The Student Room Group

how many hours of gcse revision?

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys! I'm currently a university student, but did pretty well at GCSE! Nothing below an A grade.

My advice is: time doesn't matter. it's the way you revise! I'd reccomend doing past papers for sciences and maths, and speaking out loud with friends and forming arguments for things like RE, english, and history. This is going to be a lot more effective than simply writing out notes! In that case, you could get away with 1 or 2 hours if the revision is very good.

I use the same tactics as I did back then, and made a video about it!
https://youtu.be/28weicXMNZg

I will also be doing a more general 'how to revise' for gcse video, so stay tuned.
Did you get A* for every subject ?
4 hours (if you want A).If you do 6 hours you shouldn't worry about your GCSE grades.6 hours of study=A*.
Did you get A* for every subject ?
Original post by LennyBicknel
Also hours don't equal grades - quality of studying and understanding equals grades. If you use an effective method of revising which is catered to you, you could easily remember 3 hours worth of 'highlighting' (I know this works for some, but not most) into 1 hour.

That is tru but at the same time 10 hours of productive revision will always out weigh 4 hours of productive revision, if you get what I mean. obviously it needs to b productive but hours can mean you get more done.
Reply 45
I'm only doing maths and pe because I'm doing it a year early so would 1 hour a night plus a practice test at the weekend be ok for the 3 months before the exams because I'm away for the whole of Easter holidays
Depends how smart you are and how well you absorb knowledge in the lesson, I'm in year 11 and have been getting As/A* (7/8/9 in the new spec) since the start of year 10. I get by on just an hour of revision a night then a big 4 hours in the library every Tuesday. Work hard in lessons, don't waste your time on revision materials you won't use (aka just re-writing words off bitesize, you're not going to remember it), and do short bursts of revision on apps such as Quizlet and KhanAcademy. 10/20/25 minute recaps on subject sub-topics is soooo much more efficient than sitting down for two hours trying to revise a subject as a whole because there's just too much to learn in one go.
**** *****es make them do your exams and get 9s easy
Here's what I did:

January: 1-2 hours a day
February: 3-4 hours a day
March: 5-6+ hours a day

Planning to do 10 hours a day in Easter holidays.
On weekdays, I try to revise from 5pm to about 7/8 ish, take a break/play an instrument until nearly 10, then carry on until 11. So that's about 3 to 4 hours a day (which would be good but I procrastinate during those times a bit too much, still get everything I'm planning to get done though). Weekends is basically constant revision from when I wake up to when I sleep, with breaks for food and just general slacking off.

The most I've ever revised is during Christmas break. Pretty much constant past papers and worksheets from morning until night every day, for my maths igcse. Then I burned out for about a month, so I would recommend NOT doing that.

Quick Reply

Latest