The Student Room Group

Software engineer advise

I have 4 years of vanilla php, js,html and css and I started to recently learn laravel. I worked for two companies first one paid 24k and 2nd paying me 29k and this year I didn't get promotion it's hard living on. I been trying for over a year to get a new job but I always come 2nd due to no framework experience as I never had to learn it as current company is out dated. They don't use any structure or set of rules they follow they write code on same page it displays html and there are no dead lines or pressure and I been doing same stuff for over 3 years. I'm so sick of it and I feel stuck like im useless. Over the years I created so many features and cool stuff for the company however I never learned the basics other companies expect me to know as I always created code to work. So I gave up and I decided to take time to create websites portfolio and Learn after work. A company approached me and are very keen on me and they said its okay while I learn on the go but they are going by my CV and I feel like I'm not worthy don't know enough. My friend who worked at same company was in exact same boat he managed to escape and secure a job for 45k and now after passing probation he is on 50k going from 29k In 6 months. He said to accept any job and get out of the company and learn on the job and by being honest about my experience I was unable to get job for past year. I'm stressing and not sure what to do. What should I do
Original post by johnathanReid
I have 4 years of vanilla php, js,html and css and I started to recently learn laravel. I worked for two companies first one paid 24k and 2nd paying me 29k and this year I didn't get promotion it's hard living on. I been trying for over a year to get a new job but I always come 2nd due to no framework experience as I never had to learn it as current company is out dated. They don't use any structure or set of rules they follow they write code on same page it displays html and there are no dead lines or pressure and I been doing same stuff for over 3 years. I'm so sick of it and I feel stuck like im useless. Over the years I created so many features and cool stuff for the company however I never learned the basics other companies expect me to know as I always created code to work. So I gave up and I decided to take time to create websites portfolio and Learn after work. A company approached me and are very keen on me and they said its okay while I learn on the go but they are going by my CV and I feel like I'm not worthy don't know enough. My friend who worked at same company was in exact same boat he managed to escape and secure a job for 45k and now after passing probation he is on 50k going from 29k In 6 months. He said to accept any job and get out of the company and learn on the job and by being honest about my experience I was unable to get job for past year. I'm stressing and not sure what to do. What should I do

Can I just check:

Option 1: Stay in your company where you're "so sick of it" for a variety of reasons ("company is out dated", "don't use any structure or set of rules", "been doing same stuff for over 3 years"). £29K, with no pay rise (promotion) this year.
Option 2: Join the company which are "very keen on me" where "its okay while I learn on the go". £45K?

Why would you not choose option 2? :confused:

You say, "...but they are going by my CV and I feel like I'm not worthy". Is your CV accurate? If it is, then they think you're worthy. So jump ship, and learn how to do things properly with the new company.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Can I just check:

Option 1: Stay in your company where you're "so sick of it" for a variety of reasons ("company is out dated", "don't use any structure or set of rules", "been doing same stuff for over 3 years"). £29K, with no pay rise (promotion) this year.
Option 2: Join the company which are "very keen on me" where "its okay while I learn on the go". £45K?

Why would you not choose option 2? :confused:

You say, "...but they are going by my CV and I feel like I'm not worthy". Is your CV accurate? If it is, then they think you're worthy. So jump ship, and learn how to do things properly with the new company.

I been doing Web development for past 4 years so I guess I know the things I put down. What I'm referring to is laravel I put it down because I'm learning it on the go and with today online resources I can manage. The problem I think I have is comfort but honestly this company has been aquaired and new company is catching on their bad practises and the person who was supposed to lead hand in his notice. Worst case that can happen I get sacked so I look for new job and do free lancing if I think I'm this bad? Thanks for reply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending