The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
tomward87
I have applied to Hatfield on the basis of its position and website, not realising (skimy research its true) that its quite prestigious and competetive. What do the good people at Hatfield look for in applicants?

Most of the stereotypes about Hatfield come about because it is the second oldest college, and the way 'Hatfield Spirit' can come across from the outside. Almost everyone in the college loves it, and loves the atmosphere. Everyone is friendly and will go out of there way to help you. Even those people who seem unnaproachable at first find their niche and settle in. Dont let the 'propoganda' ,for want of a better word, put you off.

It is of course what you make of it. I play an active role in college life and associate much more closely with people in college than on my course, however other people are the opposite.

Any other questions fire away or pm me.

Hatfield first year.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Sebby
Most of the stereotypes about Hatfield come about because it is the second oldest college, and the way 'Hatfield Spirit' can come across from the outside. Almost everyone in the college loves it, and loves the atmosphere. Everyone is friendly and will go out of there way to help you. Even those people who seem unnaproachable at first find their niche and settle in. Dont let the 'propoganda' ,for want of a better word, put you off.

It is of course what you make of it. I play an active role in college life and associate much more closely with people in college than on my course, however other people are the opposite.

Any other questions fire away or pm me.

Hatfield first year.

Better word=propaganda :p:
Reply 62
durhamdosser
Better word=propaganda :p:

so very true
The cliquishness (for want of a better word) of college life is what makes Durham (and those other, lesser collegiate universities in the home counties) what it is. The close sense of community gives people a strong feeling of belonging to a community, rather than the rather apathetic association that students at other unis appear to have with their SU. The strength of the communities in some of the older colleges may come across to outsiders as insularity and snobbery, and hence the reputations of Castle and Hatfield being what they are. As a state-educated Castleman, I can tell you that (at least within the college) there is no snobbery towards people of non-rah backgrounds, and in fact there is almost an inverse snobbery that people look down on rahs as interesting relics from an era when inbreeding and inherited wealth had more sway in getting you a place at university than academic potential.
Mattmoy_2000
The cliquishness (for want of a better word) of college life is what makes Durham (and those other, lesser collegiate universities in the home counties) what it is. The close sense of community gives people a strong feeling of belonging to a community, rather than the rather apathetic association that students at other unis appear to have with their SU. The strength of the communities in some of the older colleges may come across to outsiders as insularity and snobbery, and hence the reputations of Castle and Hatfield being what they are. As a state-educated Castleman, I can tell you that (at least within the college) there is no snobbery towards people of non-rah backgrounds, and in fact there is almost an inverse snobbery that people look down on rahs as interesting relics from an era when inbreeding and inherited wealth had more sway in getting you a place at university than academic potential.

Give that man a medal! That's exactly what I've been wanting to say in every single Hatfield thread for ages, but could never put it clearly.

Obviously I'm not a castleman though:wink:
Reply 65
Whoops, this seems to have died out a bit. :tumble:
I got an offer from Hatfield a while ago, and am seriously thinking of going there.
Hatfield definitely seems a popular college. I'm not so sure about the room sharing yet but it'll all work out I guess. Good to hear that the rumours about rahs are just rumours.
Is it a very sporty college?
Reply 66
What're you applying for? Fitz is quite a groovy college,doesn't it have an attached museum?
Hatfield is a reasonably sporty college but limited somewhat by its size.
Hatfield is probably as sporty as most of the colleges to be honest. Although it's not as sporty as Hild and Bede, which traditionally has been the 'sport' college.
Catzz
Whoops, this seems to have died out a bit. :tumble:
I got an offer from Hatfield a while ago, and am seriously thinking of going there.
Hatfield definitely seems a popular college. I'm not so sure about the room sharing yet but it'll all work out I guess. Good to hear that the rumours about rahs are just rumours.
Is it a very sporty college?

Come to Hatfield! Seriously, room sharing is not a problem, it's an advantage. There are rahs, as there are at any college. Equally, there's sportiness - we've got some good teams, though I don't think they're as high in the rankings as they were a few years ago. Still one of the strongest at rowing, but I don't really associate with sporty types, to be honest :p: We've got as much variety as anywhere else, a great college spirit and a very central location. Plus it's the college ball tonight so we're all very excitable today. An excitable college can only be good.
Reply 69
as there are at any college

A vicious lie, there's only one person here at college who wears a shirt as part of normal daily attire :wink:
arkbar
A vicious lie, there's only one person here at college who wears a shirt as part of normal daily attire :wink:

Pah, filthy hill scum. Next you'll be telling me they don't even put their collar up... :p:
Reply 71
Have you even been to a hill college bar yet? :p: We're all hard-drinking working class types up here...
I think Kathryn has actually been to Mildert.....

But I wasn't there so cannot actually confirm it:p:

I had a single room in my first year, and to be honest even though I wished at first that I wanted to share, I think it was good for me that I had a single.
arkbar
Have you even been to a hill college bar yet? :p: We're all hard-drinking working class types up here...

I have been to Mildert twice, it's true. So there :p: Really should go to some of the others though... Next meet-up?
hi everyone, can anyone tell me if there is any parking in hatfield or nearby?
Also is there a golf course in durham and where is it?
nicholsonrowell
hi everyone, can anyone tell me if there is any parking in hatfield or nearby?
Also is there a golf course in durham and where is it?

Very little parking in college, which is reserved for college officers. Nothing nearby either. No first years are allowed cars anyway, unless you really need it (ie there's a fresher this year who's in a wheelchair who has a car. That'd be just about the only way you'd be allowed, really.)

There's a golf course out by Mildert, I think.
Hi, i spoke to her briefly when i visited, is there no safe parking in durham elsewhere?

the only reason i ask is cos i guessed that any golf course would be on the outskirts and getting clubs there sounds difficult to say the least with all the hills.
Reply 77
You might be able to get a long term permit for the Prince Bishops car park or something.
Heavs
You might be able to get a long term permit for the Prince Bishops car park or something.

It'd cost a hell of a lot... To Mildert is about 15-20 minutes' walk, though obviously that'd take longer if you had clubs! There is a new bus running up the Hill though. Also, I'm fairly sure there's a Hatfield Golf Club, so they might sort something out. Seriously, as a fresher, there's absolutely no point in having a car.
Reply 79
Does anyone know where the tennis courts are? :biggrin: Are they inside or outside or both?

Latest