The Student Room Group

How old were you when you went to medical school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by JO FO SHO
I'll be 18 years and 2 months when I start :smile:

except I'll still look about 15 :mmm:

Are you asian?? :biggrin:
Reply 61
Original post by Renal
In my experience, I really don't think it does.

I'm not sure it is the added knowledge but the extra life experience that helps.

I don't think grad only entry will ever happen, it would be almost impossible for universities to implement.
Reply 62
i'll be 21 when i start this year. thanks to 2 years of forced military service :angry:
Reply 63
Original post by Isaacchan
i'll be 21 when i start this year. thanks to 2 years of forced military service :angry:

what will happen if you dnt do it?
Reply 64
I'll be just 18... if I get a place... fingers crossed! :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by bhamsh
what will happen if you dnt do it?

i'll go to jail. lol. no kidding. im not british if you haven't realised by now
Reply 66
i'll go to jail. lol. no kidding. im not british if you haven't realised by now

I knew you werent British, you going to come to Uk to do medicine
So if you came last year, what could they have done to you?
Reply 67
Original post by bhamsh
I knew you werent British, you going to come to Uk to do medicine
So if you came last year, what could they have done to you?

nothing, just that my citizenship will be revoked and i'll be jailed if i ever return to singapore i think.
Reply 68
nothing, just that my citizenship will be revoked and i'll be jailed if i ever return to singapore i think.

Can't you claim you're a conscientious objector?
Reply 69
23 :biggrin:
Reply 70
Original post by Beska
Can't you claim you're a conscientious objector?

not every country is as accommodating as the western countries :smile:
Reply 71
not every country is as accommodating as the western countries :smile:

Aha, fair enough.
Starting this September. Will be 21, soon to be 22
Reply 73
Original post by ringham33170
Starting this September. Will be 21, soon to be 22

post A level did you apply to medicine?
I will be 31 when I start next Sept.
Original post by bhamsh
Are you asian?? :biggrin:

how did you know :biggrin:
I was 18 and 1 month, had been clubbing like twice before I came to uni and fully embraced my fresher year. Absolutely fantastic, loved it!
Reply 77
I'll be 29 when I start. I'm a graduate, but have an offer for a 5yr undergrad course. At Kings 20% of their students were mature students on their 5 yr course, so you won't be alone and you certainly won't be the oldest - you are a spring chicken!
Reply 78
Ideally 22/23, I'm starting to think that if I'd got into medicine at 18/19. I probably would have regretted it.

I don't think most hopeful medics (even medics themselves) know what they're getting themselves into, though people see the downsides to medicine, they try to void it out (what I do) and reassure themselves saying 'they'll be able to handle it'. The 'glossy front page' of medicine is what appeals to most people. If they say otherwise, they lie.

You just have to actually become a doctor to know whether you love/like it or not. All the experience in the world is still insufficient.

A lot of the doctors I met weren't raving mad about medicine nor were they extremely passionate about it. Some were kind of indifferent to the fact that they were junior docs and some sounded as if they regretted picking medicine instead of say, dentistry. I personally couldn't do a job I wasn't passionate about.
I will be 18 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending