The Student Room Group

Opposite-sex platonic relationships

Hey TSR I'm intrigued to hear abour your platonic friendships with people who you could be dating.

How do you establish that it is in fact a platonic relationship? Is one of the parties actually interested in something more? Has it ever crossed the line in any way? Has it ever been affected by/affected a different romantic relationship involing one of the people? Has anyone ever suspected something between the two of you? Have you ever lost a frienship due to it potentially becoming romantic?

I'm just interested to compare notes to be honest, I feel like these kind of situations have come up a lot in my life but no-one really actually talks about them.
I've got more male friends than female friends.

Although sometimes those friendships do end up going a bit further.
Reply 2
I have probably 4 female mates who are among my best friends in the world. Nothing has ever happened with any of them, I don't know about establishing boundaries, it's not a conversation we ever had. Three of them are married now and I wget on like a house on fire with their husbands, too.

An ex did think something was going on between me and one of them, but there never was anything and really she's basically part of the family and that's how we all treat each other. That same ex wasn't really great at making balanced assessments and in the end didn't like that I had friends full stop, regardless of gender.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending