The Student Room Group

Higher French at College 23/24

Hi,

Next year I am going into S5 and starting my Highers. My school offers French to Nat5 level but not to Higher, so I decided to take it at college instead. I'll also take 4 Highers at my school, so 5 in total, but I am concerned about how it will look on a future University application.

Would doing this negatively impact my future University Application? I still have the opportunity to switch to an in-school subject.
Reply 1
Original post by FM23
Hi,

Next year I am going into S5 and starting my Highers. My school offers French to Nat5 level but not to Higher, so I decided to take it at college instead. I'll also take 4 Highers at my school, so 5 in total, but I am concerned about how it will look on a future University application.

Would doing this negatively impact my future University Application? I still have the opportunity to switch to an in-school subject.

Hey! I’m pretty sure this would not affect your application, as it’s still a higher and 5 highers is more than enough for Scottish unis. To be honest, it’s probably more impressive that you took the initiative to continue French even though your school doesn’t offer it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Josie__B
Hey! I’m pretty sure this would not affect your application, as it’s still a higher and 5 highers is more than enough for Scottish unis. To be honest, it’s probably more impressive that you took the initiative to continue French even though your school doesn’t offer it :smile:

Hi, thanks for your reply! I appreciate the answer - to be honest I was probably getting myself worried about nothing! Have a good one :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by FM23
Hi,

Hello! I agree that it wouldn't affect your application - certainly didn't mine.

I can chime in however on the experience of doing French at college while at school: it's great! I did mine online at Edinburgh College, and from the materials to the teaching and beyond it was way better than what I got at school.

While mine was Adv Higher, I also knew the lecturers who did Higher/N5 who were perhaps actually even better! Even if not at Edinburgh College, I'm sure it'll be a blast.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending