The Student Room Group

Big 4 Interview Attire

Is a suit a must (specifically suit jacket) or can I get away with something a little more casual (waistcoat/just shirt/smart jumper e.t.c.)? It says if in doubt overdress, but I don't think I have the money for a new suit at the moment and I've outgrown my old ones.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Shirt + tie + jumper + smart trousers/shoes should be fine.
Reply 2
Yeah, a shirt, tie and jumper would be okay but every other interviewee will be in a full suit. It's a good fun watching the nervous applications in reception when they have an assessment day :P
Reply 3
Original post by Brotherhood
Is a suit a must (specifically suit jacket) or can I get away with something a little more casual (waistcoat/just shirt/smart jumper e.t.c.)? It says if in doubt overdress, but I don't think I have the money for a new suit at the moment and I've outgrown my old ones.

A suit is an absolute must, there's no two ways about that. Business attire will be the order of the day.
Reply 4
If you don't wear a suit then you'll be at a disadvantage.
Reply 5
When I was at a PWC insight day, one of the guys on an internship there said that at the end of his partner interview, the partner asked him why he wasn't wearing a suit!
Suit up!!
Reply 7
Okay cheers guys. Looks like a suit it is. I'm not going to look massively out of place with something from M&S, Debenhams or Burton am I? I just wish my Ted Baker one still fit me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
M and S do debenhams can do some good value suits, will do the job. I would recommend a blue (ish) suit and white shirt and a solid colour tie.
Reply 9
Can you really tell much difference between a Ted Baker and M&S suit just by looking at it briefly? Probably not.

You should really wear a suit, I was at an assessment day for one of the big four and everyone who went was wearing a suit. There were 15-20 ppl in the waiting room.
Reply 10
a) if you get the job you will need to buy a suit anyway. For most jobs you will need a suit so going 'sans suit' isn't sustainable in the long term anyway. Just bite the bullet and buy one.

b) go for fit. **** the brands it's not a big deal anyway. Unless you are proposing to spend £3k on a bespoke suit (and why would you? it creates a whole set of new problems whereby you may be categorised into as the metrosexual with a pineapple up his arse) then just make sure that what you choose fits you well. Chances are it won't go noticed... unless it's bright red or something.

Hope this helps. Don't worry too much about it. There are far more important things than the quality of your attire that will get you the job.
Okay cheers guys. Looks like a suit it is. I'm not going to look massively out of place with something from M&S, Debenhams or Burton am I? I just wish my Ted Baker one still fit me.

Mine is from Matalan, and I haven't had any complaints
Reply 12
Suit - doesn't need to be expensive just a token gesture to show you're prepared to play the game IMO.

Burtons traditionally supply penniless graduates with interview suits on credit.
Reply 13
My Mum's lending me some money and I want a nice one for grad/au balls and graduation so I've sucked it up and gone for:

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Brampton-Charcoal-Herringbone-2-Button-Men%27s-Suit---28942B/28942B,en_GB,pd.html?start=10&cgid=Mens_Bundled_Suits&srule=price-low-to-high
Reply 14
Looks fine, not sure what they were smoking with the RRP though, but that's TM Lewin all over.
Reply 15
TM lewin are nice, especially during sales, got around 7 shirts from them couple of weeks ago for 9 quid a pop.
Reply 16

One small piece of advice, if the suit you are getting for the interview is one you would later intend to wear to work, if possible try to get one that you can buy two or even three pairs of trousers with one jacket.

Over the years I have ended up with numerous work suits with shiny trousers and perfect jackets, the jackets spend most of the working day hanging up, the trousers just wear with everyday use.
Suit is pretty standard. I always go for plain coloured shirt with sensible tie; nothing too fancy. For GT assessment centre I wore a light purple shirt with a dark purple striped tie; did the job anyway :tongue:

Need a new suit before I start in August though.
Reply 18
Cheers guys, just found out I got through to Deloitte AC. :smile:
Reply 19
Congrats! How much are you willing/able to spend on a suit if you haven't already bought one? Suits You do a lot of well priced quality suits and usually have some kind of sale going on, so maybe that will help. Good luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending