The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I much prefer the ensuites due to the communal room/kitchen being much better. The ensuite bathrooms are far better/way more modern. Although I preferred the actual shower in the William Morris standard as it was like a powerhose.

Is the communal room/kitchen better in terms of being more modern or its size? And does it really matter that there's no cleaner? It's so hard to choose...Then again, maybe one/both will both be full and the choice will be made for me...
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Hi everyone!

I will firm Loughborough uni in a bit for Internation Relations.
I have visited the uni campus last week and I loved it because of the sport facilities (I am really into football!!! :manutd: )
now I have to choose the accommodation. I am thinking to apply for Bakewell or hazlerigg-rutland, but since I have read here that William morris is really the one for all the party animals, I am not sure for which one to go:frown:
I want to be in a hall where I have an en-suite and the hall needs to be a place where I am not gonna get bored after a couple of weeks.
and I am also worried about the date to apply for the accommodation? people on here saying that is gonna go in 10 min!!!
also, will everyone in the hall (the 6-8 people) go on with each other?

thanks!
Original post by Village Whisper
Is the communal room/kitchen better in terms of being more modern or its size? And does it really matter that there's no cleaner? It's so hard to choose...Then again, maybe one/both will both be full and the choice will be made for me...

Erm,

The non-ensuite one feels just like a basic kitchen with barstools and worktops.

The ensuite one has a separated kitchen and 3 sofa's plus a table. Sometimes you get people putting TV's and whatnot in there. It felt like a much more social environment.
Original post by mo-holland
Hi everyone!

I will firm Loughborough uni in a bit for Internation Relations.
I have visited the uni campus last week and I loved it because of the sport facilities (I am really into football!!! :manutd: )
now I have to choose the accommodation. I am thinking to apply for Bakewell or hazlerigg-rutland, but since I have read here that William morris is really the one for all the party animals, I am not sure for which one to go:frown:
I want to be in a hall where I have an en-suite and the hall needs to be a place where I am not gonna get bored after a couple of weeks.
and I am also worried about the date to apply for the accommodation? people on here saying that is gonna go in 10 min!!!
also, will everyone in the hall (the 6-8 people) go on with each other?

thanks!

People seemed to think that the popular halls went after a couple of minutes so you have to be lucky. Unless you hold an unconditional offer, im not sure of the accommodation process in that case.

I dont understand the second question.
Erm,

The non-ensuite one feels just like a basic kitchen with barstools and worktops.

The ensuite one has a separated kitchen and 3 sofa's plus a table. Sometimes you get people putting TV's and whatnot in there. It felt like a much more social environment.

Oh okay, thanks, that helps a lot :smile:
I dont understand the second question.

I mean, will people who live together in the hall, engage and do things together? are their lonely people, who never do stuff with the rest and be ignored by the rest?
Original post by yellowtrees
is everyone who chooses falk egg this year going to live in village court,
can't decide between falk egg, billmo and village court,

Falk Egg and William Morris are quite different.
Hi I was just wondering if anyone has had their accommodation emails yet, I have an unconditional offer for Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry at lboro so I know I get to apply for accommodation before most but I just wanted to know if anyone knows when we are going to get sent the emails about accommodation.

Thanks x
I've just heard they are the most social self catered halls?

William Morris seems quite social. Although I guess Harry French is because its so cheap.
Reply 1129
Original post by Alice_Rose
Hi I was just wondering if anyone has had their accommodation emails yet, I have an unconditional offer for Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry at lboro so I know I get to apply for accommodation before most but I just wanted to know if anyone knows when we are going to get sent the emails about accommodation.

Thanks x

I've got the same sittuation here. I have an unconditional offer and on the accommodation website it says that I may 'book' my accommodation on the 14 of may but I still haven't received any email whatsoever
is everyone who chooses falk egg this year going to live in village court,
can't decide between falk egg, billmo and village court,

I'm currently in Falk Egg and yes this is the case, the whole hall is being renovated next year so yep it will be village court.
Reply 1131
Hey! I am thinking of applying for Robert Bakewell next year. Does anyone know much about this hall?
Reply 1132
Original post by sanjj
Hey! I am thinking of applying for Robert Bakewell next year. Does anyone know much about this hall?

I live in robert bakewell so i can tell you about it :smile:

I got given a ground floor corner flat (biggest kitchen in terms of floor space, but less surfaces)
good points:
- Wide hallways, possible chance of getting an automatic door on the front of the block if you get block A or C as they have disabled rooms
- Large nice kitchen
- 4 foot bed and a large desk
- massive wardrobe, my clothes have lots of room :smile:
- space under the bed for big suitcases (but be careful, the wooden bits you lift up with the mattress are heavy, and if the mattress falls while you are trying to put a suitcase under... well i have finger injuries to show that is not nice. So make sure you are careful or have a friend to help put stuff under the bed)
- ensuite :smile: its a wet room but it dries in like an hour,
- room and bathroom cleaned once every other week
- lots of space outside to sit and have barbeques (which are done a lot in the beginning, and pizza parties)
- the hub, which has washing facilities and sports areas and the common room and post collection (though if you aren't a big fan of sports then you wont like watching tv in there :smile: )

bad points:
- You have to keep the kitchen tidy or you will get a fine, they check one day per week and leave you a notice to say how you've done. basically just make sure you've emptied the bins and haven't left stuff on the surfaces like old cheese or splashes around the hob. they aren't too picky but if it looks bad they will give you a warning.
- thin walls... i do NOT need to know that much about my flatmates. earplugs are a good buy for exam times. especially if you have flatmates who come in at 4 in the morning and don't think to keep it down.
- far away from the union, that's not a big deal but if its bad weather or you are a girl who wears high heels, your feet will be hurting a bit even before you get to the union. Pray its sunny and warm in freshers :smile:
- Far from the town, but there is a bus service that has a stop about a two minute walk away, if that, that costs £1.30 one way. so you can walk down, shop and get the bus back. there is also a card you can buy thats £11 pounds ten trips. that's useful.

Tips:
-Buy the platinum extra if you have the money and like going out. it saves you the 30 pounds for the big prom dance thing (not as great as they make out but it is a fun night and well worth the money for all the free alcohol stands)
Also some days you can bring a friend who doesn't have the card in with you for free. And queue jump is awesome :smile:
- dibs your freezer drawer and cupboards (you get one up and below, with a drawer in the below one) make sure you grab the biggest one before the others do. and get a cupboard and draw near the oven but not next to the bins. then you aren't near the dirty stuff near the sink and you don't get the smelly bins in your way.
- Don't worry about getting a house early. people say they go by Christmas but to be honest my friends are still looking now and one of my friends got a place recently that's really close to campus. so the good stuff stays for ages sometimes. some stuff goes but you can always get university returners accommodation, which is also nice but a bit more expensive.

hope this helps a bit in your choice :smile:
Reply 1133
Original post by Sawwah

I got given a ground floor corner flat (biggest kitchen in terms of floor space, but less surfaces)
good points:
- Wide hallways, possible chance of getting an automatic door on the front of the block if you get block A or C as they have disabled rooms
- Large nice kitchen
- space under the bed for big suitcases (but be careful, the wooden bits you lift up with the mattress are heavy, and if the mattress falls while you are trying to put a suitcase under... well i have finger injuries to show that is not nice. So make sure you are careful or have a friend to help put stuff under the bed)
- lots of space outside to sit and have barbeques (which are done a lot in the beginning, and pizza parties)
- the hub, which has washing facilities and sports areas and the common room and post collection (though if you aren't a big fan of sports then you wont like watching tv in there :smile: )

bad points:
- You have to keep the kitchen tidy or you will get a fine, they check one day per week and leave you a notice to say how you've done. basically just make sure you've emptied the bins and haven't left stuff on the surfaces like old cheese or splashes around the hob. they aren't too picky but if it looks bad they will give you a warning.
- thin walls... i do NOT need to know that much about my flatmates. earplugs are a good buy for exam times. especially if you have flatmates who come in at 4 in the morning and don't think to keep it down.
- far away from the union, that's not a big deal but if its bad weather or you are a girl who wears high heels, your feet will be hurting a bit even before you get to the union. Pray its sunny and warm in freshers :smile:
- Far from the town, but there is a bus service that has a stop about a two minute walk away, if that, that costs £1.30 one way. so you can walk down, shop and get the bus back. there is also a card you can buy thats £11 pounds ten trips. that's useful.

Tips:
-Buy the platinum extra if you have the money and like going out. it saves you the 30 pounds for the big prom dance thing (not as great as they make out but it is a fun night and well worth the money for all the free alcohol stands)
Also some days you can bring a friend who doesn't have the card in with you for free. And queue jump is awesome :smile:
- dibs your freezer drawer and cupboards (you get one up and below, with a drawer in the below one) make sure you grab the biggest one before the others do. and get a cupboard and draw near the oven but not next to the bins. then you aren't near the dirty stuff near the sink and you don't get the smelly bins in your way.
- Don't worry about getting a house early. people say they go by Christmas but to be honest my friends are still looking now and one of my friends got a place recently that's really close to campus. so the good stuff stays for ages sometimes. some stuff goes but you can always get university returners accommodation, which is also nice but a bit more expensive.

Wow thanks alot that's amazing, Im going to apply to ither Robert bakewell or rigg-rutt which I guess is the same.

Your info really helped me thnx.
Reply 1134
Original post by Sawwah

good points:
- Large nice kitchen

bad points:

Tips:

Thanks a lot for that!
The one other query was whether when you actually apply for your rooms in June do you have to be real lucky to get the accomodation of your choice?
Reply 1135
Original post by sanjj
Thanks a lot for that!
The one other query was whether when you actually apply for your rooms in June do you have to be real lucky to get the accomodation of your choice?

I think its a bit hit and miss. but one thing to do is to make sure you have internet explorer and chrome and all that so you can have the accomodation thing up on more than one browser so if it does crash you have more of a chance of getting through.

but if you try to get on before the time they say then it might lock you out for a bit. i think basically just sit there at the computer for about half an hour before the time, make sure you know what you want, then as soon as your clock hits the opening time, go for it. maybe even a minute before.

i was unconditional so didnt have any problems. but even if you dont get it first time i've heard of a lot of people that got put in another place and asked to be transferred then they got into bakewell.

i suppose a lot of freshers drop out early on.
Reply 1136
I need help choosing between Robert bakewell and Hazlerigg - Rutland,

Plz tell me what to choose since i have to book it tomorrow
Reply 1137
bakewell is bigger so has more events on like there is a summer bakewell ball coming up which should be great :smile:

also at the beginning your hall is like your team and you have chants, and a hall-off. and if its sunny you will have lots of space to relax in the quad. i think hazelrig is basically the same in terms of accomodation but you dont really get as much as baekwell in terms of activities.

i'm not really an outgoing person so i didnt really join in much, but i found it better as, because it was bigger, there was a much bigger chance of me finding friends. which i did :smile:

its up to you but thats why i picked bakewell :smile:
Is there anyone who lives in Elvyn and could tell me the pros and cons of living there please?
Trying to decide between Elvyn and Robert Bakewell and at the moment it's just their catering which seems different.
Reply 1139
Have confirmed my place in Elvyn today :smile: (unconditional) :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending