to spend an extra £30 and get a 64Mb card also? Any idea how many pictures one can store on different sized cards for this particular camera?

Thanks,
rahaydenuk
Thanks everyone for your feedback! :smile:

OK, I'm very seriously considering the FujiFilm Finepix A310. It's available at http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=1277&CategoryID=16&SubCategoryID=#reviews for £176.24 (incl. VAT) which is the best I can find. It comes bundled with a 16 Mb card, would it be wise to spend an extra £30 and get a 64Mb card also? Any idea how many pictures one can store on different sized cards for this particular camera?

Thanks,

A wise choice, buy it now! you!
Reply 16
Egan1
Fujifilm FinePix A303 Zoom - Digital camera - 3.2 Mpix
-£194.59

Thanks, but that site looks a little on the pricey side. In my above post, you'll see that I found the model up (A310) for about £20 less!

EDIT: Now I'm confused, a lot of sites including EBuyer.co.uk have the A303 priced a lot higher than the A310, can someone clarify, which is the higher model?
rahaydenuk
Thanks, but that site looks a little on the pricey side. In my above post, you'll see that I found the model up (A310) for about £20 less!

EDIT: Now I'm confused, a lot of sites including EBuyer.co.uk have the A303 priced a lot higher than the A310, can someone clarify, which is the higher model?

99% sure that the A310 is higher.
Reply 18
on the fuji site you can comapre them directly:

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/compare.php?fmov

tbh i can't really tell any difference...

amazon have the a303 for £160 and the a310 for £180
Reply 19
You can't go wrong with Fuji and Morgan. Go ahead, also I doubt you will get anyway cheaper than Morgan.

Also them price comaprison sites are con as you have to pay to advertise them.

Latest

Trending

Trending