The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

American Post-graduate students at UCL 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by em.england
Hey! I'll be doing a MSc in Global Migration next year- I'm from Illinois, went to undergrad in Chicago. I just got my housing last week by email- Ian Baker House. I'm thinking about going around Sep 20th, and attending the orientation. The visa process has been a struggle, I finally got my fingerprints taken today, and I'll be mailing everything off to the NY consulate general tomorrow, though I'm really worried about mailing them my passport 5 weeks before term starts!!!!

I was worried about mailing my passport as well- but the whole process only took 8 days for me. They shipped everything back to me within one business day!

Be sure to send your original documents AND copies of everything in the package- that makes processing and returning your things easier for them! :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
Hey all! I'll be at UCL for the MSc in the Technology and Analysis of Archaeological Materials. I just got my visa and my accommodation offer. Will anyone else be living in Hawkridge house? I'll be in London around the 20th but I haven't actually bought my plane ticket yet.
Reply 22
Original post by slhilker
Hey all! I'll be at UCL for the MSc in the Technology and Analysis of Archaeological Materials. I just got my visa and my accommodation offer. Will anyone else be living in Hawkridge house? I'll be in London around the 20th but I haven't actually bought my plane ticket yet.

I'm in Hawkridge as well! Super excited to meet everyone :biggrin:
Reply 23
Hey all,
Happy to have found this thread! I'm going for UCL's MA in Shakespeare in History this year.

Still poking around online to find an apartment, it was quite a challenge to find student housing for a couple.

Anyone else in the English department? Anyone planning on living off campus?
Reply 24
@dkaye- I wanted to live off campus, but it seemed rather hard to find a studio in the area for a not ridiculous amount of money.

I'm looking forward to ISO! I hope to meet a lot of you, though I guess I need to get my plane ticket before that can happen! If only the prices would drop....

Who wants to have Thanksgiving dinner??
@dkaye - I'll be pursuing an MA in English, too!

But shall be in the Issues in Modern Culture pathway. Though I did seriously consider going for Shakespeare. I am an unrelenting theater geek.

Where are you coming from? We should meet up during orientation!
Reply 26
I'd love to meet up at orientation! I'm flying in on the 15th. Also, brooklyngardener, is your username somehow non-literal or do you live in Brooklyn? Because I am currently living at my parents' house in CT and would love an excuse to head into the city...

To Em and anyone who's still hunting for decent airfare: I found a fantastic deal on Cheapoair.com. I was nervous about it because I found some pretty mixed (okay, bad) reviews of the site online, but it seems to have gone through fine and when I double-checked my reservation with Virgin Atlantic, they confirmed that my ticket is all set.

And yes, while it is almost impossible to find a studio in the area for a not ridiculous amount of money, I'm making it even more difficult by looking for a one bedroom. I have yet to find anything in central london that's even remotely reasonable, so clearly I will be sleeping in the library on a bed made of the Complete Works of Shakespeare, empty packets of ramen, and tears shed over the death of my dream of financial independence before 30. Who do you go to if you want to sell a kidney?

re: thanksgiving dinner -- I've been living in Korea the last couple of years and cooked Thanksgiving for 26 Americans in Seoul last year. In related news, I will do anything for pie.

Is there anyone else in the NY area? When are you heading out to London?
@dkaye - Would love meet up for coffee (and perhaps pie)! I'll message you separately. Any other folks in the NY area are welcome to join, too!

For people still flat-hunting, I found really affordable couples housing through the International Students House. Our studio flat is probably tiny, but it's right across from Regent's Park and about a 20 minute stroll to UCL. http://www.ish.org.uk/

And I'm down for Thanksgiving dinner! I make a mean sweet potato hash...

Looking forward to meeting you all. Perhaps we can choose a pub to gather at that first week in October?
Reply 28
Hi everyone! I'm from San Diego, CA and I'll be doing the MSc Medical Anthropology program this fall at UCL :smile:

I did my undergrad study abroad in London a few years ago, so I'll be living with some friends in outer London. Is anyone else going to the orientation programme?

-Carolina

I just got my accommodation for Hawkridge today (finally). I'll be there for the MA in Archeology. I'm gonna try to move in early. Look forward to seeing you all.
Reply 30
Hi everyone! I'm from California and I'm doing the MSc Medical Image Computing... I'm going to the orientation programme too, @ctalaver

Looking forward to meeting you all! :smile:
Reply 31
Anyone else looking for housing, let me know -- I'd be down for a flatshare in reasonable proximity to bloomsbury. Bonuses to living with me include access to outstanding vegetable lasagna and an impressive collection of Ella Fitzgerald...
Reply 32
I know there are quite of few of us here who will be on courses at the Institute of Archaeology. Please join the facebook group if I haven't found you there already : )

http://www.facebook.com/groups/190955094311140/?id=190956137644369
Reply 33
I know there are quite of few of us here who will be on courses at the Institute of Archaeology. Please join the facebook group if I haven't found you there already : )

http://www.facebook.com/groups/190955094311140/?id=190956137644369

Just asked to join on facebook :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending