The Student Room Group

Intercalating at Nottingham

I know that there's a BMedSci integrated with the course, but I was wondering if it was possible to later on do a masters at another university between the 4th and 5th year? Or even another Bachelors?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by resipsa
I know that there's a BMedSci integrated with the course, but I was wondering if it was possible to later on do a masters at another university between the 4th and 5th year? Or even another Bachelors?

Thanks in advance

I have done a lot of research into this.

The course is suited to those that do not want to intercalate but instead get through to foundation training as fast as possible. This is why the integrated intercalated degree is "better than nothing" as one doesn't want to spent an extra year studying.

There is no official programme built in to allow people to intercalate. Students cannot intercalate a BSc because all the credits that you'd usually use in other medical schools to do so (i.e. in year 1-3) are used towards the BMedSci and cannot be used twice. The only remaining option is to intercalate a MSc. This has happened in the past, but is very rare and very difficult to do because the university term at Nottingham is unusual and not standard, so its difficult to find a masters with a term that would "fit" in the year taken out. It is less an 'intercalated masters' than 'a year out of the medical degree to study for an external masters'.

I wouldn't recommend Nottingham if you are really wanting to do extra academic study within your degree.

I'll answer any questions you have if I've not covered everything. :smile:

e: This was written on my phone so came out a lot blunter than I was originally intending! :p: Oops, sorry about that...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
I have done a lot of research into this.

The course is suited to those that do not want to intercalate but instead get through to foundation training as fast as possible. This is why the integrated intercalated degree is "better than nothing" as one doesn't want to spent an extra year studying.

There is no official programme built in to allow people to intercalate. Students cannot intercalate a BSc because all the credits that you'd usually use in other medical schools to do so (i.e. in year 1-3) are used towards the BMedSci and cannot be used twice. The only remaining option is to intercalate a MSc. This has happened in the past, but is very rare and very difficult to do because the university term at Nottingham is unusual and not standard, so its difficult to find a masters with a term that would "fit" in the year taken out. It is less an 'intercalated masters' than 'a year out of the medical degree to study for an external masters'.

That's not really fair - it's perfectly feasable to do additional Bsc's, Msc's and Phd's at Nottingham. The GMC's own report says that - I remember sending you the link a couple of days ago. As far as I am aware you can take a year out and get an Msc (which is better than a Bsc anyway) inbetween third and fourth year I would assume. or alternatively you could do further qualifications inbetween year five and FY1, whilst being a junior doctor, take a break as a junior and so on.

edit: I do agree if you are convinced you want to spend years doing a phd at med school, it is probably better to go to Newcastle etc - but I don't think it should be a massively defining reason, I am sure there is more flexibility than you are making out at Notts!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Organ
That's not really fair - it's perfectly feasable to do additional Bsc's, Msc's and Phd's at Nottingham. The GMC's own report says that - I remember sending you the link a couple of days ago. As far as I am aware you can take a year out and get an Msc (which is better than a Bsc anyway) inbetween third and fourth year I would assume. or alternatively you could do further qualifications inbetween year five and FY1, whilst being a junior doctor, take a break as a junior and so on.

Why is it not fair? I've spoken to Fission_Mailed a lot about it and he said he never really wanted to intercalate but just wants to get on and do the job, but with Nottingham you get an extra degree (along with the research experience etc.) as a 'bonus' without having to take a year out to do it. What's wrong with that? :confused: Not everybody is going to want to spend 6, 7, 8, 9+... years at university. Nottingham offers the ability to those that don't an integrated intercalated degree - it's a positive, not a negative?

Fission_Mailed
x

You can take out a year - but as I said, the Nottingham course's term start/end times are unusual so they don't often fit with those of masters degrees:

Nottingham Med School office
A few students have taken a year out after the 3rd year (including Clinical Practice 1) to undertake a Masters course of their choice, and this is up to the student to investigate and put forward to the course manager at the time who would then decide if it was possible and appropriate. The course is constantly changing and does not always fall into the timetable for other courses to be suitable. CP2 starts in early July for instance which is sooner than most Masters courses finish.

As for doing further qualifications after graduation - yes, perfectly fine, but not really what the OP is asking about!

e:

Original post by Organ
I am sure there is more flexibility than you are making out at Notts!

All I know from Notts is from their admissions office!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Beska
x

yeah that's all valid, I have a chem cwk to finish tonight so i can't really respond.

All I am saying is that the GMCs report claims what I said above ^^

there will be less informed candidiates as yourself attending notts who wish to do phds and so on, I am sure it is possibel etc
Reply 5
Original post by Organ
yeah that's all valid, I have a chem cwk to finish tonight so i can't really respond.

All I am saying is that the GMCs report claims what I said above ^^

there will be less informed candidiates as yourself attending notts who wish to do phds and so on, I am sure it is possibel etc

Yeh no probs!

Yeh I had a read when you linked it a couple of days ago and I intended to link it to the med school and ask but I never got around to it. :p: But when they replied to my first email they did say that it was possible, but that it was unusual and not standard practice or whatever, and the fact that the course overlaps with most masters programmes etc. concerned me wrt intercalating a masters.
Yeah, one thing they don't mention in the prospectus is that the BMedSci totally gimps your holidays (though you may get a nice 2 week break in February if you have an early viva.)

I don't really care about the lack of opportunities to intercalate further, as Beska says, I want to do my time and get into the job.
Reply 7
Great, thanks for the replies all! I'll ere on the side of caution and email the admissions people just in case..
Reply 8
Original post by resipsa
x

Original post by Beska
x

Just for anybody reading this thread in the future, I emailed a university about an Msc programme (it happened to be Oxford!) - this was the response.

We only accept graduates onto the programme but if you are awarded a BMedSci at the end of year 3 this would be an acceptable qualification. We do not accept intercalating medical students who do NOT hold a bachelors degree. Most of our medically qualified students have undertaken the MSc in Neuroscience at the end of their training and before beginning work as a junior doctor, so after year 5. The academic year runs from September to September but we have had many students who have needed to start jobs before September. In these cases, the students submit their dissertations in early August and then come back to Oxford for the compulsory viva exam in September.

I hope I’ve answered your questions, but, if not, please e-mail me again

so if you are determined it is possible to do a masters (and potentially a phd I guess) qualification between y3 -4 (more expensive but greater flexibility) or after y5.

I think if you know you would be really keen to do an intercalated phd say - Beska is right, other places are more geared up to it! But it can be done if you really want to !
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Organ
But it can be done if you really want to !

Thanks a lot! I firmed Nott anyway, but the fact that it can be done is reassuring :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Organ
Just for anybody reading this thread in the future, I emailed a university about an Msc programme (it happened to be Oxford!) - this was the response.

so if you are determined it is possible to do a masters (and potentially a phd I guess) qualification between y3 -4 (more expensive but greater flexibility) or after y5.

I think if you know you would be really keen to do an intercalated phd say - Beska is right, other places are more geared up to it! But it can be done if you really want to !

Why didn't this pop up in my WQM widget?? I wasn't ignoring you!

Very interesting, thanks!

Is the BMedSci awarded after year 3 then? I always thought it was awarded upon graduation for some reason, but admittedly I'm not really sure either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending