The Student Room Group

aqa gcse english lit paper 24/05/11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
same...except i did death of a naturalist instead of digging :wink: i can see why digging could be hard though but if you did that for your last poem you only need one or two points on it...
dont worry i didnt mention that either about patrolling barnegat you cant write everything in an hour!!
I did OMAM - damaged lives

and loved the poetry question...About love

Compared them to: Sonnet 130, On My First Sonne, Mother any Distance and Before You Were Mine.

Anyone do these? :wink:
Original post by TheFootyKing19
I did OMAM - damaged lives

and loved the poetry question...About love

Compared them to: Sonnet 130, On My First Sonne, Mother any Distance and Before You Were Mine.

Anyone do these? :wink:

I did On My First Sonne, Mother, Sonnet 130, and Anne Hathaway.

How did you manage to do Before You Were Mine? I would've only been able to relate it to love in only 1 way lol.
I hate Before You Were Mine, it's such an annoying and silly poem. :lol:
Reply 64
I did the learning things from experience for To Kill A Mockingbird, it was a surprisingly nice question compared to the older papers.
Poetry comparison four way about love, I used On My First Sonne, The Laboratory, Mother, any distance and finally Anne Hathaway.
I thought I didn't include constant comparison/contrast, just bits here and there, and at the start and the end in regard to all four poems. I did do lots of close textual analysis, alternative interpretations, analysed form/structure/language for effect many times and linked a bit between poems. Should I get an A* if my coursework folder was full marks and I did decently on the first question?
Reply 65
Original post by MSI_10
...Ralph?

Simon was the obvious choice, but still...

The other question was easier- because there's soooooooo much stuff to write about- I had to narrow down to only a few points.

If I had infinite time, I seriously would of written a 8 page essay lol...

Oh btw, your points about Simon are great...

Did you also mention that near the end, Simon's death is, yet again, mentioned by the narrator? It would be a good way to end.

I argued that piggy was the hero, but i mentioned all 4 main characters pretty much equally and the qualities that make them a hero and those that dont but nobody else seems to have done that does that mean I have done it wrong ??
Reply 66
Did anyone write a conclusion for any of their essays? I didn't - were we supposed to?
Reply 67
sandy95 I did, but only because my english teacher always makes us. My conclusion for TKAM was: "In this novel, Lee presents a variety of characters learning, or indeed not learning, from their experiences in a variety of ways."

For the poetry, I wibbled about the first bit of the question that I sort of forgot to answer.
Original post by JOR2010
I did the learning things from experience for To Kill A Mockingbird, it was a surprisingly nice question compared to the older papers.
Poetry comparison four way about love, I used On My First Sonne, The Laboratory, Mother, any distance and finally Anne Hathaway.
I thought I didn't include constant comparison/contrast, just bits here and there, and at the start and the end in regard to all four poems. I did do lots of close textual analysis, alternative interpretations, analysed form/structure/language for effect many times and linked a bit between poems. Should I get an A* if my coursework folder was full marks and I did decently on the first question?

We did exactly the same q's for tkam and poetry, and exactly the same poems.
Great minds think alike ;D
Reply 69
I thought the section on Of Mice and Men where you had to write about damaged lives was the hardest part. I wrote 3 pages then decided I did them wrong so had to do them again ... thought I was annotating the story rather than explaining how each characters life is damaged :frown: ! Thought I did better on my second draft, I wrote about how each character symbalises something bigger ie Lennie the wise fool, Curley's wife as woman seeing as temptatious etc. Also wrote about how loneliness has affected their lives and how dreams are often shattered. I really could have done with more revision on the novel but I guess it's too late now ... just hoping and praying I do well!

I thought the second section was much easier. Wrote about how poets express love in the novels. Compared Sonnet 130, Anne Hathaway, On my First Sonne and Mother any Distance. Thought the topic was something interesting so quite easy to do :smile:! Hoping that section and my coursework will get me the marks I need :smile:!

Good Luck to everyone who sat the exam, hope you all did well! :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by sandy95
Did anyone write a conclusion for any of their essays? I didn't - were we supposed to?

I wrote a conclusion about what all 4 poems were about, how they were similar etc. My teachers always told me to do this but we were told it wasn't absolutely needed as the conclusion is often similar to the opening paragraph where you explain the poems.

Hope you did well, sure you will have :smile:
Original post by 03hope03
For my language I did 15 sides for each paper :biggrin:

No. Seriously?:s-smilie:
Reply 72
Original post by chloooeee
Me! :smile:
I did queston 19, the one in which it asks about how Robert Cormier shows how Francis changes throughout the novel. What question did you do? Wrote waay more than I thought I could, 6 quotes! ^.^ - I'm not a speedy writer :smile:

Which poetry question did you do?
I did number 22 and chose to compare Death of a Naturalist with Cold Knap Lake and Song of the Old Mother with On my first Sonne.

I was so chuffed after the exam because language was a huge shambles. :s-smilie:

I did the other question which asked about what a true hero is. For the poetry, we learned the Duffy/Armitage poems so I did the question about love. I'm not a fast writer too :smile:

I'm not sure how I did on any English exams, I shall wait until results day...
Reply 73
Original post by ali15
I wrote a conclusion about what all 4 poems were about, how they were similar etc. My teachers always told me to do this but we were told it wasn't absolutely needed as the conclusion is often similar to the opening paragraph where you explain the poems.

Hope you did well, sure you will have :smile:

Thanks... I hope they won't penalise me for that :s-smilie: Hope we get the grades we wanted! :smile:
Reply 74
I think as long as you show evidence of comparing/contrasting the poems, there's no problem not having a conclusion.
How much comparison/contrast is necessary for best grades?
Reply 75
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
No. Seriously?:s-smilie:

Mmmhm, totally being serious. I do have extra time though so that probably added maybe 3 pages to that :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by JOR2010

Sounds good! Fingers crossed for that D mate!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending