The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1940
charlotte_xx
I wouldn't want to do any more maths courses than i have to!! i know biologists have to take one maths course, but i wouldn't take any further ones.

Biology: 540/600
Chemistry: 536/600
Geography: 575/600

Im hoping those ^^ are high enough too :/ all the modules are A's, its just the maths that ruined it! :frown:

Hi I really want to study MEDICINE at CAMBRIDGE but epically failed my GCSE exams:

Maths: A*
Chemistry: A*
Biology: A*
Physics: A*
English Language: A
English Literature: A
ICT: A
Business Studies: A
French: A
History: A
Drama: B

1) Is it true Cambridge assess GCSE by allocating 1 point for an A* and 0.6 points for an A
2) As the quantitive average of A* is 8/9 should I even bother applying
3) I'm so worried please offer an honest conclusive answer!

:eek3:
Reply 1941
Tempeststurm
I don't think you'll be at a disadvantage because of subject choices. Your GCSE results are good, although AS results are more important. If you get ~90% in your AS modules, you have a very good chance, but we can't give you a definite answer until you get your AS results next year.

If you got 4 As overall, that should be good enough. There might be a couple of more mathematical courses within the Tripos you couldn't do, but you get a lot of choice. They might ask about the grades at interview, but it shouldn't affect Bio NatSci too much as you still got an A overall. What were your unit marks in Biology and Chemistry?

Maths isn't really relevant to History of Art, so for their purposes they would probably just ignore it. Again, AAA in relevant subjects should be fine with a good interview.

And to all of you, what have you got to lose? You get five places on UCAS, so you can take a risk with one of them. The worst that can happen is that you don't get a place, which is the same result as if you didn't apply.

Read my above post and PLEASE help me!

:confused:
Reply 1942
Your grades are absolutely fine. They will hardly even glance over them, as long as they see a good collection of As and A*s. It's what you get at AS level that matters.
Reply 1943
Xei
Your grades are absolutely fine. They will hardly even glance over them, as long as they see a good collection of As and A*s. It's what you get at AS level that matters.

Thankyou so much that puts me at ease!!!

But just for added comfort do you have any proof because so much crap goes aroung TSR like "you need 5A* minimum for some colleges in Cambridge"

:smile:
Xei

This is not true, it is all taken into account and 4 A*s is quite low at GCSE for medicine. You will have to perform exceptionally in BMAT and have great UMS scores to make up for it.
charlotte_xx
I wouldn't want to do any more maths courses than i have to!! i know biologists have to take one maths course, but i wouldn't take any further ones.

Biology: 540/600
Chemistry: 536/600
Geography: 575/600

Im hoping those ^^ are high enough too :/ all the modules are A's, its just the maths that ruined it! :frown:

They're very good unit scores, so you've got a good chance if your interview goes well. Just make sure you don't forget too much before December.

Xei

I would agree, everything I heard from admissions tutors said that your AS grades are far more important than your GCSE grades. You got A*s in everything relevant to medicine, and your other GCSEs are fine. You will still need to get high unit marks at AS, a good BMAT score and a good interview, but so will everyone else, and you won't be placed at a disadvantage.
Tempeststurm
They're very good unit scores, so you've got a good chance if your interview goes well. Just make sure you don't forget too much before December.

Okay! Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 1947
Hi everyone, I'm looking to study Geography at Cambridge in 2010 but I'm not too sure where I stand...

GCSE's:
A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAAAAAB (7A*'s, 7A's + 1B)

AS's:
Geography - 199/200 UMS A
Geology - 277/300 UMS - A
Biology - 263/300 UMS - A
Chemistry - 231/300 UMS B

How are these, what are the chances of interview etc?

Any comments greatly appreciated! :smile:
boggybop
Hi everyone, I'm looking to study Geography at Cambridge in 2010 but I'm not too sure where I stand...

GCSE's:
A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAAAAAB (7A*'s, 7A's + 1B)

AS's:
Geography - 199/200 UMS A
Geology - 277/300 UMS - A
Biology - 263/300 UMS - A
Chemistry - 231/300 UMS B

How are these, what are the chances of interview etc?

Any comments greatly appreciated! :smile:

Are you joking?
Reply 1949
I would agree, everything I heard from admissions tutors said that your AS grades are far more important than your GCSE grades. You got A*s in everything relevant to medicine, and your other GCSEs are fine. You will still need to get high unit marks at AS, a good BMAT score and a good interview, but so will everyone else, and you won't be placed at a disadvantage.

Thankyou very much for your help and yes I will certainly be buckling down come thursday!
Reply 1950
ben_stretch
This is not true, it is all taken into account and 4 A*s is quite low at GCSE for medicine. You will have to perform exceptionally in BMAT and have great UMS scores to make up for it.

Thankyou but I must say the "exceptional" in regards to BMAT seems a tad harsh as other TSR have offered opinions saying my GCSE grades are not disadvantageous at all. Seems like there are far too many opinions on this website; the real question is who to believe?

Reply 1951
ben_stretch
Are you joking?

No! Should I go for it?
boggybop
Hi everyone, I'm looking to study Geography at Cambridge ... Geography - 199/200 UMS A

Yes, you'll get an interview and have a very good chance of an offer. Also, 15 GCSEs!?
Reply 1953
Tempeststurm
Yes, you'll get an interview and have a very good chance of an offer. Also, 15 GCSEs!?

Thanks for the reassurance :smile:

Yeah 15 GCSE's, I guess it was down to doing 3 separate sciences, and getting GCSE's in Maths, Additional (Pilot Maths), and Statistics, and a couple in IT.
Im thinking about applying to Cambridge after having just recieved my As results, getting 100% in unit 1 of both biology and physics and above 90 % in every other module bar 6. (8/15 are above 90%) 4 of these are in the high 80%s, however the ISA modules i did for the 3 sciences are all Cs.

Overall for each subject I got roughly 90% but I just heard that you need an A in every module. Despite getting very high marks, will i be rejected due to the ISAs? Will I at least get an interview? Thanks for any feedback and Ill give full post all my module marks if it helps.
Tomato_Soup1992
Im thinking about applying to Cambridge after having just recieved my As results, getting 100% in unit 1 of both biology and physics and above 90 % in every other module bar 6. (8/15 are above 90%) 4 of these are in the high 80%s, however the ISA modules i did for the 3 sciences are all Cs.

Congratulations on your AS results. :yes:

Tomato_Soup1992
Overall for each subject I got roughly 90% but I just heard that you need an A in every module.

You heard wrong.

Tomato_Soup1992
Despite getting very high marks, will i be rejected due to the ISAs?

What are "ISAs"? Coursework? And why did you get such low marks (comparatively)?

Tomato_Soup1992
Will I at least get an interview?

Provided that your predicted grades are up to scratch and your subjects are appropriate for what you want to apply for (which is?) you should get an interview, yes. :smile:
Reply 1956
praneesh
Thankyou but I must say the "exceptional" in regards to BMAT seems a tad harsh as other TSR have offered opinions saying my GCSE grades are not disadvantageous at all. Seems like there are far too many opinions on this website; the real question is who to believe?

why don't you email the admissions tutor for a college you're interested in? :rolleyes:
alex_hk90
Congratulations on your AS results. :yes:

You heard wrong.

What are "ISAs"? Coursework? And why did you get such low marks (comparatively)?

Provided that your predicted grades are up to scratch and your subjects are appropriate for what you want to apply for (which is?) you should get an interview, yes. :smile:

ISAs are investigative skills assessment - coursework. Im terrible at them, not because of the practicals, but because of the fact that the questions in the test require common sense, of which i have none. I think too deep and completely miss the obvious answer. Also, im taking maths, further maths, Biology, chemistry and physics, hoping to do Natural sciences.
Reply 1958
91 rob
why don't you email the admissions tutor for a college you're interested in? :rolleyes:

no reply as of yet.

:frown:
Reply 1959
Hey guys

Ever since I was 12 I have wanted to study law at university but more specificaly at Cambridge. This summer i received the grades for my Scottish highers; I got band 1 A's in Eng, Chem, Phys, Maths and Modern studies. I was awarded the School prize for Modern Studies. In my final year of school i am a depute head of my year group and responsible for our school newspaper. I have had work experience in law firms and I am about to go to the Foreign Office for work experience there.

At the moment my cousin is in 3rd year of Law at Cambridge in the same College i would like to apply to: Pembroke.So do you think the "inside information" she could give me would help me any?

Do you think i have a reasonable chance or is it not even worth the bother?
Any help or tips would be really appreciated
Thanks for reading this guys

sorry for the boring list of ext. curr. its just the easiest way to let you guys know:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending