The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
amazingtrade
You mean 25 years after graduation, not at 25 years of age!

now that would be a sweet deal!
Reply 21
It won't affect me because I'm starting in 2005. It means i won't be able to take a gap year though which i'm really annoyed about and also there will be extra competition for places
Reply 22
i feel sorry for the medical students....
Reply 23
~Sam~
It won't affect me because I'm starting in 2005. It means i won't be able to take a gap year though which i'm really annoyed about and also there will be extra competition for places

An extra 65,000 more students. Who are about 70%+ from private schools, meaning that they will probably take away places from other people.
Reply 24
the thing that worries me even more is the government saying that they won't put up fees again untill 2009. This effectively mean that they are going to put up fees in 2009. Also i don't beleive a word they say anymore so people could find themselves paying more before then. So anyone sitting here thats in year 8 or below could be paying anything between £5000 and £15000 a year. BY allowing this bill to be passed, the government is opening the floodgates for even bigger tuition fees. The irony being Blair would have had a free education including a maintainence grant to live on. Makes you sick really.
Reply 25
amazingtrade
You mean 25 years after graduation, not at 25 years of age!

Ooops. 25 years.
Reply 26
MattG
i feel sorry for the medical students....

Why?
Reply 27
Danithestudent
Oh thank god
My dad said if it was going to affect us I was going to have to withdraw all of my applications and get a job this year

It wouldnt affect you anyway going to uni this year.
But for those who will experience top up fees, basically unis can charge variable fees up to £3000 per year. Grants will be available for poorer students (up to £1500) and you have to pay back the fees once you leave uni and are earning £15000+
Debts get written off after 25yrs. You dont pay any of it up front.
Reply 28
I think it would be a good system except that I dont think they are realistically taking into account student living expenses I think they should have more pay backable funds available for that. If I was going to end up with a great job I wouldnt mind paying it back but I also think that it is too much to have hanging over your head because a good degree does not guarantee a good job these days.
For example, Surrey University vice-Chancellor, Professor Patrick Dowling said: "UniS expects to charge a standard fee of £3000 annually for all undergraduate courses."

So, we re not really talking about £3000 max. p.a but £3000 standard p.a. Moreover it's weird that students will have to pay the same amount of money no matter what they study. (decent or mickey mouse courses)

I will be starting in September 2004, so, in Sep. 2006 I will be starting my 3rd year. Will I have to pay top up fees, or it will start affecting 1st year students? :confused:
wizard
For example, Surrey University vice-Chancellor, Professor Patrick Dowling said: "UniS expects to charge a standard fee of £3000 annually for all undergraduate courses."

So, we re not really talking about £3000 max. p.a but £3000 standard p.a. Moreover it's weird that students will have to pay the same amount of money no matter what they study. (decent or mickey mouse courses)

I will be starting in September 2004, so, in Sep. 2006 I will be starting my 3rd year. Will I have to pay top up fees, or it will start affecting 1st year students? :confused:

Nope won't affect you
Well, that means that we can expect a big rise in demand for places at unis through clearing as well as for the next year entry. (2005)

Latest

Trending

Trending