The Student Room Group

Learn to Work OR Work to Learn?

Learn to Work: what I mean by it is, do you go to University because that is an investment to a better a Job. The more highly paid job it is the better. You want to stand out from the competition in the job market and so you have a strategy. You are frequently thinking about potential employers.

Work to Learn: You want to go to a University so that you can learn as much as you can about a subject that interests you. You do not have a strategy or think about potential employers. You rather keep doing the subject that interest that you might decline an opportunity of a higher paid job in a completely different field.

Which one do you think you fit in?

May be this is just a generalisation or oversimplifying things. I just get surprised that people already think about potential employers and how highly paid is a particular job. I hate the thought of some day I won't be in education like taking breaks but not leave it completely. Therefore, I think I fit into Work to Learn, but hey who knows someday I may change my mind or I am just naive.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
And the winner of the best most unpopular threads goes to. Me.
Work to learn. I have an idea of what I'd like to do with my degree, but I didn't choose it because if that, I chose it because I wanted to study German :smile:
learn to work probably hard to say though.

without doing an engineering degree, theres no way i'd be able to become an engineer which is what i want in life.
Reply 4
I'm firmly in the 2nd camp. I can't foresee a time when I will stop wanting to learn new stuff. I just signed up for a 2nd degree FFS.
Learn to work. I'd say those working to learn are in the minority (well-off/financially comfortable). A lot of people may have an interest in their subject but if they didn't believe they could get a decent job out of it, they wouldn't bother (or haven't thought it through).

Money, whether for security or excess for pleasure, always takes priority.
Reply 6
Probably somewhere in between, but if I had to choose probably Work to Learn.

My uni course is an investment to a better job if I go on to do postgrad - I'm doing Psychology so obvious if I choose to become a psychologist I will need postgraduate. And I definitely wouldn't complain about getting a nicely paid job one day! I'm starting to look into postgraduate courses (although taking some time out first) and future employers, but I finish uni in two months so that's not really unusual.

But really I just want to do postgraduate in the topics that interest me most, so I can do more reading and research into those subjects and actually learn more about them. The jobs I'm interested in aren't the most highly paid jobs around, nowhere near, but it's just what I love.

Unfortunately, I need to find a better paid job (or a job in general at the moment :frown:) to actually fund postgrad.
Or 'work learn to'.

Really makes you think...
Reply 8
Learn to work. I've had my time of doing what I love for minimal wage and huge job satisfaction. I do love learning otherwise I wouldn't want to go to uni but the main aim is so that I can earn the maximum amount of money for the least amount of effort/hours.
Reply 9
For me I think it's a bit of both but mostly work to learn. I've had no choice but to get a degree for the career I want but I've always been fascinated with learning about the two subjects I do anyway.
Original post by Meron
Which one do you think you fit in?

I used to be part of the "Learn to Work" people, but after going out to the real world and maturing a little, I am now a "Work to Learn" person. :P

Based on experience, I think it takes a bit of maturity to realise that you are not just going out there to earn money for yourself, but to provide substantial contribution to the society as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending