The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Paper 1 Language

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Horrid_GUI
The watch was definitely pink for me, the background of the opinion from "connect.garmin.com" or something at the top was definitely red.

It looked pink to me :sad:

That's pink right? That's how it looked like to me...
only did like a paragraph for Q1 and almost a page for Q3

I did about the same as that I think. Don't worry, there's no point in writing pages and pages for a 6 mark question - quality not quantity!
I thought it was red...
Reply 103
That was solid :frown: I think they required too much information in a short period of time :frown:
Original post by a rusH

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_X0PjLHHXs1c/TU3eclPO5dI/AAAAAAAAAAQ/Ax1b9u7oSR4/s1600/dssb-056_hot_pink.gif

I'm wondering if some people didn't have original inserts and maybe photocopies?

But surely the inserts are a piece of the exam and come in the same plastic wrapping upon delivery of the whole centres test papers for that day :s-smilie:

Also maybe lighting conditions affected how some of us perceived the tones of the two colours, the insert felt like it was glossed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Yeahhh I wrote that the colour red connotes passion so it will make them passionate about losing weight or some crap like that LOL

Aaaaaargh I didn't write this! I sort of forgot about relating it to other things so I just put how red was bold and provided a contrast making it easily read by all. Instead I wrote about how the backdrop was one of some sort of exotic desert terrain, therefore it suggests that the woman has 'come very far' and 'reached new heights' of running excellence :colondollar:
Reply 106
Original post by Horrid_GUI
I'm wondering if some people didn't have original inserts and maybe photocopies?

But surely the inserts are a piece of the exam and come in the same plastic wrapping upon delivery of the whole centres test papers for that day :s-smilie:

Maybe I just have bad eyesight haha :/
Original post by Spellstheend
I thought it was red...

Snap...
**** the bed, I googled the advert and it really is pink. I thought it was red so wrote nothing about gender appeal FML
http://www.visit4ads.com/advert/Garmin-FR60-Sports-Watch-Garmin/75193

I guess if enough people made the same mistake it's okay.
what was the whole question for the ADVISE bit in writing section B? Please..anyone?
Reply 110
Thats not the exact same advertisement as the watch was a different colour... I'm sure

Although you could argue that it is pink and therefore aimed at woman, I think that the watch is uni-sex. Logically, why would the product not be aimed at men as well? Moreover, the article was made by and included quotes from a man (David something his name was)

I argued that the jacket, watch and text boxes were red, which connotes health and fitness, thus making the target audience intrigued as they too want to maintain a good level of fitness, thus persuading them to buy the product

Then again, I could be talking out of my buttocks :biggrin:

I think the exam went reasonably well. I expected question 1 to be summarise instead of "give evidence" which nearly confused me but I think I did okay there. Everything went reasonably well. More of the same Wednesday please :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 111
Original post by berryripple
**** the bed, I googled the advert and it really is pink. I thought it was red so wrote nothing about gender appeal FML
http://www.visit4ads.com/advert/Garmin-FR60-Sports-Watch-Garmin/75193

I guess if enough people made the same mistake it's okay.

My insert advert was definatley red. That isn't the same one, because the watch on it was red and had different things on the watch, I remember that much.

Yeahhh I wrote that the colour red connotes passion so it will make them passionate about losing weight or some crap like that LOL

Hmmm, I wrote that red connotes health and the heart and blood pumping...
Reply 113
Original post by a rusH

That's exactly what I saw!!!! And my friends called it red! I thought I was colour blind for a second!
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm definitely glad that I didn't comment on the colour, considering the debate that is going on about what colour the advert actually was lol :smile:
Original post by Bardem
As long as you substantiated your point, I don't see why any analysis would be seen as 'wrong', its your own interpretation. Presentational devices wise, I talked about product placement, colour contrast, typeface & font etc. I said she looked calm and confident with the help of her new fitness tool (OWTTE). DON'T WORRY, ANYTHING GOES!

YES! Ok I more or less wrote this, without the font bit but everything else was similar to what you wrote. Do you know how many points would be required for full marks in the 8 mark question? I only mentioned about 4 things, although I did elaborate
Reply 116
Original post by tnetennba
I did 3 sides for Q1, 2 sides for Q2 and 2 sides for Q3.

You only had to make 6 points. How did you do that much :s-smilie: ?
Guys what I think has happened iseither AQA or our school centres have a mess of this paper. From people's reactions, it seems that some people had the advert where the colour was red, and others had a colour that looked pink. For example, people that had an advert where the colour looked pink, was it exactly the same as this one: http://www.visit4ads.com/advert/Garmin-FR60-Sports-Watch-Garmin/75193 (I mean exactly the same, as in the direction and colour of the actual watch too...) If your advert didn't look like the one in that link, then you had the same one as mine - where the colour was definitely red and the watch was also red, instead of purple, and the direction of it was different..something like this: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://i1.expansys.com/img/l/204730/garmin-fr60-womens-sports-watch-bundle.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.expansys.com/garmin-fr60-womens-sports-watch-bundle-pink-foot-pod-usb-ant-stick-heart-rate-monitor-204730/&usg=__-6LJPXlevEs6M6ZoC16_7a3lN-w=&h=162&w=162&sz=21&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=CN-Ir4JuB4wEkM:&tbnh=129&tbnw=129&ei=xUTRTfuoFIiwhAeXwLHADQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgarmin%2Bfr60%2Bsports%2Bwatch%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial%26biw%3D1360%26bih%3D587%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=465&vpy=119&dur=662&hovh=129&hovw=129&tx=99&ty=67&page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0 right?
Weird, huh? :s-smilie:
Reply 118
Original post by Satta101
That's exactly what I saw!!!! And my friends called it red! I though I was colour blind for a second!

Well we can be colour blind together :hugs:
And future medics! :bigsmile:
Does anyone know what context the Garmin advert was in? I automatically assumed that it was in some sort of magazine... thus I started writing about how some of the text being in the bottom right hand corner meant it was sure to be seen by someone flicking the page over as that is where the eyes usually wander as you flick... too tenuous?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending