The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

qmblix
Avoid the Rush Hour you idiot. I get to Oxford Street in 30-35mins everytime.

qmblix i applaud your loyalty, your always advocating what a great uni QM is; i wouldn't have considered going there if i hadn't heard so many wonderful things about it from you :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 41
LOL...Hey Sarah..I speak the truth :-)
Reply 42
walshie
Your having a laugh - right?
Royal Holloway near to London? I'd get to C.London quicker from Brighton on a fast Thameslink! Isn't it in Epsom[1] which is in some fields in Surrey? Zone 6?? with a really bad train line to even get to Waterloo.

[1] Edit: I meant Egham!

When I went to the RHUL open day, it took 40 mins from Waterloo. Not too bad.

Though Kings Cross - Brighton on the Thameslink might be about the same I think.
Reply 43
Rush hour? Who are you calling an idiot?

It takes 50 minutes without:

Cheapside and Poultry being a gridlock.
Holborn Viaduct (St. Pauls, City Thameslink) without being a gridlock.
Tottenham Court Road without being a gridlock.
Oxford Street without being a gridlock.

Believe me, it took 55 minutes to Oxford Circus, when the above four locations were gridlocked - now that's rush hour at 4:15-5:15pm in the evening. Guess what? I "cheated" that time by walking it from Tottenham Court Road and beating the bus to Oxford Street.

It would have taken 60 minutes had I stayed on the bus!
Reply 44
I was going to say - it's quicker everytime to get off at Sainsbury's at Holborn and walk the rest. Especially in December and at weekends...
Reply 45
Well, I've rarely experienced such delays going to Central London. I only travel after 6pm and at night.
Reply 46
hey qmblix i hav been reading ur posts for some time now & i think u r the right person who can clear some of my doubts i'll be joining QMUL frm September'2006 for the course in electronic engineering .......i hav decided that i will move into a private accomodation straight away & won't opt for university accomodation........do u think its a sensible decision.........how can i look for private accomodation .......can i arrange some kind of prvt accom. before i leave for london or do i need to b there in person before nething can be done.........r u staying in a pvt accom....how can i contact other students of QMUL who r already living privately.....plz advise me how should i go about it...........Thnx
Reply 47
ramank
hey qmblix i hav been reading ur posts for some time now & i think u r the right person who can clear some of my doubts i'll be joining QMUL frm September'2006 for the course in electronic engineering .......i hav decided that i will move into a private accomodation straight away & won't opt for university accomodation........do u think its a sensible decision.........how can i look for private accomodation .......can i arrange some kind of prvt accom. before i leave for london or do i need to b there in person before nething can be done.........r u staying in a pvt accom....how can i contact other students of QMUL who r already living privately.....plz advise me how should i go about it...........Thnx

Why? Personally I think you're mad. QM student accommodation is amongst the nicest in London, especially with the next phase of the Westfield Student Village comming soon...

What do you mean by private accommodation? Sharing a flea pit with strangers, or renting/buying your own flat? If it's the former, I still question your sanity, but if you can, pay a visit to QMUL, there's a 'private' accommodation board by the accommodation office in the Queen's builiding - the accomm office do produce a list, but I would heavily recommend visiting any place that makes it on you your 'possible' list and don't just turn up and move in...
Reply 48
ramank

Wouldn't bother with Private accommodation. Put it this way, I turned down living with my brother for student accommodation. Brother lives in Canary Wharf (just nice, believe me). I chose student accommodation because:
a) Its just so much easier to get to lectures after a sore night out
b) No hassle from your landlord
c) Nothing should break down
d) Student village is very modern
e) integration with other students
f) More prone to get involved with the SU and get most out of Uni life :smile:

If you really want Private: 'Bastard Thieves' next to Mile End tube will help you out. They helped some friends out for last year.
Reply 49
I went for an English interview and i really liked it. However, i'm staying at home so its roughly an hour each way
Reply 50
LoveMusic
I went for an English interview and i really liked it. However, i'm staying at home so its roughly an hour each way

You won't be able to redise in student accommodation until the 3rd year then, unless there is plenty more residences being built that I don't know about :smile:

Without prejudice, humainities based subjects aren't requiring you to be at Uni all week whereas some Science subjects require 20hrs a week and then the use of their facilities (due to equipment) at the Uni. I practically slept there in the semester from Sept - December 05. Madness.

Thank god I had a humanities based subject involved as well, or i'd have been slaughtered. I lived an hour away as well from Uni, and it just got too much leaving at 12am to catch train home and then be in again for lecture at 9am.
Reply 51
I agree. The rooms at QMUL are well nice... clean lines, new furniture, en suite bathroom....heaven! They are the best in London from what I've seen. Grotty is an understatement if you want to find something for the same price in central.The accomodation at Kings looks awful compared to QMUL. The places which are remotely nice are soooo expensive.
Reply 52
im still unsure for law whether queen mary. Why does queen mary have low entry requiremnets and which would be betetr choice?? andd about acommodation would it be best at the student village or central london uni of london halls?
Reply 53
richie_009
im still unsure for law whether queen mary. Why does queen mary have low entry requiremnets and which would be betetr choice?? andd about acommodation would it be best at the student village or central london uni of london halls?

I have a friend of a friend with a AAA offer and another with an AAB offer for law at QMUL. I didn't think that was low...
Reply 54
richie_009

Answering your questions:

1) It's a strategic game. Offer's don't necessarily reflect reputation of a uni, but generally reflect demand to obtain maximum number of students. Difficult to say in detail, which is a better choice unless you've lived the student dream at whatever institutions you've applied for or have done visits yourself.

2)Student Village. It's on campus. No travel costs. Meet 'all in the same boat' students from QM.
Reply 55
qmblix
Answering your questions:

1) It's a strategic game. Offer's don't necessarily reflect reputation of a uni, but generally reflect demand to obtain maximum number of students. Difficult to say in detail, which is a better choice unless you've lived the student dream at whatever institutions you've applied for or have done visits yourself.

Agreed. It's also worth remembering that QM has one of only 8 UK law schools to be awarded a 5 Star grading for research of international excellence in the last RAE. Only three london law schools have this - QMUL, UCL and LSE.

Money and teaching excellence usually follows high RAE ratings...
Reply 56
thankssss for that its really motivating.Could you pleasee tell meee which is better lol leeds law or qm law
richie_009
thankssss for that its really motivating.Could you pleasee tell meee which is better lol leeds law or qm law

the prev post says it all....QM wud be a good choice though..me too used to think why QM has less grade requirements..now its cleared....
it seems all UK univs have negative growth in application numbers, except QM, which showed a 10% increase!! cool....

Latest

Trending

Trending