The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itzRussian
That's just madness... obviously exam results are only one indicator of academic performance, hence the interviews, aptitude tests etc. but isn't there any f**king difference between 82% and 97%? I bet some of the mathematicians here could have self-taught A2 maths in a couple of months while they sat GCSEs and got an A*. So why the hell should they look the same on the application as some toffs from Eton who got tutored so they could scrape 80%, get the interview technique and get in... :s-smilie: got no motivation for exams now

Is putting UMS scores in the personal statement unadvised?

I agree entirely. All universities should see your module grades. I'm not sure about that, I would ask your teachers. But obviously if you keep doing as well as you are doing in your modules I would stick them in anyway.
Oxford focus more on your GCSE grades (I guess because they are an indicator of how well-rounded or consistent a candidate is) whereas Cambridge go for UMS marks (although the majority of their successful applicants are still in the 8+ A*s range)
Original post by dragonmeister
Oxford focus more on your GCSE grades (I guess because they are an indicator of how well-rounded or consistent a candidate is) whereas Cambridge go for UMS marks (although the majority of their successful applicants are still in the 8+ A*s range)

In that case I'm not sure which would give me a bigger advantage... I have good GCSEs and UMS scores
Putting in the personal statement may not work, as they've no idea whether what you write is true or not, but you can definitely ask your teacher to include it in their reference. That has the added advantage of meaning you only share the ones you want to share! :smile:
I think I read somewhere that you can attach them if you really want but I have no idea where I saw that, I could be making it up...
Got my first exam tomorrow. :eek3: These ones matter so much! I'm terrified that I'll mess up really badly and not be able to apply here/anywhere that I want to go for that matter.
To the people talking about UMS scores; you know there is a section to put them in in the UCAS form? And they can be added to your reference if they're high enough and you speak to your subject teachers. Sorry if you all already know this, I was lurking on the 2011 entry thread and got distracted :smile:
Reply 487
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Got my first exam tomorrow. :eek3: These ones matter so much! I'm terrified that I'll mess up really badly and not be able to apply here/anywhere that I want to go for that matter.

French?

I'm frantically learning a chunk on cigarettes. (la cigarette donne mauvaise haleine et jaunit les dents, la cigarette rend la peau grise et la fait vieillir prematurement, la cigarette can get to ****...)

Didn't realize that health might come up until my friend told me today.

Good luck anyhow.
I know how you feel! Normally I'm slightly more blase about exams, but I feel I've screwed up my speaking exam (especially German) due to nerves and now I'm panicking that I won't get an A and therefore won't be able to apply anywhere I want to, especially Oxford, which means three years at college...

I'm sure I'll do fine. Spanish oral was almost as bad but the exam today went really well, so hopefully it'll be the same for German...
Original post by candide
French?

I'm frantically learning a chunk on cigarettes. (la cigarette donne mauvaise haleine et jaunit les dents, la cigarette rend la peau grise et la fait vieillir prematurement, la cigarette can get to ****...)

Didn't realize that health might come up until my friend told me today.

Good luck anyhow.

French, yes. Je pense que ça m'est égal que les gens fument, tant qu'ils me dérangent pas avec leur fumée. Isn't it great that we get to write about such interesting topics? I mean, the town and the countryside?! :eek: :boring: My current attitude to the short essays is that they aren't great, but even if I end up making one up on the spot I should get 8/10, which would be fine. I just can't memorise 10 essays, I'm trying for my favourite phrases from all of them. French should be OK, though - the one I'm really worrying about is maths the day after.

Good luck to you too!
Reply 490
French, yes. Je pense que ça m'est égal que les gens fument, tant qu'ils me dérangent pas avec leur fumée. Isn't it great that we get to write about such interesting topics? I mean, the town and the countryside?! :eek: :boring: My current attitude to the short essays is that they aren't great, but even if I end up making one up on the spot I should get 8/10, which would be fine. I just can't memorise 10 essays, I'm trying for my favourite phrases from all of them. French should be OK, though - the one I'm really worrying about is maths the day after.

Good luck to you too!

I try to pepper mine with lines to raise a smile. Laughter is the only thing that can save us from the bone-crushing ennui that is Higher French and the Scottish Qualifications Authority-man that does the listening:

"J'avais envie aller au Moulin Rouge, mais, ma mere m'a pas permis!" =(

Bonne chance at maths too btw. If I remember from earlier this thread you're the AHgenius person.
Original post by candide
I try to pepper mine with lines to raise a smile. Laughter is the only thing that can save us from the bone-crushing ennui that is Higher French and the Scottish Qualifications Authority-man that does the listening:

"J'avais envie aller au Moulin Rouge, mais, ma mere m'a pas permis!" =(

Bonne chance at maths too btw. If I remember from earlier this thread you're the AHgenius person.

Ah, quelle dommage! :tongue:

I used to try to do this. In a future plans essay I said I was going to become prime minister. The teacher didn't get it and corrected it to 'secretary' or something. I then realised that French teachers have no humour.

Apparently they've replaced the listening-man! The Int 2 people said that it was a woman this year, without such a fantabulous accent.

I am the 'AHgenius person', but not feeling all that geniusy. :frown:
Reply 492
Ah, quelle dommage! :tongue:

I used to try to do this. In a future plans essay I said I was going to become prime minister. The teacher didn't get it and corrected it to 'secretary' or something. I then realised that French teachers have no humour.

Apparently they've replaced the listening-man! The Int 2 people said that it was a woman this year, without such a fantabulous accent.

I am the 'AHgenius person', but not feeling all that geniusy. :frown:

Dommage! < for some weird reason, its my favourite French 'exclamation,' even more than Zut! and Beuf!

Hmm, damn feminists at sqa...

Sorry I hope I didn't sound rude, I'm sure you'll do great, a bit of nerves is healthy, keeps you on your toes - overconfident people are the kind of people who forget to convert to radians or add +c after they integrate. (ah my hubris!)
i want to apply for medicine....do you think sport is considered (i play at county level)
Original post by candide
Dommage! < for some weird reason, its my favourite French 'exclamation,' even more than Zut! and Beuf!

Hmm, damn feminists at sqa...

Sorry I hope I didn't sound rude, I'm sure you'll do great, a bit of nerves is healthy, keeps you on your toes - overconfident people are the kind of people who forget to convert to radians or add +c after they integrate. (ah my hubris!)

You didn't sound rude :smile: . My current favourite expression/word is pomme de pin, which means pinecone, which for some reason my friend and I found hilarious.

I had to disown my second maths prelim (to be fair, I did have the date confused in my head, so it was unexpected). Also, we don't get given any formulae at AH :frown:

And now we'd both better try and sleep, considering the (mildly) evil exam tomorrow. Good night!
Original post by sunshinesmile10
i want to apply for medicine....do you think sport is considered (i play at county level)

No it isn't because it won't make you better at medicine.
Original post by FamousFourTops
To the people talking about UMS scores; you know there is a section to put them in in the UCAS form? And they can be added to your reference if they're high enough and you speak to your subject teachers. Sorry if you all already know this, I was lurking on the 2011 entry thread and got distracted :smile:

This. Also, don't overestimate the impact that your high ums scores will have. They won't hurt, obviously, but they're very unlikely to be what gets you the offer
Reply 497
Original post by z0tx
Subject: Music
College: Not sure, probably Merton or Magdalen
A-level equivalent: French Baccalauréat

Story of my life :eek:
Seriously, that's quite scary!
Reply 498
You didn't sound rude :smile: . My current favourite expression/word is pomme de pin, which means pinecone, which for some reason my friend and I found hilarious.

I had to disown my second maths prelim (to be fair, I did have the date confused in my head, so it was unexpected). Also, we don't get given any formulae at AH :frown:

And now we'd both better try and sleep, considering the (mildly) evil exam tomorrow. Good night!

How'd you find French?

I have to confess that listening was trickier than expected...

although I did manage to fit my Moulin Rouge quote into the directed writing (I took the kids there!) so alls well that ends well...
Reply 499
is there any point of someone with these GCSEs;
2 A*
3 A
3 B
2 C

but with an A* and 2As at A Level to apply?

Latest

Trending

Trending