The Student Room Group

Police officer OR Paramedic, which is the more respected Job?

Ive been toying with the idea of becoming either a police officer OR a paramedic.

I know both are completely different yet both are on the front line and that's what appeals to me.

However, one major thing that is very important to me is having a career that is respected. This is just a personal thing for me.

So im curious, which one do you believe is more respected? Police or paramedic?
Reply 1
Respected?

No-one is going to curtsey to you in the street doing either job.

And if you just want other people's adulation then you need to rethink your career aims.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Respected?

No-one is going to curtsey to you in the street doing either job.

And if you just want other people's adulation then you need to rethink your career aims.

Yes, respected. It's important to me to have a respected, professional job.

I never said anything about wanting adulation or for people to curtsey me in the street, but like I said, having a respectable career means alot to me.

Both of these careers appeal to me, for many many many other reasons i havn't mentioned, and im torn.

So yes, it'll end up coming down to which one i think gets more respect from the general public etc...
Reply 3
Original post by ZenDixon
more respect from the general public etc...

How do you intend to measure this 'respect'?
Reply 4
How do you intend to measure this 'respect'?

We can measure respect by communicating with many different people. Listening to what they have to say and taking on board their opinions.

Ive already asked the question on multiple sites, plus asking friends and family, and have gotten amazing opinions and feedback. You are currently the only person so far who has simply refused to answer the question and instead, has focused on trying to locate the negativity of my question. But that's completely fine as I was half expecting it, although like I said, you are the only one.

So, back to my original question, which is more respected; Police Or Paramedic? The question is clearly subjective and I understand that.

But, once ive taken on board everyones answers I can then reflect myself, and finally make my own decision on which path to go down.
Reply 5
Because if people's opinions matter so much to you, the tough daily reality of either job means you wont last 5 minutes.

That is if you even get through the interview - why do you want this job - "So that people tell me I'm wonderful all the time' - yup, that should work.
Reply 6
Ive been toying with the idea of becoming either a police officer OR a paramedic.

I know both are completely different yet both are on the front line and that's what appeals to me.

However, one major thing that is very important to me is having a career that is respected. This is just a personal thing for me.

So im curious, which one do you believe is more respected? Police or paramedic?

Paramedic imo. You’d help save lives!! Police officers atm are given little respect due to bad police officers ruining their image. Being a paramedic would be much more rewarding in terms of feeling like you’ve changed someone’s life, a lot of policing now is filling out paperwork therefore it wouldn’t be as fulfilling. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 7
Because if people's opinions matter so much to you, the tough daily reality of either job means you wont last 5 minutes.

That is if you even get through the interview - why do you want this job - "So that people tell me I'm wonderful all the time' - yup, that should work.

Before assuming and mocking, can you please read my posts properly? I literally state on my post above that both careers appeal to me for many many other reasons..........

So, when my interview comes around, i will probably talk about those reasons.... DUH!
Reply 8
Original post by EVMD17
Paramedic imo. You’d help save lives!! Police officers atm are given little respect due to bad police officers ruining their image. Being a paramedic would be much more rewarding in terms of feeling like you’ve changed someone’s life, a lot of policing now is filling out paperwork therefore it wouldn’t be as fulfilling. Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks friend. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Paramedic imo, so much less scandal ruining it and more people will be glad to see you.
Reply 10
Paramedic for sure.
People are always happy to see a medic, not so the police.

Socially, although nobody in my circle is anti police, if I met an officer socially I would be guarded. If I met a paramedic I would be way more friendly and admire their work.

Obviously there are good police officers, but their standing in public opinion is tainted by the bad ones.
There may be rogue paramedics but fewer.
I don’t understand the logic behind police/paramedic. You either want to do one or both.
Reply 11
Original post by domonict
Paramedic for sure.
People are always happy to see a medic, not so the police.

Socially, although nobody in my circle is anti police, if I met an officer socially I would be guarded. If I met a paramedic I would be way more friendly and admire their work.

Obviously there are good police officers, but their standing in public opinion is tainted by the bad ones.
There may be rogue paramedics but fewer.
I don’t understand the logic behind police/paramedic. You either want to do one or both.

Hey thanks for this. So interestingly, when you say 'guarded' , is that in a more intimidating way? Or a disgust way etc?

Im just trying to paint a picture really. I understand some people don't really like the police, but i always assumed these people arw the ones who kinda have something to hide themselves, and/or have heard bad things from other people.

What do you think actually makes normal people feel abit guarded/intimidated when they see police officers?
What do you think actually makes normal people feel abit guarded/intimidated when they see police officers?

Because people suspect that they never really turn their police senses off and are always snooping and remembering. Pretty much EVERYONE has 'something to hide' when you get down to it and the police know this fine well - There's a reason the phrase 'If you've nothing to hide you've nothing to fear' is seen as a cynical joke.

I don't disrespect police but I cant really associate with them without placing everyone in an awkward situation and a lot of people feel the same, they won't really want police in their homes, parties, bars etc as it tends to have a sobering effect on everyone.

And in terms of intimidation you have to take into account they dress like paramilitaries and near uniquely in the UK, armed.

Quick Reply

Latest