The Student Room Group

Deciding between courses

I've received my offers from universities but I am finding it hard to choose a firm university (I've decided on my safety), it's between Manchester University and Queen Marys, both to study law and do have the same entry requirements. Which has a better course, reputation, or even culture of the university?
What did you think when you visited each of them?
Reply 2
Honestly, I liked them both, Manchester did feel different but had a fun atmosphere since I have family there, but Queen Mary felt homely because I live in London and isn't too far for me.
As a Queen Mary student, I am obviously biased towards Queen Mary haha, but it's a good place, at least for me. I don't do law but I sneak into their lectures and they're great fun. I'm also informed by the several law students I've befriended that Queen Mary is a pretty respected law university, although this shouldn't be the biggest factor to consider. The culture at Queen Mary is nice. Plenty of societies and events. Very mixed place too, with people from all walks of life and from just about every country in the world too. There will be particularly lots of Canadians on the law course, because they're dodging the seven years of uni they'd face in Canada if they wanted to do law - drop this knowledge to score brownie points with them :tongue:. Being in London, there's always something happening in the city so you'll never be bored if you don't want to be!

So yeah, Queen Mary's pretty good in my eyes. But obviously I can't compare it to Manchester, of which I know very little but I'm sure is also a great place in its own right. You should go to the place which you like most, really, so think about it more and try to go to the offer holder days too if you need a second look at the universities.

Good luck with wherever you choose to go :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Scotland Yard
As a Queen Mary student, I am obviously biased towards Queen Mary haha, but it's a good place, at least for me. I don't do law but I sneak into their lectures and they're great fun. I'm also informed by the several law students I've befriended that Queen Mary is a pretty respected law university, although this shouldn't be the biggest factor to consider. The culture at Queen Mary is nice. Plenty of societies and events. Very mixed place too, with people from all walks of life and from just about every country in the world too. There will be particularly lots of Canadians on the law course, because they're dodging the seven years of uni they'd face in Canada if they wanted to do law - drop this knowledge to score brownie points with them :tongue:. Being in London, there's always something happening in the city so you'll never be bored if you don't want to be!

So yeah, Queen Mary's pretty good in my eyes. But obviously I can't compare it to Manchester, of which I know very little but I'm sure is also a great place in its own right. You should go to the place which you like most, really, so think about it more and try to go to the offer holder days too if you need a second look at the universities.

Good luck with wherever you choose to go :smile:

Thank you so much for sharing your perspective on Queen Mary's! It sounds like a fantastic experience, perhaps I'll look towards Queen Mary's a bit more now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending