The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

How clever are people at Warwick?

Recently, I submitted my firm of Warwick, and insurance of Nottingham for Civil Engineering.

Nottingham have sent me an information pack saying that if I get AAA and have Nottingham as firm then I am entitled to money. This has put me off greatly, considering I am aiming for A*A*Aa, and would be the exception rather than the norm. Being surrounded by ABB/AAB students, whilst clever, wouldn't push me as hard as more intellectual students would.

So, I was wondering what the average Warwick students grades are, as I'd like to be surrounded by people who are just as, preferably more, clever than I am. This is so I have plenty of healthy competition, and people above me in the class to strive to be as good as.

Before people say grades aren't everything, I admit they aren't everything, but they are a good indicator of how intelligent you are.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Warwick clever....its a new breed of clever.....fear them
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
They won't be anywhere near as clever as you, no one is. You are a god amongst men.
Original post by mrengineer
Recently, I submitted my firm of Warwick, and insurance of Nottingham for Civil Engineering.

Nottingham have sent me an information pack saying that if I get AAA and have Nottingham as firm then I am entitled to money. This has put me off greatly, considering I am aiming for A*A*Aa, and would be the exception rather than the norm. Being surrounded by ABB/AAB students, whilst clever, wouldn't push me as hard as more intellectual students would.

So, I was wondering what the average Warwick students grades are, as I'd like to be surrounded by people who are just as, preferably more, clever than I am. This is so I have plenty of healthy competition, and people above me in the class to strive to be as good as.

Before people say grades aren't everything, I admit they aren't everything, but they are a good indicator of how intelligent you are.

You definitely wont feel at a dumbed down university at Warwick
Reply 4
No offence...but are you for real?
I'm pretty sure there are going to be people at Nottingham who are "just as, preferably more, cleverer..." than you are.

Most of the Warwick mathematicians that I know are very clever. This year, they will all have higher grades than your prediction, otherwise they wouldn't get in. Grades aren't everything, though.
Reply 6
Original post by tarazzle
I'm pretty sure there are going to be people at Nottingham who are "just as, preferably more, cleverer..." than you are.

My point was that I want to be surrounded by people who are all like that, not just the odd couple

I don't know why you guys are hinting that i'm arrogant. The whole point of having sets in schools is so that you work with people similar to your ability, which is what I want to do.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
They're much brighter at Warwick. One of my best friends goes to Nottingham and all they teach at the university is how to steal cars and shoot people. I guess that's all these ABB students can understand.. :rolleyes:
Original post by tarazzle

I understand what he means. If you are at a university where most people aren't as clever you won't work as hard as if you were at a university where everyone else was cleverer. You would become complacent.
Reply 9
Original post by ilovedubstep
I understand what he means. If you are at a university where most people aren't as clever you won't work as hard as if you were at a university where everyone else was cleverer. You would become complacent.

This.

Yeah I'm impressed with Warwick maths
Does anyone going to Warwick currently know if the engineering guys are v clever?
This.

Yeah I'm impressed with Warwick maths
Does anyone going to Warwick currently know if the engineering guys are v clever?

engineering is not warwick strongest department to say the least...but i've heard it's still decent.
Reply 11
Well I know someone who's taking 5 A levels and is predicted 4 A* and an A. They got one of the A* a year early. They've got two offers from Warwick, one will be firm the other insurance - they're not sure which yet. Does the OP, in the light of that, not worry that Warwick students might be too good for you? Perhaps your 'set' is more appropriately Nottingham............??

Or maybe it's better look at other things.....................

(oh and the offers are in the Arts/Social Science, not Maths BTW)

Are you for real?
Reply 13

You might think you're smart now but when you get to university you'll become just as average as everyone else there.

We don't want you. We're too good for you.
The intelligence of each person will vary. Each will be academically successful but this is a very different thing. There will be people at every university who are more intelligent than many people at Warwick (and indeed any university).
I know someone who should be going to Warwick provided he gets his grades, and he is clever.
P.s read on another of your threads your predicted grades are only ABB...

''Before people say grades aren't everything, I admit they aren't everything, but they are a good indicator of how intelligent you are.''
Reply 18

Usually very intelligent :wink: But I'm going to be bias.

This competition at uni is not the same as school however, you don't really care about other people's grades as much.
Average offer is AAB but I would say the average student has AAAa usually.

I know my friends aren't indicative of all people at Warwick but my kitchen is more often than not engaged in some kind of political or economical argument. If we're not debating then people are doing their assignments together etc.
Reply 19

You do realise these are both top universities? And the people I know who went to Warwick last year got at least one A* at A level. I might go to Warwick and I'm predicted 4 A*s and an A in Extended project, (and I've already got one A*). You're gonna find some stiff competition if you go to any good academic uni.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest