The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anyone_can_fly
I meant to the government. You said, "If not, the government stands to foot a bill of £2-3 billion extra for three years". I was explaining that they actually pay more if there are higher fees (due to the fees not being upfront).

Now stop rolling your eyes at me! It's almost as annoying as this smiley: :rolleyes: . :tongue:

But in the long run the govt. will pay less. Obviously not everyone is going to take out the 9 grand loan with the extortionate interest rates on it. So they're going to get more money in their pocket (from those who do pay upfront).

And the govt doesn't pay more, the education budget is essentially staying the same. It's just students have to pay a higher proportion of the cost.

The 2-3 billion per year was if they delayed the fees rise until the 2013 cycle as they'd have to make up the £5500 a year for the 200,000 odd students getting places! So basically. tough luck for our year :frown: last to do SATs, first for higher fees.

:rolleyes: doesnt even look like rolleyes! TSR is no match for msn on smileys.

Must. resists. urge. :smile:
Original post by Phia7
This is brilliant. Thank you! :woo:
And I think we're all not stalking the offer-holders' thread... :wink:

Oh no, they've realised we're stalking them!! And I can't reply and say we're not because that PROVES I've been reading their thread :facepalm: However, that does mean that they've been stalking our thread to know that we've been stalking theirs, so I guess we're even! If that makes any sense....
Original post by Brand New Eyes
But in the long run the govt. will pay less. Obviously not everyone is going to take out the 9 grand loan with the extortionate interest rates on it. So they're going to get more money in their pocket (from those who do pay upfront).

And the govt doesn't pay more, the education budget is essentially staying the same. It's just students have to pay a higher proportion of the cost.

The 2-3 billion per year was if they delayed the fees rise until the 2013 cycle as they'd have to make up the £5500 a year for the 200,000 odd students getting places! So basically. tough luck for our year :frown: last to do SATs, first for higher fees.

That rhymed.

Original post by such_a_lady
x

Nice! Congrats. :smile: The Goethe Institut is awesome... I think I have a friend who lives in Baden Württemburg too. :biggrin:

Oh no, they've realised we're stalking them!! And I can't reply and say we're not because that PROVES I've been reading their thread :facepalm: However, that does mean that they've been stalking our thread to know that we've been stalking theirs, so I guess we're even! If that makes any sense....

:lol: Nooooooooooo....
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by punctuation
Nice! Congrats. :smile: The Goethe Institut is awesome... I think I have a friend who lives in Baden Württemburg too. :biggrin:

:lol: Nooooooooooo....

:ninja: Let's hide before they come in all their superiority and eat us...
That rhymed.

What can I say? I'm a woman girl of many talents :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
:ninja: Let's hide before they come in all their superiority and eat us...

Shhh, act invisible and pretend you can't hear!
Shhh, act invisible and pretend you can't hear!

Something that is fairly depressing is how a bunch of us will be in next year's offer holder thread and another bunch of us (including me) won't :frown: Why does my second choice have to be just as competitive!?!?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Something that is faily depressing is how a bunch of us will be in next year's offer holder thread and another bunch of us (including me) won't :frown: Why does my second choice have to be just as competitive!?!?!

What's your second choice? :smile:
What's your second choice? :smile:

St Andrew's. Every time I tell someone I'm applying there, they're like "Ohhh you'll never get in, they're so biased towards Scottish students!" Also applying to Edinburgh, Durham and Bath. These are all provisional, though, I'm checking out UCL and KCL in the next two weeks and therefore might change my mind.

What are the other choices of everyone else here? :smile:
St Andrew's. Every time I tell someone I'm applying there, they're like "Ohhh you'll never get in, they're so biased towards Scottish students!" Also applying to Edinburgh, Durham and Bath. These are all provisional, though, I'm checking out UCL and KCL in the next two weeks and therefore might change my mind.

UCL, RHUL, Bristol and... i dunno. :biggrin:
UCL, RHUL, Bristol and... i dunno. :biggrin:

Is it costing you a lot to apply from across the pond? x

UCL, Edinburgh, Goldsmiths and Leeds. (for fine art) :biggrin:

Should be Imperial, Bristol, King's and Manchester. As you can tell I don't wanna study in the middle of nowhere
Reply 1253

Edinburgh, Newcastle, and I still need to pick 2 more.. it's impossible!!

UCL, LSE, Warwick (in order), with another one yet to be decided
Username: brasenose2012
GCSE (or equivalent): 6 A*s and 4As
IB: Biology HL (6/7), Geography HL (7), Mandarin B HL (7), Economics (7), Maths SL (7), English SL (6)
Subject: Law
College: Brasenose/ Balliol/ Worcester
Ahhh I have such great news :smile: My school has just been made an official partner school for the future with the Goethe Institut and the German government, which is amazing...and what's even more amazing is that three of us at our school have won scholarships to do this three week intensive course in a place called Schwäbisch Hall in Baden Württemberg in Germany! Everything's paid for- flights, accomodation, food, the course, evrything, and there's tons of culture-y stuff organised for us too, so the whole thing is worth about EUR 4000! I'm going, my best friend in the world is going, and there's a girl in Y9 going as well. It does mean I miss practically the whole summer, meaning my designated "do nothing but read books in preparation for applying to Oxford" time has vanished, and it does mean I have to work a horrendous, horrendous full-time week in Waitrose on coming back, and it does mean I miss results day, but still...! And I still find it hilarious how I seemed to be destined to end up in BaWü all the time :biggrin:

Just thought I'd share my elation :biggrin: it takes my mind off the fact that I haven't done my first draft of PS failure yet :no:

That sounds awesome, congratulations!

But with the higher fees, they have to pay the university £9,000 which technically we'll pay them at some point in the future. Without higher fees they have to pay the university slightly less, and then we pay them back for less than half of that. But a lot of people will never pay their loans back anyway. The education budget's staying the same, but the reason they're in such a flap at the moment is that they weren't reckoning on everyone charging £9,000, and they don't have enough money for everyone to do that.

:lol: Quick, hide! We should leave this thread and start up another cunningly disguised as one they'll never look at. I suggest "Brunei University Module H435 FAQs!". They'll never guess!

Probably Bristol, Imperial, St. Andrews, and The Fifth Choice. The Fifth Choice is a bit wobbly. It could be York - lovely city, very kind Scottish offer, reasonably good - but I'd prefer a non-campus. At one point I was thinking UCL (not as a fifth choice per se, but as the other one I'd apply to) but that would make 4 high-risk ones. I guess I'm really looking for a less competitive and high-achieving version of Oxford :redface:. It's very hard to find.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by brasenose2012
Username: brasenose2012
GCSE (or equivalent): 6 A*s and 4As
IB: Biology HL (6/7), Geography HL (7), Mandarin B HL (7), Economics (7), Maths SL (7), English SL (6)
Subject: Law
College: Brasenose/ Balliol/ Worcester

Hello! Please put yourself on this list :smile:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Probably Bristol, Imperial, St. Andrews, and The Fifth Choice. The Fifth Choice is a bit wobbly. It could be York - lovely city, very kind Scottish offer, reasonably good - but I'd prefer a non-campus. At one point I was thinking UCL (not as a fifth choice per se, but as the other one I'd apply to) but that would make 4 high-risk ones. I guess I'm really looking for a less competitive and high-achieving version of Oxford :redface:. It's very hard to find.

Manchester :colonhash:

Or is that too crap? I dunno but it's my fifth choice anyway. Their A Level offer is a nice AAB, dunno what it is for those scottish things
Original post by dnumberwang
Manchester :colonhash:

Or is that too crap? I dunno but it's my fifth choice anyway. Their A Level offer is a nice AAB, dunno what it is for those scottish things

For these Scottish things, it's incomprehensible. In Scotland, the norm is 4/5 Highers in equivalent-of-year-12, then if you want to go to England you'll probably do 2 or 3 Advanced Highers in equivalent-of-year-13. Manchester has 2 separate sets of entry requirements:
Advanced Highers - AAB, which is the same as Oxford, and much higher than you'd expect.
or Highers: "AAAAB which must include Advanced Highers in Mathematics at grade A." How can your highers include advanced highers? :confused:

Whereas York asks for AB at advanced highers, which is nice of them. I think the two universities are at a similar level for maths.

Latest

Trending

Trending