The Student Room Group

Higher Maths Post Mortem thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Derry Rhumba
i got stationary points of 1/3, 1 and -1

so did a lot of the people i spoke to.

Just a normal question i thought

Yeah, that was all good, until you got -50/27 for the y-co-ordinate. I was like this :lolwut: so then of course I couldn't draw the graphs with my screwed up co-ordinates so now the SQA will think I don't know that -f(x) means reflected in the x axis, which I knew!!

My friend was right. He said that the rest of the country would've been fine with that question and it would just be our school who f***ed it up.
Reply 21
i got stationary points of 1/3, 1 and -1

so did a lot of the people i spoke to.

Just a normal question i thought

Only problem about that question was the third that you had to substitute. Eventually I got something like 55/27
Original post by Inlineadam
I thought they gave me the advanced higher paper 2?

LAst page was absolutely ridiculous. I couldn't even begin the 5 marker = 5 marks lost

7 marker, not a slightest of clue = 7 marks lost

9 marker, you having a joke? i rattled a few things done = about 6 lost..

18 marks down the drain. I was hoping for an A, but now my hopes are set on a B.

Damn you SQA.

Looks like there's a whole graveyard being built of disappointed hopes and A's that will sadly never be. Who votes that we form a lynch mob and attack the SQA headquarters? We could make a day of it, I believe it's in Glasgow...:biggrin:
Reply 23
Anybody have a copy of the papers?
You know, I think this video may come in useful after all...even if it has lead to me failing Maths.

Anyone else with me? Let's start a riot. :biggrin:
I resorted to counting the marks in paper 2... think it was about 59.

So out of 129 in total.

I hope paper 1 pulls me up.

If i lost 20 in paper 2, and 20 in paper 1, thats 70%.... hmmm
fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml fml
Reply 27
Feelings right now: failure.
Reply 28
Original post by Kelsper
Feelings right now: failure.

Ur not alone
Original post by NaturalDisaster
Yeah, that was all good, until you got -50/27 for the y-co-ordinate. I was like this :lolwut: so then of course I couldn't draw the graphs with my screwed up co-ordinates so now the SQA will think I don't know that -f(x) means reflected in the x axis, which I knew!!

My friend was right. He said that the rest of the country would've been fine with that question and it would just be our school who f***ed it up.

But you substitute 1/3 into f(x) not f ' (x) and somehow i got something like 1 or 2 for the y coordinate.... :confused:

im probs wrong tho

BYE BYE A :biggrin:
Reply 30
Is there any chance of them lowering the A boundaries this year?
Reply 31
I thought paper 1 was easy and paper 2 was not bad either. I managed to have a good go at all of the questions.
The hardest one for me was probably the 7mark trigonometry question but I reckon i still have about 4 of the marks from that at least.
I found the 9mark circle question quite easy actually. I Managed to figure out what to do quite quickly.

I have a copy of paper 1 and paper 2 but cant scan it to upload it. Wasn't anyone else allowed to take the papers out of the exam hall?
Original post by Inheritorz

no because there will be some goodie two shoes swat who revises for 10 hours a night that got 100%. Like a girl in my school... SHE HAD 3 CALCULATORS!!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
Reply 33
Original post by Inheritorz

I wouldn't think so unfortunately because they practically threw marks at you with the easy 10mark integration question
Original post by legion99
i wouldn't think so unfortunately because they practically threw marks at you with the easy 10mark integration question

easy???? Who the **** you kiddin!!!!!!!?????????????? :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
Reply 35
Original post by NaturalDisaster

I got this too! :frown: Completely threw me off guard, and I literally had no idea what the other root was, apart from 2. Ended up just missing out the two graphs. :l
Reply 36
easy???? Who the **** you kiddin!!!!!!!?????????????? :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I agree The sqa are morons WTF was all those high mark questions arghhh I got A prelim I'm truly screwed
Reply 37
Original post by legion99
I wouldn't think so unfortunately because they practically threw marks at you with the easy 10mark integration question

I actually thought it was harder than the 2010 paper. Nevertheless it was still OK. Integration was OK, that 7 mark log graph question in paper 2 was hard though, and the circle question took a bit of thinking. After working out the distance between points (I think 5) , the radius of circle 1 (11) , and the centre points I got something like root 13 - c, but did not have a clue where to go from there.

Really Really would like another look at the papers. Anybody?
Reply 38
My answer for the circle question at the end of paper 2 was: -23<P<13
Original post by Semple
I got this too! :frown: Completely threw me off guard, and I literally had no idea what the other root was, apart from 2. Ended up just missing out the two graphs. :l

I just stuck a random squiggly lined graph and then mirrored it in the vain hope I would get a point for knowing how to do that. :lol: And far too many D's and C's in the multiple choice there. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending