The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Steevee
On TSR and on some other forums. When people defend Black women's looks (not that they are under attack) they tend to post mixed race women, or women with more European features rather than saharan features.

This is nonsense. As I've said, there's no monopoly. This is similiar to a situation where people talk about weave like it's only white girls who have straight hair (may I say, I've never seen a black person with natural straight hair, but that is not the crux of my point)
Original post by JaiiStarh
Light skin black girl,dark skin black girl,mixed race girl, we all share the same culture and history anyway :biggrin:

This :smile:
Original post by aprilterri
Exactly
Most people of Caribbean heritage have different races in them but are ultimately black. I am the same but I am black. I have light skinned aunts and uncles and dark skinned aunts and uncles and some 'middle toned ones'. They have the same parents. It does not mean that the light skinned ones can't be considered black or 'aren't black enough'. TSR is supposed to be full of educated people but the ignorance astounds me.

Exactly! I think people are either trying to be toooo technical,in the fact that pretty much every black person is 'mixed race'....or people are being to ignorant,by assuming every light skin person is mixed race and they must have one black one white parent.:s-smilie:
Original post by SchadenfreudeDude
Black people?

On TSR?

WHERE?

Original post by JaiiStarh
:wavey:

:happy2:
rihanna is not mixed race...she's black...mixed race to black people and mixed race to other races is totally different imy..when black people talk about mixed race people it's black and white...rihannas full black imo
Original post by Steevee
On TSR and on some other forums. When people defend Black women's looks (not that they are under attack) they tend to post mixed race women, or women with more European features rather than saharan features.

What do you class as european features? Or what are saharan features? I'm intrigued.
Reply 46
Original post by SuperGuy
The problem is, people only seem to deem africans as 'truly black' (whatever that's become :s-smilie:). Weird, I know.

I know.
I would then not be classed as truely black and I'm 'middle toned'. Apparently I need dark skin, to be from africa, thick short hair, a big bum, and a thick nose. The view is so flawed. The black race is so diverse and these people are so ignorant. Just look with rhianna. Why is the first conclusion that she is mixed? Light skinned people existed way before we had our current level of mixing. In fact I tend to think the opposite and assume that most people are just light skinned black people. How comes people can except that you have light skinned and dark skinned Asians and olive skinned and pale whites but not when it comes to black people?
The limited perception of racial tones now is astounding. There used to be 27 different recongnised skin tones in Jamacia. That people now just see white, black, mixed, asian is shocking. Admitidly its in part due to attempts to remove the importance of skin tone which is good but its still suprising that people fail to revognise there are more than that.

Original post by jessie6693
Being mixed race shouldn't exclude you from being considered black. I'm not saying that the "one drop" rule is correct, but I don't think people should be excluded from a race just because of their mixed parentage. I am mixed race, my mother is Zambian and my father is Caucasian. I find it very offensive when people say to me "you're not black!" because of my white features and my light skin. I know that myself, and many other mixed race people, struggle with the idea of exclusion from their race. I consider myself both black and white, yet many people would not consider me a member of either.

I get the same thing. Have white people saying I'm not really black and they expect me to say I'm English whereas black people say that I'm not white and expect me to say I'm from Barbados if asked where I'm from.
Reply 48
Original post by ChaoticMaster
are you saying that all black girls are unatrractive? it doesn't fit with the rest of your post.

No. I am playing on certain views people have about black people. By the way, a person can have lips so big, it's unnattractive to many.
Reply 49
This is nonsense. As I've said, there's no monopoly. This is similiar to a situation where people talk about weave like it's only white girls who have straight hair (may I say, I've never seen a black person with natural straight hair, but that is not the crux of my point)

Eugh. Come on, lets be honest. There are certain features that hail from certain parts of the world. You can't deny that.

My point is only that these black women are not 'African' looking in the traditional sense. I'm not saying you cannot be black if you have features from other areas, but clearly those features are not African, so the person is of mixed race.
Reply 50

Technically, all gene pools come from Africa. Thus, your argument, even though understood, is a bit shaky.
Original post by Vikki1805
Does it really matter about the colour of someones skin? :dry:

of course it does...colour can get you killed...kicked off talent shows...harrased by police...followed in stores lol
Original post by dennisraymondsmith
of course it does...colour can get you killed...kicked off talent shows...harrased by police...followed in stores lol

But I mean, why are we all so bothered? A person is a person, surely?
Ah I dunno, I'm just gonna smile and nod :biggrin:
Original post by dennisraymondsmith

Hahahaha this!:tongue:
Colour can also represent culture,which is pretty important to most people:biggrin:
Original post by fro123
She is mixed race. She has a grandparents of irish descent

One white grandparent doesn't make her bi-racial then.
Original post by Steevee
Eugh. Come on, lets be honest. There are certain features that hail from certain parts of the world. You can't deny that.

My point is only that these black women are not 'African' looking in the traditional sense. I'm not saying you cannot be black if you have features from other areas, but clearly those features are not African, so the person is of mixed race.

I'm sorry but that's an ignorant statement. And you still have yet to say what you deem to be 'typically' African.
Reply 56
Original post by Steevee

Of course, but the problem is that MOST Europeans don't have those features, particularly to the extent to which many of the black girls in the images posted have them, that is my point.
Reply 57
Original post by Nomes89
What do you class as european features? Or what are saharan features? I'm intrigued.

European. Higher cheekbones. Slimmer faces. Slimmer noses. These aren't uniquely European, but together they form a European face.

Saharan. Wider, flatter noses. Larger brows and larger lips.

For reference.

EUROPEAN

SAHARAN

Reply 58
Original post by Nomes89
I'm sorry but that's an ignorant statement. And you still have yet to say what you deem to be 'typically' African.

What's ignorant about it? :s-smilie:

Of course, but the problem is that MOST Europeans don't have those features, particularly to the extent to which many of the black girls in the images posted have them, that is my point.

No, but it is a feature, or set of features that are predominant in that area. It's not really an issue of opinion. There are whole fields of science dedicated to looking at the differences between people from different regions.
Reply 59
Original post by Vikki1805
But I mean, why are we all so bothered? A person is a person, surely?
Ah I dunno, I'm just gonna smile and nod :biggrin:

Many people prefer to address the issue rather than refer to idealistic, inane woffle. I'm apologize, but few problems are solved that easily. Discussion is the way to better understand the sources and the solutions of these views.

Latest

Trending

Trending