The Student Room Group

Is AS Maths all that hard?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marek35
However once you get in the FP's you require a much more deeper understanding.

Perhaps FP2&3, I haven't done those yet. I found FP1 easier than C4, the only test of understanding in it was whether you understand why proof by induction works, which everyone did.
Original post by Planar
I have an A in GCSE Maths and an interest in reading PPE. Maths would probably be useful for that. I'm in my AS year and wondering if it would be possible to cover AS Maths over Easter - a lot of effort obviously, but is the actual content really difficult?

get a revision book for all the modules you need, preferably a condensed one. If you are reasonably capable at maths and can understand concepts easily you should be able to get through it in a week fairly easily.
i got an A* at GCSE and a C last year because i was in a class with people who already understood all the concepts (they did C1 in the same year of their GCSEs and were also doing further maths) so the teacher didn't bother explaining it to me. consequently, me not understanding= me failing. technique can only get you so far, if you don't actually understand the question, technique isn't that helpful. You could maybe do it if you had a tutor or someone at hand to explain the things you don't understand? but a squeezing it all into one week might be too much. why do you desperately need only one week to do it in? maybe you could do it in two? using the first week to learn the basics and the second to practise? because you definitely definitely need practise.

plus I actually found C2 easier than C1 but things like binomial expansion might be very confusing if you're trying to work it out on your own.
Reply 43
Original post by p+i+n+k
no, it's pretty easy but you want to know if you can study C1 C2 and X1 in a week?

can you tell me how many hrs of revision do you do a day
Original post by fudgesundae
get a revision book for all the modules you need, preferably a condensed one. If you are reasonably capable at maths and can understand concepts easily you should be able to get through it in a week fairly easily.

Ridiculous.
Reply 45
Original post by j.alexanderh
Perhaps FP2&3, I haven't done those yet. I found FP1 easier than C4, the only test of understanding in it was whether you understand why proof by induction works, which everyone did.

Yea FP1 is very much a harder version of C2 lol. Im on AQA and FP2 and FP3 are the real challenges. FP4 is just about vectors and matrices.
Original post by marek35
Yea FP1 is very much a harder version of C2 lol. Im on AQA and FP2 and FP3 are the real challenges. FP4 is just about vectors and matrices.

I'm supposed to be doing Edexcel, but I'm looking forward to doing groups in the OCR course. Nice and abstract.
Original post by marek35
Learning it is the easy part. Doing it in the exam is the hard part. Hence the content might be easy to learn however the exam is a completely different ball game.

how do you mean ?
Reply 48
Original post by thegodofgod

You can if you have good intuition skills.

Oh wait - just read you got an A at GCSE - my bet is that you'll get a B at AS Maths

Good luck anyway though :smile:

EDIT: Why negged?

I don't think so. I got an A (have no idea how I didn't get an A*) and I got 90's for C1 and M1 and a low A in C2. So an A in AS maths is possible. I taught myself every module in like a week and C1 and C2 are simple.
I find that I always get a higher mark in the harder maths exams. I make too many simple mistakes so when they make the test harder I get a higher mark.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jam277
I don't think so. I got an A (have no idea how I didn't get an A*) and I got 90's for C1 and M1 and a low A in C2. So an A in AS maths is possible. I taught myself every module in like a week and C1 and C2 are simple.
I find that I always get a higher mark in the harder maths exams. I make too many simple mistakes so when they make the test harder I get a higher mark.

K - I see what you mean, the same is true for me - I always hope that it's a hard exam so the UMS grade boundaries are because I always screw up on at least one silly question like adding some numbers together :mad:
Reply 50

K - I see what you mean, the same is true for me - I always hope that it's a hard exam so the UMS grade boundaries are because I always screw up on at least one silly question like adding some numbers together :mad:

That's what makes maths so annoying :angry:. I think maths is possible to understand by just doing past papers, I did this for M1, C3 and S1 and I got 91 in M1. It's not even hard, it's just stupid mistakes and the occasional 2/3 marker you don't understand which doesn't usually happen that makes you lose marks. In general, someone who is smart at maths is likely to lose 10% at most for each exam unless they had a shocker.
I do solomon press papers before the exam so I'm always ready for hard exams.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jam277
That's what makes maths so annoying :angry:. I think maths is possible to understand by just doing past papers, I did this for M1, C3 and S1 and I got 91 in M1. It's not even hard, it's just stupid mistakes and the occasional 2/3 marker you don't understand which doesn't usually happen that makes you lose marks. In general, someone who is smart at maths is likely to lose 10% at most for each exam unless they had a shocker.
I do solomon press papers before the exam so I'm always ready for hard exams.

Yh, solomon are amazing for practice - I'll be doing them soon to prepare for C1, C2 and S1
Ridiculous.

not really tbh, if you think about it, it is in the school holidays. So if he spends 2-3 hours a day doing maths. C1 you can rush through in 2 hours. C2 maybe will take 5-6 hours to be confident with it.

AS really is not very difficult, A2 is a step up but C1 and C2 are childs play.
not really tbh, if you think about it, it is in the school holidays. So if he spends 2-3 hours a day doing maths. C1 you can rush through in 2 hours. C2 maybe will take 5-6 hours to be confident with it.

AS really is not very difficult, A2 is a step up but C1 and C2 are childs play.

You are deluded. How can anyone learn the contents of C1 to a reasonable standard in 2 hours? And C2 in 5 hours? You are claiming that it is possible to learn the entire AS maths course in one day. I found the content incredibly easy, but it is not possible to learn that volume of material in so short a time. Stop being foolish. I would be impressed with someone with no exceptional maths skills learning C1 in a couple of weeks, which I consider to be possible but difficult for most people.
Reply 54
Has there been a change in the level of the statisitics 1 exams for edexcel.
Heard stuff about the questions being harder recently, has anyone experiences this first hand? either in January or last June.

P.s. For c1, c2 and s1, is it the exact same revision method for each. i.e. just doing past papers, or do you have to alter anything in your revision for each module ?
You are deluded. How can anyone learn the contents of C1 to a reasonable standard in 2 hours? And C2 in 5 hours? You are claiming that it is possible to learn the entire AS maths course in one day. I found the content incredibly easy, but it is not possible to learn that volume of material in so short a time. Stop being foolish. I would be impressed with someone with no exceptional maths skills learning C1 in a couple of weeks, which I consider to be possible but difficult for most people.

at my school we did C2 in 3 weeks and that was just 2 hours a week, so that makes 6 hours for C2. and for C1 80% of the syllabus was covered at GCSE by my school so we did it in one lesson.
at my school we did C2 in 3 weeks and that was just 2 hours a week, so that makes 6 hours for C2. and for C1 80% of the syllabus was covered at GCSE by my school so we did it in one lesson.

Exactly. OP only has GCSE maths, which does not cover a lot of C1. Stop being silly. Also, I assume you must have revised for C2 as well as the teaching time.
Reply 57
Original post by sucess
can you tell me how many hrs of revision do you do a day

what do you mean?
I self-study my subjects.
So for Math I study the lesson, then do the exercises.
I also write down notes so, when I forget about a lesson I just need to re-read what a wrote and I instantly remember it.
I also do past papers not to forget what I already took :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Exactly. OP only has GCSE maths, which does not cover a lot of C1. Stop being silly. Also, I assume you must have revised for C2 as well as the teaching time.

not really i cba to argue, lets just agree to disagree. I stand by my opinion that if you are a good mathematician you can learn AS maths in a week (out of school time of course).
not really i cba to argue, lets just agree to disagree. I stand by my opinion that if you are a good mathematician you can learn AS maths in a week (out of school time of course).

No you didn't. You didn't say 'good', you said 'reasonably capable', and you further claimed that C1 could be learned in two hours, not just a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending