The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brand New Eyes
*18th century courtier voice* Why sir, you do flatter one so.

Lol How'd you figure that one out? And E&M is more competitive per place as it goes

Well, I just have met soo many PPE candidates already and most of them I consider as REALLY high quality applicants. Not just their grades, but in general also. Of course E&M also has many high quality applicants (why should I downgrade myself :biggrin: ) but I think E&M just has many applicants that wouldn't make it anyway. The quality is lower but the quantity is higher in proportion hence the low acceptance rate.

Original post by Eldedu
hehehe I think I just got called a strong candidate :colondollar:

I'd like to thank my parents and of course the academy.

Haha yea you are part of that group :wink:
Reply 4241
Original post by Pigeon93
Good plan! Thanks, I'm Swedish but I went to a school where they teach in English and French. Haha yeah, i really want to go to northeastern USA for a bit but it's so difficult with visas and all, i should probably forget about working there altogether... Otherwise i'm considering Hong Kong. Where in the UK are you from? I used to live in Surrey in the late 90's. Haha well for most of my friends and myself the prospect of leaving home is sort of exciting! Yes, and try to refrain from checking your email every few hours for ucas track updates :tongue:

Cool! So how many languages do you speak? Oh yeah.. Well my cousin did this thing called trek america (have you heard of it?) and it lasted 3 weeks and she went to so many places in the USA! Cost about £1000 or more maybe... But if you need info I could give you some... You'd only need a holiday visa or whatever and she said the whole process was reaally simple! Hong Kong sounds amazing!! Oh I'm the same... I can't wait to leave home and I doubt I'll come back and settle down here! I live in Ireland (well Northern Ireland :smile:)
Original post by nightmare91
Almost everyone in this thread is applying for PPE :biggrin: Well, I am not but you should take a look at our holy spreadsheet, the section withh PPE applicants is HUGE!!!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahtu7FJUHwgsdHJsRE1aa0hQdl9rOWY3MHVqTmUteHc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMTUkYUO#gid=2

yer i saw lol...abit daunting really, do you think it would be alright to message people individually?
what the hell happened to the spreadsheet
Original post by hockeyjoe
yer i saw lol...abit daunting really, do you think it would be alright to message people individually?

Why not :smile:

Ahh someone destroyed it!! Probably was a Cambridge applicant :mad:

Original post by nightmare91
Why not :smile:

Ahh someone destroyed it!! Probably was a Cambridge applicant :mad:

I have an older copy. The last dozen or so people to add themselves aren't on it, though. And of course all of yesterday's pretty colours are gone. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahtu7FJUHwgsdFIwa2RFYnBqWmxWTUg1WThJY0pseUE#gid=0

Please everyone check to see if you're still there!

EDIT: Anyone who added themselves after June 17 will not be on this. Please re-add yourselves. I'll make a private backup after you have in case of more vandalism.

EDIT AGAIN: It's OK! I discovered you can restore it to how it was at a previous edit. We're all good. Back to the normal link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahtu7FJUHwgsdHJsRE1aa0hQdl9rOWY3MHVqTmUteHc&hl=en_US#gid=2
(edited 12 years ago)
The sad thing about it is that they must have deleted the backups on the little tabs at the bottom too, so it must have been deliberate. Not sure why anyone would do that, really.
someone deleted me from the spreadsheet :s-smilie:

whoever is vandalising it seriously needs to grow up
Original post by medbh4805
someone deleted me from the spreadsheet :s-smilie:

whoever is vandalising it seriously needs to grow up

Agreed. I've discovered how to restore previous incarnations of it, so as long as we notice it should be ok from now on.

And if we find who did it... :diep:
If it becomes clear who wiped it, please let me know :smile: Unfortunately it's quite likely to happen because it's open and people like destroying things when there are no consequences.
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Agreed. I've discovered how to restore previous incarnations of it, so as long as we notice it should be ok from now on.

And if we find who did it... :diep:

PENGUIN ATTACK! we can peck them to death.... hmmm cambridge

and yay! how'd you manage that?
Click 'file', then 'revision history'. I restored it to how it was yesterday (though there had already been minor vandalism before that). It was cleared at 11.15AM UK time, though for some reason the spreadsheet insists on showing it as 3.15 AM Pacific Time. If you look, you can see that at 11.13 someone's come along and messed it up, for example making Sven's subject 'regerqgqerg'. They then exited, but returned two minutes later to clear the whole thing. Unfortunately they weren't signed in to a google account at the time, or we could work out who it was. I checked the Cam 2012 thread to see if people were talking about it, but they weren't, and to be honest I think they're probably more mature than that. Probably some bored kid who found the thread, thought "Haah, Oxford, they must be stuck up ******s! I know what would be funny..."
I think PPE is the course with the most applicants. By 2009 admissions stats anyway :smile: Are you talking about Blackwells or whatever the one on the high street is called? ah It looks tiny from the outside.

You lucky thing. J'aime Paris. C'est tres belle non? Ach Nein! Das ist nich gut

Yep Blackwell and before I went to Waterstone's... :biggrin: the latter said on the subject of London riots: we'll stay open, if they loot us they might learn something. :tongue:

Blackwell(s?) is huge though. Several floors of wonderful literary goodness! *drool*
Click 'file', then 'revision history'. I restored it to how it was yesterday (though there had already been minor vandalism before that). It was cleared at 11.15AM UK time, though for some reason the spreadsheet insists on showing it as 3.15 AM Pacific Time. If you look, you can see that at 11.13 someone's come along and messed it up, for example making Sven's subject 'regerqgqerg'. They then exited, but returned two minutes later to clear the whole thing. Unfortunately they weren't signed in to a google account at the time, or we could work out who it was. I checked the Cam 2012 thread to see if people were talking about it, but they weren't, and to be honest I think they're probably more mature than that. Probably some bored kid who found the thread, thought "Haah, Oxford, they must be stuck up ******s! I know what would be funny..."

Good detective work :holmes: Would rep you but apparently I have done so too many times.

I don't really see anyone from the Cambridge 2012 thread doing that tbh. In fact, the only people who have perceived any kind of rivalry between the two threads have been you lot with your race for page numbers! I keep a close eye on both these threads and both the offer holder threads, and on all of the Oxbridge forums generally and I've not seen a whisper of it. I would say it's probably just a passer by being a bit of a dick. I will have a scout around the site to see if I can find anyone mentioning having done it, but it seems doubtful. The only thing I can suggest is that one or several of you maintain control over the spreadsheet and lock down access to it (if that's possible) otherwise the same thing could very well happen again.

EDIT: I just had a quick search for 'spreadsheet', 'Oxford' and 'Oxford spreadsheet' and the only relevant things that came up were posted in here. Also, didn't somebody mention the other day that the colours got all messed up and people were deleted? Is there an edit history for then as well?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zoedotdot
I don't really see anyone from the Cambridge 2012 thread doing that tbh. In fact, the only people who have perceived any kind of rivalry between the two threads have been you lot with your race for page numbers! I keep a close eye on both these threads and both the offer holder threads, and on all of the Oxbridge forums generally and I've not seen a whisper of it. I would say it's probably just a passer by being a bit of a dick. I will have a scout around the site to see if I can find anyone mentioning having done it, but it seems doubtful. The only thing I can suggest is that one or several of you maintain control over the spreadsheet and lock down access to it (if that's possible) otherwise the same thing could very well happen again.

Exactly, that's what I thought. But we don't need to lock down access, if it happens again I now know how to restore it quite easily.

About the other day, we weren't sure exactly when that happened and as it gets edited several times a day, it's too hard to see exactly. But I'd imagine it's probably the same person.
(edited 12 years ago)
Exactly, that's what I thought. But we don't need to lock down access, if it happens again I now know how to restore it quite easily.

Okay, it's up to you :smile: It's a shame it happened. As I said before - if you discover who it was, please PM me to let me know and I will sort it out :smile:
There's a CHAT BOX on the spreadsheet! :eek: :biggrin:
There's a CHAT BOX on the spreadsheet! :eek: :biggrin:

no way!!!

P.s. whoever negged. Wtf is wrong with you. Idiots these days
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by punctuation
Yep Blackwell and before I went to Waterstone's... :biggrin: the latter said on the subject of London riots: we'll stay open, if they loot us they might learn something. :tongue:

Blackwell(s?) is huge though. Several floors of wonderful literary goodness! *drool*

the classics floor is :sexface: all those Loebs....

Latest

Trending

Trending