The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick..erm..Law interview??!!.. I think!!

Hi, Well something strange happened to me t'other day. I'm a mature student, and I attended an interview at Warwick Uni to read Law in Sept/Oct this year. There were several other people there, and we all went in to one room to "chat" pretty casually with two of interviewers. The atmosphere was sooooo informal, and we didn't really get asked anything aside from Why Law at Warwick. We "chatted" for about twenty minutes and then the interviewers said that we DIDN'T have to have individual interviews if we didn't WANT to. We all did of course cos it gave us the opportunity to have some time to shine. But when we went in separately we were told that they were not going to ask us any questions. I went ahead and told them my aims, plans, desires, etc.. but I don't know whether to be really worried by the informality of it all, or to see it as something positive. What do you all think? I'm trying not to get my hopes up cos I really, really want to go there.... Apparently no one got below a 2:2 this year for Law!
Reply 1
christina_d24
Hi, Well something strange happened to me t'other day. I'm a mature student, and I attended an interview at Warwick Uni to read Law in Sept/Oct this year. There were several other people there, and we all went in to one room to "chat" pretty casually with two of interviewers. The atmosphere was sooooo informal, and we didn't really get asked anything aside from Why Law at Warwick. We "chatted" for about twenty minutes and then the interviewers said that we DIDN'T have to have individual interviews if we didn't WANT to. We all did of course cos it gave us the opportunity to have some time to shine. But when we went in separately we were told that they were not going to ask us any questions. I went ahead and told them my aims, plans, desires, etc.. but I don't know whether to be really worried by the informality of it all, or to see it as something positive. What do you all think? I'm trying not to get my hopes up cos I really, really want to go there.... Apparently no one got below a 2:2 this year for Law!

Don't be worried. I reckon some clever interviewing techniques were being carried out :wink: Firstly, very good of you to ask for an independent interview. Secondly, well done for talking about your aims, plans etc they want an assertive and ambitious person :smile: I am sure you will be fine. :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Did you get an offer from Warwick? :-)

I'm a mature student too, going to Warwick next week for an "informal interview", so I'm really glad to have found some further information about it!!

I am offering Access Course plus A Level (in one year, predicted A), but only just heard from Warwick. Wondering what my chances are...

Did you take an Access Course?
Reply 3
supernova
Did you get an offer from Warwick? :-)

I'm a mature student too, going to Warwick next week for an "informal interview", so I'm really glad to have found some further information about it!!

I am offering Access Course plus A Level (in one year, predicted A), but only just heard from Warwick. Wondering what my chances are...

Did you take an Access Course?

hey email me ill tell u more thats my mate ell up there i was there too i have an offer now, my interview was with andrew williams
Reply 4
What's this mature student thing all about? Meaning if you are above certain age, holding certain jobs, they will not really go stringent on your A Level or equivalent grades?
Reply 5
One more thing, Does it mean that being a mature student increase the chances of getting into the university iteself?
Reply 6
eunice
One more thing, Does it mean that being a mature student increase the chances of getting into the university iteself?

My BF is doing the whole mature student thing. Most have criteria that you have to be over 21 and *show eveidence of recent academic study* most people do the Access course. - A 1 year course doing basic alevel type subjects.

Nearly all unis have quotas of mature students to fill so show they are *socially inclusive* they reserve a certain number of places on courses for mature students. For example i know for a fact that at Nottingham Uni they reserve 8 places out of 115 for law, which does seem a bit high for saying that 3000 or so school leaving students go for places there and no where near that proportion of app : places for mature students.
For some subjects i think mature students get a better deal
Reply 7
Ladyluck
My BF is doing the whole mature student thing. Most have criteria that you have to be over 21 and *show eveidence of recent academic study* most people do the Access course. - A 1 year course doing basic alevel type subjects.

Nearly all unis have quotas of mature students to fill so show they are *socially inclusive* they reserve a certain number of places on courses for mature students. For example i know for a fact that at Nottingham Uni they reserve 8 places out of 115 for law, which does seem a bit high for saying that 3000 or so school leaving students go for places there and no where near that proportion of app : places for mature students.
For some subjects i think mature students get a better deal

Meaning can I put it that, if I am 21 years of age, have very fantastic GCSE O' Level Grades but no A Level, in return I have attained a decent grade in University of London 1st Year LLB, am I eligible for Universities such as Nottingham etc?
Reply 8
eunice
Meaning can I put it that, if I am 21 years of age, have very fantastic GCSE O' Level Grades but no A Level, in return I have attained a decent grade in University of London 1st Year LLB, am I eligible for Universities such as Nottingham etc?

yep but you have to be put along side next years competition, and u gota show your academic ability, plus you will be invited for an interview and asked to do an essay
Reply 9
Sunnyt
yep but you have to be put along side next years competition, and u gota show your academic ability, plus you will be invited for an interview and asked to do an essay

But what will the procedure be like if I am an International Student?
Are they going to send someone over to Singapore and Interview me?
Reply 10
eunice
But what will the procedure be like if I am an International Student?
Are they going to send someone over to Singapore and Interview me?

They ask you to come over, if you for some reason can't, they'll make you an offer or they won't...
Reply 11
Wal
They ask you to come over, if you for some reason can't, they'll make you an offer or they won't...

keke.. thanks...

Latest