The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Carl

Second:

Howard: everyone should have guns

Howard: citizens delivering their own justice is wrong.

Which is it?

Point well made. :redface:
Carl

Second:

Howard: everyone should have guns

Howard: citizens delivering their own justice is wrong.

Which is it?

Just because everyone has guns does not mean that people would use them to dish out justice, though.
Reply 62
"Don't forget that organised militias (aka the armed forces) make the second amendment, and laws like it, somewhat redundant."

In the US, organised militias does not necessarily equal "the armed forces". You can legally form an armed militia, such as a neighboorhood watch group. As long as you follow the letter of the law.

"Howard: everyone should have guns

Howard: citizens delivering their own justice is wrong."

Yes, citizens should not deliver thier own justice.

They CAN however, do a citizens arrest, and use a handgun. (using the existing state and federal laws) A few people do this when it comes to arresting DUI suspects. They simply proclaim citizens arrest, and hold the people at gunpoint, while calling the cops.

I really don't know whether the UK cops should carry guns. As long as they can call in for armed backup, I don't see why it matters.
Reply 63
"Don't forget that organised militias (aka the armed forces) make the second amendment, and laws like it, somewhat redundant."

In the US, organised militias does not necessarily equal "the armed forces". You can legally form an armed militia, such as a neighboorhood watch group. As long as you follow the letter of the law.

They CAN however, do a citizens arrest, and use a handgun. (using the existing state and federal laws) A few people do this when it comes to arresting DUI suspects. They simply proclaim citizens arrest, and hold the people at gunpoint, while calling the cops.

I really don't know whether the UK cops should carry guns. As long as they can call in for armed backup, I don't see why it matters.
Reply 64
psychic_satori
Just because everyone has guns does not mean that people would use them to dish out justice, though.
Oh no!!!! Not Bing Crosby...............................?
Reply 65
psychic_satori
Douglas

I tried to find something Christmas-y. I was going to do a thing from It's a Wonderful Life, but all of the pictures I found were too big for it to look decent as an avatar. So, since I like White Christmas, I picked Bing...I figured nobody would know who Danny Kaye was. :smile:

Edit: But don't worry, my old buddy Jimmy Stewart from Mr. Smith Goes To Washington shall return in a couple of weeks :biggrin:
Douglas

I tried to find something Christmas-y. I was going to do a thing from It's a Wonderful Life, but all of the pictures I found were too big for it to look decent as an avatar. So, since I like White Christmas, I picked Bing...I figured nobody would know who Danny Kaye was. :smile:

Edit: But don't worry, my old buddy Jimmy Stewart from Mr. Smith Goes To Washington shall return in a couple of weeks :biggrin:
Reply 68
psychic_satori
So what about everyone above who would SHOOT somebody to protect their interests. Is that not some form of martial justice?
Reply 69
psychic_satori
So what about everyone above who would SHOOT somebody to protect their interests. Is that not some form of martial justice?
Reply 70
djchak

And if said drug deal does not co-operate? Would you shoot him; thus rendering instant justice, or let him go; rendering holding a gun unnecessary in the first?
Reply 71
djchak

And if said drug deal does not co-operate? Would you shoot him; thus rendering instant justice, or let him go; rendering holding a gun unnecessary in the first?
Reply 72
Batazer
First of all, the British police have traditionally never been armed, and look how many gun deaths there are a year - a few.

In America, hundreds of people die by gun shots, and the police are armed over there.

So having no armed police patrolling around in streets brings calmness to the communities of Britain, I think.

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc, eh? Tut.

(I concur with Howard.)
Reply 73
Batazer
First of all, the British police have traditionally never been armed, and look how many gun deaths there are a year - a few.

In America, hundreds of people die by gun shots, and the police are armed over there.

So having no armed police patrolling around in streets brings calmness to the communities of Britain, I think.

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc, eh? Tut.

(I concur with Howard.)
Carl

It's a highly uncommon occurence. Obviously if someone has demonstrated a lack of mental stability, they shouldn't be permitted to own a firearm, but something like 99% of legal gun owners never use their firearm in a crime (which would include martial justice). The Swiss don't seem to have a problem with it.
Carl

It's a highly uncommon occurence. Obviously if someone has demonstrated a lack of mental stability, they shouldn't be permitted to own a firearm, but something like 99% of legal gun owners never use their firearm in a crime (which would include martial justice). The Swiss don't seem to have a problem with it.
Reply 76
psychic_satori
why would they need a gun if the chances are they'd never use it?
Reply 77
psychic_satori
Carl

Well, have you ever looked down the barrel of a gun? It doesn't exactly embolden most individuals to take their chances and be uncooperative, regardless of the knowledge that the person holding the gun has no legal authority to shoot them.

--------------

Carl

Few of us base our personal choices by statistical probability.

Also, there are recreational purposes for firearms.
Carl

Well, have you ever looked down the barrel of a gun? It doesn't exactly embolden most individuals to take their chances and be uncooperative, regardless of the knowledge that the person holding the gun has no legal authority to shoot them.

--------------

Carl

Few of us base our personal choices by statistical probability.

Also, there are recreational purposes for firearms.

Latest

Trending

Trending