The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3020
Original post by such_a_lady

Random conversation topic/ Personal Statement practice:

What is the one thing that sets you apart from everyone else applying for your course?

For me, it's probably my passionate love for late 18th century literature and the excitement that the different literature movements solely contained in Germany causes me :tongue: Although maybe my, er, shiny new title might help too :awesome:

So go on, sell yourselves :biggrin:

God, I hate doing this!

Hmm, I'm gonna put 'well'-known (within certain circles!) Gaidhlig-writer, bard and translator as my one extracurricular. Its so damned parochial tho - I got an English Foyle's Young Poet once too so I dunno... EXCEPT IT HAS NOWT WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH ANYTHING!!!

Regarding the rest of the PS - the important **** - I really have nothing, especially now I've decided I'm gonna be a Psycholinguist/Cognitive Scientist. =[
Original post by candide
God, I hate doing this!

Hmm, I'm gonna put 'well'-known (within certain circles!) Gaidhlig-writer, bard and translator as my one extracurricular. Its so damned parochial tho - I got an English Foyle's Young Poet once too so I dunno... EXCEPT IT HAS NOWT WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH ANYTHING!!!

Regarding the rest of the PS - the important **** - I really have nothing, especially now I've decided I'm gonna be a Psycholinguist/Cognitive Scientist. =[

To be fair, though, out of everyone here, it is your intellect which makes me feel the most inferior, with your making up of languages and so on.
Does anybody know what the requirements are for GCSE? Because my current predicted grades are 4 Bs 5As and 1 A* which i'm unsure of
Reply 3023
To be fair, though, out of everyone here, it is your intellect which makes me feel the most inferior, with your making up of languages and so on.

It's not that hard! And I have a lot of time on my hands, being as I live on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere with little else to do bar read books and do nerdy things...
Original post by LoveLoveLove16
Does anybody know what the requirements are for GCSE? Because my current predicted grades are 4 Bs 5As and 1 A* which i'm unsure of

Aren't really requirements as such; they tend to look at how you did compared to your school average :smile:
Aren't really requirements as such; they tend to look at how you did compared to your school average :smile:

Ohh thank you! That makes me feel a bit better :smile:, it's been my dream to go to oxford for like 10 years (I'm 16) but I doubt myself and don't think i'm smart enough no matter how hard I work :/
username: Pigeon93
academics: Scored 45 on IB; HL Math, History, French; about to start my gap year
course: History and Economics
college: Pembroke!! (although I keep changing my mind about colleges...)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pigeon93
username: Pigeon93
academics: Scored 45 points on IB; HL Math, History, French; SL Economics, Chemistry, English; about to start my gap year
course: History and Economics
college: Balliol (I think)

45 points, impressive!!! Good thing you're not applying for E&M at Merton :biggrin:
Original post by nightmare91
45 points, impressive!!! Good thing you're not applying for E&M at Merton :biggrin:

Haha thanks and good luck! E&M is arguably the most competitive course :eek:
Original post by Pigeon93
Haha thanks and good luck! E&M is arguably the most competitive course :eek:

Thank you! Good luck for you, too! And yea statistically it is. But when I look at the applicants on this thread, PPE seems to be the most competitive. Last week I have barely met any E&M applicants in Oxford, but loads of PPE applicants. So I'm hoping that this year will be different :biggrin:
Reply 3030
Thank you! Good luck for you, too! And yea statistically it is. But when I look at the applicants on this thread, PPE seems to be the most competitive. Last week I have barely met any E&M applicants in Oxford, but loads of PPE applicants. So I'm hoping that this year will be different :biggrin:

may your words be blessed :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Wow what a plan :biggrin: sounds great :smile: btw, are you going all by yourself?

No, I'm going with my mother :tongue:
Original post by punctuation

In completely unrelated Oxford news, this looks kinda cool: New link joins Bodleian and Radcliffe Camera
Reply 3033
Hmm as you know I'm really an Economics freak and besides my kind of sick passion for it, 4 weeks of work experience as a consultant last summer at IBM Germany plus this summer's short internship at Deutsche Bank Investment Banking hopefully will give me an edge over other applicants. :redface:

It's a shame that work experience is a marginal factor. They consider that many people don't have the opportunities you've had. As a result, academics and further reading are more important.
Original post by pahoeho
Which 7 did you do? I found geography easier than the others and the physics course seemed incredibly short so it wasn't too bad :P

French, Irish, Latin, Greek, History, Maths and Physics. I also did CoPE.

I won't lie, it was a lot of work and a lot of stress :s-smilie:
Original post by medbh4805

That is a lot of languages! :biggrin: Exciting times! I for sure admire you :redface: :biggrin:
Dis anyone here go to the St Edmund hall residential?
Reply 3037
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
LOL! I loved queens too :3 I'm gonna apply so sorry XD

its was amazing! the jcr was so much better than the others (it wasnt) :wink:

what you applying for?
Reply 3038
Original post by medbh4805

Well personally I hate doing languages (didn't do any at AS) so I can imagine that would be even more stressful for me :P
I've caught up!!!!!!!!

I got back from the open days (Ox on the 7th, Cam on the 8th, too long a journey to make on the 8th so stayed the night at my uncle and aunt's house in York and got back on the 9th) and found I was about forty pages behind! And I don't like being unthorough, so I've been reading through it all. The rest of the post is going to be unconnected ramblings based on the last forty pages.

Merton is amazing!! :love: Even more amazing than I thought it was. I spent the Cambridge open day doodling lovehearts round Merton. Someone said a few pages back that Merton's really hardworking - it's LIES. The current students said that it was just a stereotype, and the maths people said they normally worked 4-5 hours a day, including lectures. At Cambridge nobody came up with a convincing reason why it was better for maths than Oxford, and it wasn't nearly so pretty, so there's no way I'm applying there.

I also think that candide (sorry, forgotten how to spell your real name) is made to be a linguist. Making up languages? :eek:

I don't think I'll join the facebook group. I don't really mind people knowing that I'm applying, but the way gossip spreads by the time I got back to school everyone would know, and if I got rejected before interview (quite likely for maths) I'd look really stupid. Maybe I will if I get an interview.

Chiara, if you speak German you can understand Yiddish. It's German with an accent and some really cool extra words thrown in. It would take about two weeks to be able to speak it. I love Yiddish (as a non-speaker). It's the language that gives us all the best words of English, like "chutzpah", "kvetch", and "nosh".

So excited about application now! Three months til the deadline! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending