The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9180
The thesis 'if you are a good scientist, then it is implied that you have these skills' and 'it is impossible to be a good scientist without problem-solving skills and critical thinking' are actually very similar.
Please learn a bit of logic.

Furthermore, this is being a waste of our time. Reaching stalemate because of obtuseness is always something i wish to avoid.

Best of luck with your academic future.
Reply 9181
Original post by alphil
The thesis 'if you are a good scientist, then it is implied that you have these skills' and 'it is impossible to be a good scientist without problem-solving skills and critical thinking' are actually very similar.
Please learn a bit of logic.

Furthermore, this is being a waste of our time. Reaching stalemate because of obtuseness is always something i wish to avoid.

Best of luck with your academic future.

Actually,

let P be the statement 'you are a good scientist'
let Q be the statement 'you have problem-solving skills and critical thinking'.

Then assertion one is P => Q, and assertion two is ¬Q => ¬P.

The two are equivalent.

but don't worry, you'll learn this in first year logic.
Original post by DJMayes
You should check how these compare against your schools averages as well; as the UMS relative to your schools average performance is arguably as important as the objective UMS score itself.

Hmm, how is this possible to find out, for an applicant or a school?
Also, to what extent would this impact? If, for example:

Candidate A goes to a school with a 60% average and achieves 90%.
Candidate B goes to a school with a 80% average and achieves 95%.

Would these generally be considered equal, ceteris paribus?
What is our place in the cosmic perspective of life?
(edited 11 years ago)
Heyya!

Say I applied to PhysNatSci for 2013 (im in year 12). I did AS Maths in Year 11 (89,88,80 in C1 C2 and M1 respectively) and i did S1, D1, D2 this year. C3 and C4 are to come.

I am really worried that i'm going to get a B in D2, and low As in S1 and D1. Will this matter so much if i try my best to get 90s in C3 and C4 this summer? My Physics and Chemistryare fine (100% and 93% so far UMS wise). I'm soooo worried!
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Edit:
Why the neg? Am i not allowed to be concerned...?
(edited 11 years ago)
so my exams are finally over (im in AS) and i want at least get an offer for maths at Cambridge (yeah i know, 'don't we all'...). i recently looked at the TSR Cambridge stalking page and all of the maths people had like 90%+ in their average AS grades.

i think hopefully i may get AAAA in maths, fm, physics and law but i really don't think ill average more than 90% in the three best. is that a disadvantage?

also, im sure they don't just look at grades. do they want or prefer any type of work experience to do maths?

some people fail to get an interview, is this because of their personal statement? i hear people talk about their work experience in the statements, but i don't have any :s-smilie: what do you have to emphasise in it?
Reply 9186
I would quite like to know how important UMS scores are to cambridge, and what average would be considered bad/average/good/very good.
Original post by Bulbasaur

I'm not privy to exactly how Cambridge quantify their contextual data - I would assume that it's done based upon your percentile rank with regards to the kind of background and schooling you have experienced. For example, I think this might be a better example:

Candidate A is on free school meals and attends a comprehensive low down on school league tables. He comes from a background where few people attend higher universities. He has achieved a UMS average of 90%, which places him in the top 2% of students from similar backgrounds.

Candidate B comes from a family of doctors and has attended a prestigious private school all his life, one renowned for sending people to Oxbridge every year. He has achieved a UMS average of 95%, which places him in the top 10% of people from similar backgrounds.

Objectively speaking, Candidate B has better grades than Candidate A. However, Candidate A has significantly outperformed B relative to similar Candidates, resulting in Candidate A getting an offer.

Obviously, all the figures I just quoted are bogus. However, the important point is that Cambridge uses contextual data to find people who have performed exceptionally under the circumstances they were given in. To simply assume that being poor gives you a better shot at Cambridge is wrong. Cambridge are looking for the top group of candidates from all the groups who apply. However, the grades indicative of exceptional ability can vary dependent on the background the candidate is from - you might expect the top proportion of privately educated pupils to achieve higher than the top proportion of pupils from care homes, for example, due to their circumstances. However, if two candidates in different groups are ranked equally with regards to their respective backgrounds then they will be treated equally by Cambridge, even if there is a relatively significant difference in their actual scores.

tl;dr - Cambridge is not so much interested in candidates with specific UMS thresholds but for those who are significantly outperforming other candidates with similar backgrounds and circumstances.
You don't need work experience for maths. Some reading on first year course type material would be pretty good, and the best thing of all is probably to look at STEP papers and take your maths ability up a step.

Not going to lie, not getting above 90%ish in Maths and Further Maths at least might be an issue, most applicants for Cambridge maths found A levels pretty trivial.
Original post by DJMayes
tl;dr - Cambridge is not so much interested in candidates with specific UMS thresholds but for those who are significantly outperforming other candidates with similar backgrounds and circumstances.

I usually take a neutral position regarding admissions (because frankly, only the DoS of the college for your subject knows what he's looking for so for anyone else to guess or even generalise across the colleges is just futile). However if you want some insight, read this, probably one of the best articles on the Guardian about Cambridge.
Original post by ukdragon37
I usually take a neutral position regarding admissions (because frankly, only the DoS of the college for your subject knows what he's looking for so for anyone else to guess or even generalise across the colleges is just futile). However if you want some insight, read this, probably one of the best articles on the Guardian about Cambridge.

I have read this article and found it very interesting; it's one of the few articles I have read which have managed to inspire a sense of optimism with regards to Oxbridge admissions. However, I would take it with a pinch of salt - it's only focused on one college in Cambridge, and the process probably varies quite a bit between them.
Original post by DJMayes
I have read this article and found it very interesting; it's one of the few articles I have read which have managed to inspire a sense of optimism with regards to Oxbridge admissions. However, I would take it with a pinch of salt - it's only focused on one college in Cambridge, and the process probably varies quite a bit between them.

No, Churchill's process is fairly typical (Although the number of admissions tutors for this particular selection is likely to be higher than average - 12 tutors at the meeting - but that's because Churchill is a science-heavy college and this is NatSci)

There is one thing that the colleges all do the same and that's how they choose. They may have different tests and place different emphasis in different places, but the admissions tutor's methods and the sort of traits they are looking for are broadly identical.

Original post by DJMayes

Actually as you have described, Candidate B would get an offer, and Candidate A may get an offer.

While things are taken in perspective and relative, it is not all relative. There is a level of absoluteness that Cambridge are looking for, a standard.

(There's also a particular way of thinking that they're looking for, and this is really the main factor, UMS just give them a clue as to whether a candidate possesses this. For some subjects a certain level of prior knowledge is also needed, eg maths knowledge for sciences courses)

Being the very best of your peers is not enough if that very best is not up to the necessary standard, and being bellow average is fine if that average is of exceptional standard.

You can see that by considering the case of the student with 95% from the school who's average is about 95%. Schools like this exist, normally titled "elite" (if private) or "selective" (if state) by the media, and they send the highest proportions of their students to Oxbridge. (The obvious public school culprits, but also a number of top grammar and London sixth-forms/comprehensives are in this category. They all however share academically selective admissions, essentially accepting Oxbridge and Russell-group standard candidates mostly)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes
I'm not privy to exactly how Cambridge quantify their contextual data - I would assume that it's done based upon your percentile rank with regards to the kind of background and schooling you have experienced. For example, I think this might be a better example:

Candidate A is on free school meals and attends a comprehensive low down on school league tables. He comes from a background where few people attend higher universities. He has achieved a UMS average of 90%, which places him in the top 2% of students from similar backgrounds.

Candidate B comes from a family of doctors and has attended a prestigious private school all his life, one renowned for sending people to Oxbridge every year. He has achieved a UMS average of 95%, which places him in the top 10% of people from similar backgrounds.

Objectively speaking, Candidate B has better grades than Candidate A. However, Candidate A has significantly outperformed B relative to similar Candidates, resulting in Candidate A getting an offer.

Obviously, all the figures I just quoted are bogus. However, the important point is that Cambridge uses contextual data to find people who have performed exceptionally under the circumstances they were given in. To simply assume that being poor gives you a better shot at Cambridge is wrong. Cambridge are looking for the top group of candidates from all the groups who apply. However, the grades indicative of exceptional ability can vary dependent on the background the candidate is from - you might expect the top proportion of privately educated pupils to achieve higher than the top proportion of pupils from care homes, for example, due to their circumstances. However, if two candidates in different groups are ranked equally with regards to their respective backgrounds then they will be treated equally by Cambridge, even if there is a relatively significant difference in their actual scores.

i was told my an admissions persn at Newnham that Cambridge only contextualise GCSEs and not A levels
I think there's something to be said for doing well under very poor circumstances (low socio-economic, family didn't go to uni, school performs badly, health issues, etc.)

However, if you're achieving 95%+ but that is below average, I don't think it matters because clearly that average is of a ridiculous standard.

So, in general, I don't think you can generalise. Each case must be looked at individually.
Original post by tooambitious
i was told my an admissions persn at Newnham that Cambridge only contextualise GCSEs and not A levels

Then that would most likely be true; I don't claim to know the ins and outs of any university admissions process. Broadly speaking, I was more trying to make the point that the contextual data Cambridge is said to use is more likely attempting to evaluate an individuals progress when compared to others in similar situations, rather than simply looking at someone with a poor post code and saying "Right, he needs 3 less UMS average than this kid from a private school". I could probably have made myself a lot clearer though. :smile:
Original post by tooambitious

Well that sounds incredibly pointless to me, seeing as the role of GCSEs is nothing more than marginal...

In any case it probably depends on how important UMS is to each department and the opinions of individual admissions tutors, I guess..
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Llewellyn
I think there's something to be said for doing well under very poor circumstances (low socio-economic, family didn't go to uni, school performs badly, health issues, etc.)

However, if you're achieving 95%+ but that is below average, I don't think it matters because clearly that average is of a ridiculous standard.

So, in general, I don't think you can generalise. Each case must be looked at individually.

It is an interesting point - I don't really know enough to form an opinion on how Cambridge weights different candidates' background, but the admissions tutor said to us "we have a formula intended to put GCSE / UMS performances on a level playing field depending on a school's background.

This caused a lot of stir amongst a lot of the other visitors (Myself and a friend were the only state school kids there). I'm not sure what I think about it really, I have never considered myself to be disadvantaged and do not believe people of high social classes are my "betters" so I think it would be hypocritical of me to hope for special treatment.
Well that sounds incredibly pointless to me, seeing as the role of GCSEs is nothing more than marginal...

In any case it probably depends on how important UMS is to each department and the opinions of individual admissions tutors, I guess..

i think its the idea that A levels are the supposed to be the subjects you;re really interested in and good at so if a teacher isnt very good youo should be able to do more independently whereas GCSEs people ay be forced t take subjects (e.g. a language) that they're not very good at which is only made worse by a crapy teacher
Original post by Alex Bampton
It is an interesting point - I don't really know enough to form an opinion on how Cambridge weights different candidates' background, but the admissions tutor said to us "we have a formula intended to put GCSE / UMS performances on a level playing field depending on a school's background.

This caused a lot of stir amongst a lot of the other visitors (Myself and a friend were the only state school kids there). I'm not sure what I think about it really, I have never considered myself to be disadvantaged and do not believe people of high social classes are my "betters" so I think it would be hypocritical of me to hope for special treatment.

If Cambridge do that by school exam performance then that is fine imo. In fact it is only fair.

It doesn't necessarily mean Private vs. State. There are excellent state schools with good results and rubbish private schools with bad results. Generally, perhaps private schools do better but again this is another case of "no generalisations".

Latest

Trending

Trending