The Student Room Group

WBS or Cass?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matthew1029
Imperial should be the one for you i guess! MSc Finance with Imperial is more quantative oriented.. and london location is definitely more favorable than that of wbs...

yeah...i know the Business Analytics and Consulting is tailored made for consultancy, but i dont really wanna stick to big4 any more. however, the fact is that to secure an occupation with big4 sounds more practical/possible for international students like me. IB should be more difficult. In my case, I just want to have 2-4 years of overseas w/e, so if i could not find ways into IB, big4 will do as well....then in this regard, the wbs course sounds no harm to my planning.....anyway............soooooooooooo torn btw.

from your posts it seems that you really want to go to Warwick...so maybe you should go there and see where it goes from there. People get FO IB jobs even without a masters degree. Networking is very important in the industry and in Warwick you will have a lot of exposure to the finance industry. However your course at Cass would shift you from not having a finance background.
Honestly, neither will get you interviews (true for any university) unless you are a good candidate to begin, that is, you have an excellent command of English.
Reply 42
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
Honestly, neither will get you interviews (true for any university) unless you are a good candidate to begin, that is, you have an excellent command of English.

Yes, i know...but let's skip all those criteria and focus on the program itself, do u have any suggestions?
Reply 43
Out of interest, do people on here think an MSc in Management from Imperial would help someone from a UK top 10 uni (having studied a social science at 2:1 level) break into IB?
Particularly given a strong business mind/financial awareness? Obviously its possible and it wont hurt, but how much do people think it will add? Pure quant. isn't the strongest point - mental maths etc good, but struggles a little with complex stuff (A-level tough/not enjoyable at all) - very entrepreneurial and fantastic recognition of a good businesses tho, and generally very smart, consistently made very good investments in personal portfolio and ran small online company as teenager (v profitable) while at school etc...straight A's at A-level in tough subjects....thoughts?

Back to the main point - I think Cass is a great school, and in many respects the course content (across a range of different MSc's) is the best Ive seen...however, it doesn't quite seem to hold the prestige of Imperial, LSE, LBS etc - certainly outside of IB the 'traditional' Unis are more respected. Inside of IB/Finance, I think it is a lot closer, and Im not 100% sure - I do, in many respects, think Cass actually prepares you for the job slightly more - I am torn between advising a good friend what to do!

Imperial generally seems to have an amazing rep., however, Im not utterly convinced the MSc Management program is quite as good at getting you into IB as Cass appear to be. I have spoken with a relatively senior guy at BofA/ML in London, 3rd year Associate/front office - did his MSc at Cass, recommends v highly - esp. if your target is Finance. His advice was basically, head to Cass if you want IB, go US/elsewhere UK/Europe if you want Consulting etc. Equally, people I have met in business generally are very impressed with Imperial, and one CEO I was talking with said he would be seriously Impressed with an MSc from there - much more so than Cass. I also get the impression Consulting firms love it - Ive never actually heard of Boose doing presentations anywhere else (certainly never heard anything at Warwick, Bath, Bristol, Durham etc...and not even from my ex-gf who was at Oxford and had a specific interest in Consulting) and they recruit there, as do McK, Bain etc etc.
Original post by matthew1029
Yes, i know...but let's skip all those criteria and focus on the program itself, do u have any suggestions?

Warwick has the better brand name, but Cass has the more focused course. To be honest the two courses are fairly equal if you ask me. You'll probably get an interview at most banks provided you can write good answers to the application form questions.
Reply 45
[QUOTE="Roxas;31149278" Mr.="Mr."]I actually know off two guys who graduated from the program who are now investment bankers at UBS. I'm sure a few of their former classmates are doing the same thing too. One of the guys mentioned a friend is at Citi.[/QUOTE

Thanks for ur info, but can u share the contacts of the two ppl u mentioned who were doing the course at WBS? I suppose I could get some first hand ref from them
Hi Guys,I am planning to join in WARWICK for masters in management program. i have 8.45 CGPA in my undergraduate and currently a working professional.i would like to know my chances of getting in to WBS.Can anyone pls suggest me the deadlines and best way to get into WBS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending