The Student Room Group

British people can't be trusted to govern themselves; leave it to Europe

Scroll to see replies

Why SHOULD we trust our goverment to a few frogs? Screw them... and as for our healthcare in comparison to the rest of Europes, you are chatting absolute bull****.
Original post by misif
Why is it only Europe that is stopping this government from eroding our freedoms; and the British people are even against that?!

There's a difference between the EU and the ECHR - the two are separate bodies. The ECHR, in my eyes, has no right to tell us to change our laws as they are all unelected - however, I do agree with some of their points (such as allowing life registered sex offenders the option to appeal). But, realistically, I fail to see how the ECHR can have any mandate to tell us to change our laws because we elect our politicians to make our laws, and they appoint people to tell us to change our laws.
Reply 42
Original post by misif
Lol at the thicko.

Oh it's thick to believe that rapists and paedophiles should be kept away from society for the safety of others, and as a punishment for their crimes? :rolleyes:

I think it's incredibly naive to believe that excessive human rights are a good thing at all. You lose your human rights once you touch someone elses. Don't like it? Go live in a communist or left-wing society.
Reply 43
Original post by .Ali.
Oh it's thick to believe that rapists and paedophiles should be kept away from society for the safety of others, and as a punishment for their crimes? :rolleyes:

I think it's incredibly naive to believe that excessive human rights are a good thing at all. You lose your human rights once you touch someone elses. Don't like it? Go live in a communist or left-wing society.

Oh do be quiet. I'm a free-market capitalist you silly little girl. Why don't you go and watch Super Sweet Sixteen or something instead of posting inaccurate tripe on the internet.
Reply 44
Original post by BlueJoker
Wf? That's so racist it's funny. How are we more "civilised"? :confused: That idea is completely subjective and the majority of Europe is just as developed as we are.
In fact, if you go to Manchester/London/Liverpool on a saturday night you could say that the rest of Europe is a lot MORE civilised than some of the idiots here. :rolleyes:

You say that, but i'm pretty sure you missed the deep note of sarcasm and went off on one...
Reply 45
Original post by misif
This is a country that is very backward in enhancing the rights of the individual. We work the longest hours in Europe, we face the most intrusion from government in Western Europe, our healthcare is pisspoor compared to the rest of Europe. To top it all off, I found a headline in the Daily Mail (our second most widely read newspaper lest we forget) saying 'END THIS HUMAN RIGHTS MADNESS' because sex offenders are to be given the right to appeal something that happened a long time ago with no guarantee that they will ever come off. Our puppy-dog PM, pandering to a reactionary Middle England, started saying how 'deeply appalled' he was. The more I think about it, the more worried I get when Nigel Farage talks and gets a round of applause, because British people really cannot be trusted to govern themselves.

How does the european working hours directive not erode our human rights? It forces us to work less.

How can we be ruled by an unelected bunch of cretins?

And why is it we have the 6th biggest GDP in the world? (3rd in europe) and the second biggest PPP in europe..?

And actually, although we don't spend as much per person on healthcare than other european countries, our government actually spends more, and we don't add as much of our 'own' funding. And we don't do amazingly, but do pretty well in most measures of healthcare. Doesn't help that we're all incredibly fat though.
Reply 46
Original post by misif
Oh do be quiet. I'm a free-market capitalist you silly little girl. Why don't you go and watch Super Sweet Sixteen or something instead of posting inaccurate tripe on the internet.

Wow, insinuating I'm ill-informed due to my age. That's a rather low retort, does someone have nothing else to say? I'd never watch such rubbish. It's called a difference of opinion, if you're not happy to have an enlightening debate about it, then don't post it in a public political forum.

It's hardly inaccurate, your first post led me to believe your way of thinking was akin to left-wing ideals, however, you have stated that it is not. I wish to ask you this then; why do you feel that human rights have not gone far enough? I'm actually quite interested to hear this.
Original post by hslt
You say that, but i'm pretty sure you missed the deep note of sarcasm and went off on one...

Sarcasm doesn't work if you have to tell someone it's sarcastic. :rolleyes:
Reply 48
Original post by BlueJoker
Sarcasm doesn't work if you have to tell someone it's sarcastic. :rolleyes:

well i managed to notice it! so they got it to work for someone.
Reply 49
Original post by .Ali.
Wow, insinuating I'm ill-informed due to my age. That's a rather low retort, does someone have nothing else to say? I'd never watch such rubbish. It's called a difference of opinion, if you're not happy to have an enlightening debate about it, then don't post it in a public political forum.

It's hardly inaccurate, your first post led me to believe your way of thinking was akin to left-wing ideals, however, you have stated that it is not. I wish to ask you this then; why do you feel that human rights have not gone far enough? I'm actually quite interested to hear this.

Although his put down was a bit ****... yours was also quite crap... and there is a point to be made about excessively removing peoples' rights just because they've commited a crime.

If we decide on a punishment for a given crime, then after that punishment should they be punished more? And if our punishment appears to have worked, is there a point in punishing them further?

And do we really accept that our judiciary system is 100%? if not, you can't really go handing out punishments for life, and you have to listen to appeals, until the evidence is overwhelming and (not or in my belief) the crime too great for the risk.

And what do you mean by 'touching someone else's human rights'? I agree that damage to someone's human rights requires punishment, but what is forced bigger drain on society as our prison system stands at the moment.
imprisonment if not a regalement of their rights? And whats the point in keeping them there if society can get some use out of them? Otherwise they're an even
Sorry if this is really off-topic, don't know how much/what exactly you've said so far!

And his post wasn't really 'akin' to left wing ideals. Many right wing people think that the mail isn't exactly a good read. And wanting to be governed by europe isn't really that left wing - it's just that europe is seen as quite left wing. (or this is as I understand it... could be wrong?). Not that I agree with much he said in his first post either!
Reply 50
Original post by hslt
Although his put down was a bit ****... yours was also quite crap... and there is a point to be made about excessively removing peoples' rights just because they've commited a crime.

If we decide on a punishment for a given crime, then after that punishment should they be punished more? And if our punishment appears to have worked, is there a point in punishing them further?
I personally believe current punishments aren't harsh enough, therefore I think that people should face harsher conditions when found guilty of a crime. The amount of reoffenders kind of proves that punishments aren't severe enough.

And do we really accept that our judiciary system is 100%? if not, you can't really go handing out punishments for life, and you have to listen to appeals, until the evidence is overwhelming and (not or in my belief) the crime too great for the risk.
I agree that appeals are needed, but for a convicted sex criminal that has already served some time, I think it's a ridiculous idea. Of course, personal experiences could have made me oversensitive to the issue, but in my honest opinion, sexual offences are absolutely awful and disgusting and they really harm the victim mentally...I don't think that people who cause these vile crimes should be treated leniantly.
And what do you mean by 'touching someone else's human rights'? I agree that damage to someone's human rights requires punishment, but what is forced bigger drain on society as our prison system stands at the moment.
I mean that once you abuse someone elses human rights, you lose yours.

imprisonment if not a regalement of their rights? And whats the point in keeping them there if society can get some use out of them? Otherwise they're an even
Sorry if this is really off-topic, don't know how much/what exactly you've said so far!
Well in some cases, I propose the death penalty (only when the evidance is unquestionable and for the most serious of crimes). It keeps prisons clearer, stops the chances of repeat offences and stops them being a drain in society.

And his post wasn't really 'akin' to left wing ideals. Many right wing people think that the mail isn't exactly a good read. And wanting to be governed by europe isn't really that left wing - it's just that europe is seen as quite left wing. (or this is as I understand it... could be wrong?). Not that I agree with much he said in his first post either!
I should have said akin to left-wing party ideas, as those are the ones that generally like Europe more than the others.
Reply 51
Original post by hslt
How does the european working hours directive not erode our human rights? It forces us to work less.

How can we be ruled by an unelected bunch of cretins?

And why is it we have the 6th biggest GDP in the world? (3rd in europe) and the second biggest PPP in europe..?

And actually, although we don't spend as much per person on healthcare than other european countries, our government actually spends more, and we don't add as much of our 'own' funding. And we don't do amazingly, but do pretty well in most measures of healthcare. Doesn't help that we're all incredibly fat though.

China has a larger PPP than us; it doesn't make it a better place to live.
Reply 52
Original post by .Ali.
I personally believe current punishments aren't harsh enough, therefore I think that people should face harsher conditions when found guilty of a crime. The amount of reoffenders kind of proves that punishments aren't severe enough.

Fair enough. Although theres also a counter argument that punishments are done in the wrong way. I believe that theres a lower rate of reoffending when criminals are 'rehabilitated' rather than chucked away for a couple of years. Though this obviously doesn't count for 'serious' crimes, there just doesn't seem to me to be much point in locking someone up for petty theft, when this just makes them a large drain on society when previously they were more a nuisance to society (not to say, of course, that they couldn't have caused a lot of psycological problems too). If I'm right about it reducing re-offending rates, then it would seem logical that you get use out of them/rehabilitate them with things like community service. I could be wrong about my facts though!

Original post by .Ali.

I agree that appeals are needed, but for a convicted sex criminal that has already served some time, I think it's a ridiculous idea. Of course, personal experiences could have made me oversensitive to the issue, but in my honest opinion, sexual offences are absolutely awful and disgusting and they really harm the victim mentally...I don't think that people who cause these vile crimes should be treated leniantly.

Neither do I. but convicted doesn't mean 100% guilty. So if they've already served some time, then evidence comes to light, it seems wrong not to re-trial them.
Don't forget that there are a surprisingly large number of false-rape allegations (and ignoring what affect this has on the accused) it wouldn't be that odd if a couple went through. [I'll find stats if you want them to back up my statement]

I don't think criminals should be treated leniantly, but I think they should be treated in the way that is most advantageous to society.

Original post by .Ali.

Well in some cases, I propose the death penalty (only when the evidance is unquestionable and for the most serious of crimes). It keeps prisons clearer, stops the chances of repeat offences and stops them being a drain in society.

Fair enough. Don't know where I stand on this. I'm just happy I don't have to make the decision on it!
Reply 53
Original post by misif
China has a larger PPP than us; it doesn't make it a better place to live.

How about per capita? its a reasonable estimate of wealth, no? a bit warped for minute countries and tax havens, but there you go.
Reply 54
Original post by misif
Then the rest of Western Europe must be absolutely stellar in comparison. You can kid yourself that 'we get on just fine', but our continental neighbours pity us and I've even seen responses from Americans on this forum laughing at our lack of freedom.

Do they? I've never had that impression. The Germans in particular seem to have quite liking and respect for the British. Norwegians also. I imagine most are indifferent.

Much of the British "hate/criticism" seems to come from our own media. How much of it is self-deprecation and how much is pessimism I don't know. Both good, British qualities.

Ah yes, Americans laughing at our lack of freedom. At least we don't prohibit a significant amount of the population from entering civil parternships and enjoying the same approximate rights as heterosexual, married couples.

Yes, I am aware that there are some US states who recognise civil partnerships.

I imagine most of those Americans are either trolling or ignorant. Or both.

I'm not under any delusion. Perhaps we don't have the same international standing that we did during the height of the empire. The world changes. But I've rarely encountered anything but respect or, at worst, indifference from those abroad.

Original post by Luceria
"Lack of freedom" .. That reminds me of a hilarious Glenn Beck quote (talking about the band Muse and their performance of "Uprising")

"Now you have to remember that these are Europeans and they have been degraded for a very long time, really since the beginning of time. They have had very few glimpses of real freedom."

:rofl: That is quite amazing.

Edmund Burke and John Stuart Mill. Who the hell are they then....

Original post by .Ali.

Yeah because theft never takes place in Saudi Arabia and you don't get murders in the US states who have the death penality. Oh...wait...you do.

The most conservative societies (more accurately those with capital punishment) often have the highest crime and reoffending rates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending