The Student Room Group

Are police powers of arrest and search & seizure too wide?

Hi. I'm just practicing some past exam papers for public law and I've just revised police powers etc. I'm really stumped on one question and can't find any journal articles relating to it.

"Police powers for arrest and search and seizure are now far too wide. The powers encroach on civil liberties in a manner far beyond anything that can be justified as necessary for the prevention of crime."

Most of this part of the course is obviously governed by statute in the form of PACE. How can I write a good essay without it being overly boring and technical with too many references to PACE? I haven't been able to locate any decent resources with opinions about PACE or common law powers of arrest and seizure on Westlaw (been searching for a long time).

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
I've got of articles on this but finishing an essay right now. give me a couple of hours and if no one else chimes in I'll send you details.
Reply 2
Original post by cliffg
I've got of articles on this but finishing an essay right now. give me a couple of hours and if no one else chimes in I'll send you details.

That would be a massive help - are you undergrad too?
Reply 3
Arresting developments: increased police powers of arrest.
Ed Cape. Legal Action, 2006, Jan 24-27

Reasonable suspicion: a safeguard in relation to police powers of arrest?
Neil Parpworth.

C.L. & J. 2009, 173(10), 151-153.

[Criminal Law & Justice Weekly]

Police state or proportionate response?
Andrew Keogh.

N.L.J. 2006, 156(7208), 81.

[New Law Journal]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending