The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Project 2-finished!..or at least, I refuse to do any more on it. Now to finish writing up my third one, and do an entire 4th one by, uh...Wednesday...
Original post by Mrs Cullen
Reading a book (but not one that will get me thinking about it too hard) :wink: sometimes helps me.

Funny, it's the reverse for me. Books that I need to think hard about cause me to fall asleep. This doesn't bode well for my plans to go into research.
Reply 102
Original post by Zhen Lin
Funny, it's the reverse for me. Books that I need to think hard about cause me to fall asleep. This doesn't bode well for my plans to go into research.

You don't happen to have found any projects particularly quick and/or easy do you? :P
Contemplating the factorisation one, as some bits look alright, but I seem to recall someone saying it was pretty bad..
Original post by Slumpy
You don't happen to have found any projects particularly quick and/or easy do you? :P
Contemplating the factorisation one, as some bits look alright, but I seem to recall someone saying it was pretty bad..

I quit after two projects (16.1 and 14.6). I was planning to do the Representation Theory one but it turned out to be troublesome. If by factorisation you mean the Galois project, it's not actually all that troublesome in the end. Except maybe for the part where they ask you to calculate remainders / quotients, but nothing sophisticated is needed there.
Reply 104
Original post by Zhen Lin
I quit after two projects (16.1 and 14.6). I was planning to do the Representation Theory one but it turned out to be troublesome. If by factorisation you mean the Galois project, it's not actually all that troublesome in the end. Except maybe for the part where they ask you to calculate remainders / quotients, but nothing sophisticated is needed there.

Nah, I did the Galois one already, I meant the NT one, but I'm thinking I will do that one, looks the best of the remaining ones.
Quitting after 2 may've been a good move by how much fun these have been :p:
Don't suppose anyone knows where the Sidgwick Avenue Lecture-Rooms are, do they? I have 3 exams in there and my current plan on getting there is to walk up and down Sidgwick Avenue and listen for the nervous mutterings of law students :tongue: Not sure how great a plan this is...
Original post by gethsemane342
Don't suppose anyone knows where the Sidgwick Avenue Lecture-Rooms are, do they? I have 3 exams in there and my current plan on getting there is to walk up and down Sidgwick Avenue and listen for the nervous mutterings of law students :tongue: Not sure how great a plan this is...

I have a couple of exams there - the Economics Faculty list those exams as taking place in "Lecture Block" so that would mean the big multi-story lecture building on the right of the Sidgwick Site (if you take the main entrance with the car park, and the cafe on the left).

I have exams there this year as well. From what I hear it's one of the worst experiences ever - even worse than having them in the law faculty. :frown:
Original post by The West Wing
I have exams there this year as well. From what I hear it's one of the worst experiences ever - even worse than having them in the law faculty. :frown:

I had lectures in there this year and exams there in first year - the rooms are worse than our lecture room back at school.
I don't mind them, but some people recommend bringing a cushion... Hard wooden benches. Just wander over from the Law Fac under the Raised Faculty Building and it's on your left.

I have some in the "Faculty of Law" - I take it that's the standard lecture theatre (LG18/19)?

Also, can anyone tell me where the Corn Exchange is, please? Is it roughly near The Cow? :colondollar:
Reply 111
Original post by Tortious
I have some in the "Faculty of Law" - I take it that's the standard lecture theatre (LG18/19)?

Also, can anyone tell me where the Corn Exchange is, please? Is it roughly near The Cow? :colondollar:

Yes, just opposite it. You can't miss it!
Original post by alex_hk90
I have a couple of exams there - the Economics Faculty list those exams as taking place in "Lecture Block" so that would mean the big multi-story lecture building on the right of the Sidgwick Site (if you take the main entrance with the car park, and the cafe on the left).

Cool, thanks :smile: I'll have a look out for it later!

... I have my other 2 in the law faculty ... this will be a FUN experience.

Original post by Tortious

Yeah. Basically, do you know where Christ's is? Walk up from Christ's Porter's Lodge until you get to the road between Disney Shop and the Guildhall. Go down the road and it curves to the right. Follow it and you'll see the main entrance. You'll be going in through the side which is on the right hand side of the building. (I think if you keep going up that road, you come out on King's Parade)
Reply 113
Also, the Sidgwick Site lecture block's not THAT bad, all. I had all 16 hours of my exams in it last year and I'm still alive.
Original post by Melz0r
Yes, just opposite it. You can't miss it!

Yeah. Basically, do you know where Christ's is? Walk up from Christ's Porter's Lodge until you get to the road between Disney Shop and the Guildhall. Go down the road and it curves to the right. Follow it and you'll see the main entrance. You'll be going in through the side which is on the right hand side of the building. (I think if you keep going up that road, you come out on King's Parade)

Thanks very much! :h:
Hours of work done today: zero.

Hours of sleep today: Far too many.

Because of my inability to do anything productive during the day, I've had to cancel my evening plans in the hope of being able to do something tonight :rolleyes:. Also, I have a book from the Seely library, which means I'll have to drag myself out of bed before 10am tomorrow to return it :mad:
I can confirm that Sidgwick Avenue Lecture Rooms is the same thing as the lecture block - when you get there on the day, it will say on the boards outside which specific room you're in. And I can also confirm that it's kind of uncomfortable, although bearable like Melz0r says. I managed all my second year exams and my finals there without any cushions. What's more annoying is actually how close the person in front is to you, although you forget about it once you start writing.
Original post by Supergrunch
I can confirm that Sidgwick Avenue Lecture Rooms is the same thing as the lecture block - when you get there on the day, it will say on the boards outside which specific room you're in. And I can also confirm that it's kind of uncomfortable, although bearable like Melz0r says. I managed all my second year exams and my finals there without any cushions. What's more annoying is actually how close the person in front is to you, although you forget about it once you start writing.

I'm a tad confused about cushions ... do we need them? I sat all my exams in the Corn Exchange last year and don't recall having cushions :confused:.

Oh well, no one said exams were meant to be fun. It'll just make me more keen to get to the end I suppose. At least I'll only have to endure one week of uncomfortable exam halls :smile:
People have said on here that their faculties told them to bring cushions/pillows because the lecture block has uncomfortable seats, but I was never told that and it wasn't too bad. And I can't remember seeing anyone with pillows, although I did have other things on my mind at the time...
Reply 119
Guess tonight's looking like an all nighter. Ah well!

Latest

Trending

Trending