The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phia7
Is anyone of you politically active as well? You know, "changing the world" etc... :smile:

Nope, I don't really have a problem with most things, but I'm satisfied rather than happy with all the political stuff. Don't support any of the English parties either, but I am opposed to the greens, who conveniently don't have a candidate in my constituency.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dnumberwang
Hmmm. I think you can get books off Amazon for about £1, used

Not always. My books for Latin and Greek A level cost £230 altogether :ahhhhh:
Original post by medbh4805

sorry for the random post but bloody hell! That's expensive isn't it?! Were they printed on gold leaf or something? Jeez louise.

ffs of course you can't buy used books for Latin and Greek, nobody even does those A Levels!

(i am joking btw)
Original post by banterbury_tales
sorry for the random post but bloody hell! That's expensive isn't it?! Were they printed on gold leaf or something? Jeez louise.

dnumberwang
ffs of course you can't buy used books for Latin and Greek, nobody even does those A Levels!

(i am joking btw)

The breakdown was

Greek - HW Smyth "Greek Grammar" - a monster of a book, J. Taylor's Greek Beyond GCSE, Oxford Classical Greek dictionary, Anderson and Taylor's Greek Unseen Translation - set texts - Lysias, Homer, Sophocles, Xenophon, Euripides, Thucydides.... (Sophocles + Xenophon are set for unseen translation, but it's hard to find resources for that, so I just bought a copy of Anabasis and Antigone to practise :dontknow: )

Latin - Oxford Latin dictionary, Latin beyond GCSE, Latin Unseens for A level, Advanced Latin, Via Plana, then of course set texts - Cicero, Ovid, Catullus and Tacitus

expensive stuff :sadnod: some of the set texts alone cost like £20 :sad:

EDIT: It was totally worth it :smug:
(edited 12 years ago)
Random Conversation Topic:
When did people decide that they wanted to come to Oxford?
Personally, it was quite a while ago, although the course which I've wanted to study has changed through the years (from Classics, to MFL, to something sciency, to History, to PPE)
Original post by dragonmeister
Personally, it was quite a while ago, although the course which I've wanted to study has changed through the years (from Classics, to MFL, to something sciency, to History, to PPE)

Of course, Oxbridge is always the dream - but I realized I definitely wanted to apply... actually I cannot remember when. It was probably thanks to TSR somehow, checking the Oxford website and realizing they had a joint degree for psychology & philosophy.

Yeah I was looking through the UCL prospectus this morning (as in, the entire thing - I was bored w/o internet), and I was like... What if I did law instead? Or even physics? WHAT IF. But then I realized I was just being silly and told myself I could always do a degree in law after psychology. :rolleyes:

Also, my political compass:

Economic Left/Right: -3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.54
(edited 12 years ago)

Well, I guess it hadn't really ocurred to me that I could go somewhere like that until my English teacher told me and my parents at I think it was the year 10 parents evening that I should really be thinking about the top universities like Oxford etc. Of course I no longer want to do English (English Lit. AS made sure of that) but I'm hoping they'll still want me for MFL :biggrin:

Idk, I suppose in general it's been encouragement from my parents/teachers plus the fact that I really love what I want to study and I want to study them with like-minded chaps :3

Also the visit I made to Oxford in March kinda cemented the idea in my head that it's *awesome* and lovely and the atmosphere makes me feel oh-so good~

I suppose it was when I was 15, it was after I had won some prizes in prizegiving, and a teacher started talking to me about the future, and she said "I hope you're considering Oxbridge." It was the first time I saw it as a real option :dontknow:
Original post by Phia7
Is anyone of you politically active as well? You know, "changing the world" etc... :smile:

Nope! But there was a Canadian girl a month or so back who did something really gutsy... she stood up in the House of Commons with this sign. (Harper is our Conservative (terrible) prime minister if you don't know) She was a page, a position very difficult to get into (2 spots), and well obviously she lost her job after this.

:yes:
Well, I guess it hadn't really ocurred to me that I could go somewhere like that until my English teacher told me and my parents at I think it was the year 10 parents evening that I should really be thinking about the top universities like Oxford etc. Of course I no longer want to do English (English Lit. AS made sure of that) but I'm hoping they'll still want me for MFL :biggrin:

Idk, I suppose in general it's been encouragement from my parents/teachers plus the fact that I really love what I want to study and I want to study them with like-minded chaps :3

Also the visit I made to Oxford in March kinda cemented the idea in my head that it's *awesome* and lovely and the atmosphere makes me feel oh-so good~

Classics Open day? :holmes:
4 pages to beat Cambridge! :horse:

I think it was 2 years ago, it started like an innocent joke, but after I did a bit of research and I realized that it was possible and it was within my reach it stopped being funny and soon enough I was kinda committed :biggrin: Now my 'loyalty' kinda freaks me out a little, I mean, I looked at Cambridge's website one day and it kinda felt like I was cheating :eek:
My personal statement is beginning to come together and look vaguely decent! Unfortunately, it's now edging ever closer to the word/line limit...
Original post by irina793
I looked at Cambridge's website one day and it kinda felt like I was cheating :eek:

Haha, I know what you mean! Somehow I've turned rather loyal just as an applicant! I exchange PMs with a Cambridge applicant I met on TSR and each time I feel... hmm...

Original post by fluteflute
My personal statement is beginning to come together and look vaguely decent! Unfortunately, it's now edging ever closer to the word/line limit...

Argh! Mine is already 5000 characters. :frown: Not even started the conclusion or mentioned another book I wanted.

I'm bored... I think I've read every single webpage worth reading on St John's website. :bored:
Classics Open day? :holmes:

It wasn't I'm afraid, my step-sister who's currently in her 4th year doing PPE took some time to show me around her college (Queen's) and some other places. It was a lovely day, fantastic weather and everything :wink:
Original post by punctuation
Argh! Mine is already 5000 characters. :frown: Not even started the conclusion or mentioned another book I wanted.
I think I'm getting quite good at the art of rewriting sentences to reduce the number of characters. You're a long way over though :s-smilie: I guess it's just about cutting out the bits that at the end of the day aren't so important :tongue:
I'm bored... I think I've read every single webpage worth reading on St John's website. :bored:
Changing the topic slightly... how did you decide on St John's?
It wasn't I'm afraid, my step-sister who's currently in her 4th year doing PPE took some time to show me around her college (Queen's) and some other places. It was a lovely day, fantastic weather and everything :wink:

That sounds lovely! How lucky. Is PPE a 4-year subject? I thought it was only 3 years like most courses.

I can't remember what subject you are applying for... Enlighten me again? :colondollar:

ETA: Oh my god. Three day (free!) psychology conference... starting tomorrow. 6-hour drive. *sooo tempted*

Original post by fluteflute
I think I'm getting quite good at the art of rewriting sentences to reduce the number of characters. You're a long way over though :s-smilie: I guess it's just about cutting out the bits that at the end of the day aren't so important :tongue:
Changing the topic slightly... how did you decide on St John's?

Yep. So far it's unedited. Just adding stuff when I think of it, so hopefully when I finish it up I'll be able to cut back.

Well, it's pretty, well-funded (inexpensive and good accommodation/food), it has my subject, it's academic but not overly so... and the deciding factor was how interesting/nice the tutors for psychology seemed.
(edited 12 years ago)

Yep. So far it's unedited. Just adding stuff when I think of it, so hopefully when I finish it up I'll be able to cut back.

Well, it's pretty, well-funded (inexpensive and good accommodation/food), it has my subject, it's academic but not overly so... and the deciding factor was how interesting/nice the tutors for psychology seemed.

Yeah I'm just randomly adding some bullet points in the middle, some of which are things I haven't done yet but plan to do soon!

Argh the choice is too hard... (even as a computer scientist with only twelve to choose between)
That sounds lovely! How lucky. Is PPE a 4-year subject? I thought it was only 3 years like most courses.

I can't remember what subject you are applying for... Enlighten me again? :colondollar:

Ahh sorry, I put 4th for some reason, I meant 3rd...whoops D:

Aaaand I'm applying for French and Spanish, wahey! :3

Latest

Trending

Trending