The Student Room Group

'Photos Emerge of U.S. Soldiers Allegedly Posing With Dead Afghan Civilians'

Germany's Der Spiegel magazine published pictures on Monday of American troops posing over the bloodied body of a man it said had been killed illegally in Afghanistan.
The disgusting and heartbreaking photos published last week in the media are finally bringing the grisly truth about the war in Afghanistan to a wider public. All the PR about this war being about democracy and human rights melts into thin air with these pictures of US soldiers posing with the dead and mutilated bodies of innocent Afghan civilians. Amongst those murdered was an innocent 15 year old boy.

This is disgusting and shameful. Nobody deserves to be treated like this. While these photos are new, the murder of innocents is not. I just wanted to know if anyone else has come across this terrible story.

I have provided an article below which may contain some graphic images. It would be worth while to read.
I am aware that this is not representative of all U.S soldiers, however you can make your own conclusions after reading the article.

I appreciate your time reading this thread.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-kill-team-20110327?page=1
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Read about this last week ."Kill team". It's awful especially how the government tried to cover up all of this when actually this minority of soldiers should've been punished and shown to the world that look we don't tolerate this behaviour.

The actual pictures are so sad too, like the one where they've posed next to a head. Disgusting. I can't even imagine how a human being can actually do this. No justice in the world.
Reply 2
Seriously.

What the hell.

What a bunch of murder hungry *****.
That has honestly made me feel sick. It's horrific that they could do that.
Reply 4
This is one of the most overbearing reasons that I'm a pacifist.
Reply 5
this are just the pictures that get leaked, most likely going on a daily basis.

very cruel world we live in.
Reply 6
Original post by harvie_316
this are just the pictures that get leaked, most likely going on a daily basis.

very cruel world we live in.

Just as well they are being put on trial for it as well as the men who tried to cover it up.
Reply 7
Jesus Christ, how can they pose like that? They show no remorse.
Reply 8
How can they live with themselves? Why take pictures?

"Aww cool, here's me holding up the head of a civilian I killed before I cut his finger off as a souvenir".
Where is this information actually from?

It reads like a story. The journalists must have the best source in the world.
Before everyone jumps on the bandwagon comdemning these soldiers, I think it's worth reading Zimbardo's research into the issue:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=are-war-crimes-caused-by-bad-apples-2010-10-04
Reply 11
Original post by cookie love
All the PR about this war being about democracy and human rights melts into thin air with these pictures of US soldiers posing with the dead and mutilated bodies of innocent Afghan civilians. Amongst those murdered was an innocent 15 year old boy.

As horrific as the behaviour of these individuals is, it's absolute nonsense to argue that it refutes the simple truth that human rights and democratic principles have improved dramatically since the Coalition intervention in Afghanistan.

Under the Taliban, 15 year old boys were (and in some cases still are) whipped in the streets for being unable to grow facial hair. The 2001 invasion put stop to an impending genocide against Afghanistan's Hazara population by the Taliban. The Buddhas of Bamiyan (which the Taliban fanatically demolished because they were considered to be un-Islamic) are likely to be rebuilt in the near future.

Detailed focus on human rights abuses by U.S. soldiers, as awful as they are, seems to blind some people from the true horrors of the regimes the U.S. helped depose. The Abu Ghraib scandal, for example, was relatively a non-event compared to some of the atrocities that had occurred in that prison prior to 2003. People like the OP would rather present a snuff film, instead of rigorously tackling the question: why are we even aware of the fact that these abhorrent acts have taken place? Because the U.S. forces that operate in Afghanistan are held accountable by a free press, and conditions which allow focussed attention on such events. The Taliban, on the other hand, are not. We simply cannot know the extent of the carnage that they have caused in the past, and do currently in the areas in which they operate.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Suetonius
As horrific as the behaviour of these individuals is, it's absolute nonsense to argue that it refutes the notion that human rights and democratic principles have not improved dramatically since the Coalition intervention in Afghanistan.

Under the Taliban, 15 year old boys were (and in some cases still are) whipped in the streets for being unable to grow facial hair. The 2001 invasion put stop to an impending genocide against Afghanistan's Hazara population by the Taliban. The Buddhas of Bamiyan (which the Taliban fanatically demolished because they were considered to be un-Islamic) are likely to be rebuilt in the near future.

Detailed focus on human rights abuses by U.S. soldiers, as awful as they are, seems to blind some people from the true horrors of the regimes the U.S. helped depose. The Abu Ghraib scandal, for example, was relatively a non-event compared to some of the atrocities that had occurred in that prison prior to 2003. People like the OP would rather present a snuff film, instead of rigorously tackling the question: why are we even aware of the fact that these abhorrent acts have taken place? Because the U.S. forces that operate in Afghanistan are held accountable by a free press, and conditions which allow focussed attention on such events. The Taliban, on the other hand, are not. We simply cannot know the extent of the carnage that they have caused in the past, and do currently in the areas in which they operate.

Well said.

People hold up examples like this to futher their political agendas in the most deplorable ways. Yes it is an horrific event, but it is no way a reflection of Coalition forces nor the war in Afghanistan. People are so ready to condemn every bit of good those forces do when 1 instance occurs, and yet so ready to dismiss the thousands that occur under regimes like the Taliban.
Reply 13
:'(
The world is a bad place people are rightly upset but they should be smart enough not to be shocked or surprised.
so sad...
Reply 16
Original post by Aj12
Just as well they are being put on trial for it as well as the men who tried to cover it up.

Oh really?

The men who tried to cover it up are otherwise known as NATO/US govt.

When the killings finally became public last summer, the Army moved aggressively to frame the incidents as the work of a "rogue unit" operating completely on its own, without the knowledge of its superiors.

Even before the war crimes became public, the Pentagon went to extraordinary measures to suppress the photos an effort that reached the highest levels of both governments.

Investigators in Afghanistan searched the hard drives and confiscated the computers of more than a dozen soldiers, ordering them to delete any provocative images

The Pentagon's top command, rather than addressing the morale problems, actually held up the brigade as a media-worthy example of progress in the war.

So far, though, no officers or senior officials have been charged in either the murders or the cover-up.

So you see only the ****s who did those crimes have been prosecuted. Nothing happened to the rest who were complacent other than perhaps a slap on the wrist.

When I read that article I just kept thinking 'this is Vietnam all over again'. American soldiers who are ****ed in the head go around killing innocents when a squad member dies or whatever. They garner an intense hatred of the innocent locals and go crazy.

I shed no sympathy what so ever.

This is not a few bad apples. This is not the only case something like this has happened. Nato actively works to cover such incidences up. The local statements count for sweet fanny adams. No-one is sure to what extent this crap goes on in the army. If a local is killed for whatever reason wether intentional or not, the soldiers involved will plant weapons on them to save their own careers. Such is the reality of war.

People always have these sweet notions of war as being admirable and 'just' and love it so. The reality of war is none of those things. When you experience a family member or squad member being gunned down in front of your eyes you will not be feeling so 'sweet'. If you lose a family member due to war you will not feel so 'sweet'. If you lost a leg due to war you would not feel so 'sweet'. If you witness the abuse/rape of a civilian you will not feel so 'sweet'. If you see a severed head or mangled brains you will not feel so 'sweet'.

People are quick to suggest war as an option but they generally have never felt any of the above. I do not wish that upon anyone however.

The Afghans have felt this. They do not want this war.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Pukhtun
Oh really?

The men who tried to cover it up are otherwise known as NATO/US govt.

When the killings finally became public last summer, the Army moved aggressively to frame the incidents as the work of a "rogue unit" operating completely on its own, without the knowledge of its superiors.

Even before the war crimes became public, the Pentagon went to extraordinary measures to suppress the photos an effort that reached the highest levels of both governments.

Investigators in Afghanistan searched the hard drives and confiscated the computers of more than a dozen soldiers, ordering them to delete any provocative images

The Pentagon's top command, rather than addressing the morale problems, actually held up the brigade as a media-worthy example of progress in the war.

So far, though, no officers or senior officials have been charged in either the murders or the cover-up.

So you see only the ****s who did those crimes have been prosecuted. Nothing happened to the rest who were complacent.

When I read that article I just kept thinking 'this is Vietnam all over again'. American soldiers who are ****ed in the head go around killing innocents when a squad member dies or whatever. They garner an intense hatred of the innocent locals and go crazy.

I shed no sympathy what so ever.

This is not a few bad apples. This is not the only case something like this has happened. Natto actively works to cover such incidences up. The local statements count for sweet fanny adams. No-one is sure to what extent this crap goes on in the army.

Last I heard in a another article on another thread was that a number of others were being tried because they put pressure on the investigators.

This is not NATO but the US army.

Anyway one man has been given a 10 year sentence for evidence against the others whom will be facing anything from life to the death penalty
Reply 18
Original post by Aj12
Last I heard in a another article on another thread was that a number of others were being tried because they put pressure on the investigators.

Link please?

Original post by Aj12
This is not NATO but the US army.

These stories seem to be more common in the US army. What I stated though applies to both institutions.

Original post by Aj12
Anyway one man has been given a 10 year sentence for evidence against the others whom will be facing anything from life to the death penalty

Out of interest do you support the death penalty?
Reply 19
Original post by Steevee
Well said.

People hold up examples like this to futher their political agendas in the most deplorable ways. Yes it is an horrific event, but it is no way a reflection of Coalition forces nor the war in Afghanistan. People are so ready to condemn every bit of good those forces do when 1 instance occurs, and yet so ready to dismiss the thousands that occur under regimes like the Taliban.

I'm sure the media takes the role to embrace every bit of good those forces carry out. But I think people need to question the negative aspects as well which are uncovered or just not paid as much attention to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending