The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

am i right in thinking there are only three papers for us to practice with??
june 2010
jan 2011
and a specimen?
Original post by Flux_Pav
it is the voltage when no current flows

so like the cell potential but what does it actually mean?? :s-smilie:
Reply 1602
Original post by Perky perks
what is e.m.f??

electron motive force..... so the ability of an electron to readily be lost. The greater emf value the more oxidising ability
Original post by volvicstar
silly question but how do you work out concentration?

:lolwut:....moles divided by volume
Reply 1604
Original post by Jtking3000
:lolwut:....moles divided by volume

lol... :biggrin:
Original post by volvicstar
silly question but how do you work out concentration?

n=c x v if v is is dm^3 if it's in cm^3 then divide it be 1000.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1606
so like the cell potential but what does it actually mean?? :s-smilie:

tbh i don't know the deeper understanding - i'm just memorizing definitions LOL it works for me
Original post by asem93
electron motive force..... so the ability of an electron to readily be lost. The greater emf value the more oxidising ability

Original post by Flux_Pav
tbh i don't know the deeper understanding - i'm just memorizing definitions LOL it works for me

Thanks guys :smile:
actually, I'm a bit confused on free enrgy feasiblity. Can someone go throug all the options explaining them, please?
How does concentration of one solution in a half cell affect the Electrode Potential? How do you if it will be higher or lower?!
Original post by sportycricketer
How does concentration of one solution in a half cell affect the Electrode Potential? How do you if it will be higher or lower?!

You use le Chatelier's principle...For example if you increase conc of Cu2+ in Cu2+ + 2 e- =Cu equilibrium moves to the right to minimise change so electrons are removed from the equilibrium causing electrode potential to become less negative (higher).
Reply 1611

If the concentration is different, e.g. not standard conditions, then the Electrode Potential will be different from the Standard value given in the table.
If its lower or higher depends on which half cell (Oxidising agent or reducing agent) has had its concentration changed.

I believe.
Reply 1612
How do you calculate lattice enthalpy using enthalpy changes of solution and hydration ???
Reply 1613
Original post by 2141
How do you calculate lattice enthalpy using enthalpy changes of solution and hydration ???

you have to use the other form of Born Haber cycle...

Solution + LE = Hydration

Then you rearrange accordingly...... I think anyway (maybe wrong, this is from memory)
Original post by HappyEverLaughter
You use le Chatelier's principle...For example if you increase conc of Cu2+ in Cu2+ + 2 e- =Cu equilibrium moves to the right to minimise change so electrons are removed from the equilibrium causing electrode potential to become less negative (higher).

so more electrons removed the higher the electrode potential is?? and vice versa?
so more electrons removed the higher the electrode potential is?? and vice versa?

Yes.:smile:
Does pKa = pH?
Reply 1617
Original post by SteveScott
Does pKa = pH?

NO! NO! NO! :eek:
what is e.m.f??

Electromotive force.
Original post by SteveScott
Does pKa = pH?

OH GOD NO! don't get yourself confused 3 hours before the exam. :eek:
just forget you ever said that....in fact can you delete it so no one else reads that and questions themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending